Challenge cache logging requirements

FelixRocks

I was told by a fellow cacher that at an event in Oregon they were told that effective 1-1-2020 For challenge caches you no longer have to find the cache & sign the log.  They were told that as long as you qualify for the challenge you can log a found it; even if you are in Oregon and the physical cache is in North Carolina.  Shouldn’t it be a write note & if you go to that State & find the cache & sign the log then you can log a found it?

3 minutes ago, FelixRocks said:

I was told by a fellow cacher that at an event in Oregon they were told that effective 1-1-2020 For challenge caches you no longer have to find the cache & sign the log.  They were told that as long as you qualify for the challenge you can log a found it; even if you are in Oregon and the physical cache is in North Carolina.  Shouldn’t it be a write note & if you go to that State & find the cache & sign the log then you can log a found it?

From the Help Center article Challenge caches (emphasis added):

"Cachers may sign a challenge cache's physical log at any time. However, the challenge cache may be logged as found online only after the log is signed and the challenge tasks have been met and documented."

It looks like this fellow cacher was mistaken.

4 minutes ago, FelixRocks said:

The Help Centre as of this minute still says:

A challenge cache requires seekers to find an associated physical cache, and to find an additional set of geocaches as defined by the challenge owner.

so if that's true they're keeping quiet about it. If that were to occur, I'd be archiving my two challenges as they're as much of a challenge getting to the physical cache as they are qualifying (the qualifications and the physical cache follow the same theme).

• Helpful 2

I think your friend may be confused because of the change in the the verification part of logging of challenges published after April 21 2015 (?).

For those challenges, the finder no longer has to provide any verification that they qualify. It's the cache owner's job to use the checker.   Challenges published before that date can still require cache finders to list qualifications. Either way, the log must be signed.

Edited by Isonzo Karst
  • Helpful 1
19 hours ago, FelixRocks said:

Thank you everyone for your responses.  I knew what I was told could not be correct because then all cachers around the world could claim challenge caches anywhere in the world and never go to the actual cache.  I just wanted to verify I was thinking correctly. 

Make sure to pass this back to the ill-informed cacher in question so they don't go bogus-logging caches all over the world. :laughing:

• Helpful 1