Adventure lab integration

Rathergohiking

I wish Adventure Labs were better integrated into geocaching.com. It is surprising how many geocachers know almost nothing about them. I just published one in Houston and have for the most part relied on word of mouth to spread the word about it. 

Some of my gripes are:

There is no way to be notified via email when one is published. 

AL are not included in such areas as the last caches viewed, last caches found, etc. on geocaching.com. 

You cannot apply a favorite point to a AL. 

You cannot view any prior logs. 

Those come to mind right away, sure there are more.

Seems like Adventure Labs would be more effective and enjoyed more if they were integrated in the same basic manner of other icons (for example Multis) within geocaching.com. 

Any way, just my view, so express yours too.....

• Upvote 5
19 hours ago, Rathergohiking said:

Some of my gripes are:

There is no way to be notified via email when one is published. True - but most of the ones published near me have had a regular cache (Mystery, Traditional, etc) published by the CO at the same time, announcing the Adventure Lab and leading folks to do that as well as find the published cache.

AL are not included in such areas as the last caches viewed, last caches found, etc. on geocaching.com. Agreed that this is frustrating!

You cannot apply a favorite point to a AL. You can rate the completed lab from 1 - 5 stars; 5 stars is as close to a favorite point as you will get.  And you can rate each one at 5 stars if you want - no earning the stars before you can hand them out.

You cannot view any prior logs. Yes, you can  - on the home page for each Lab, click on Activity, and you can see your log as well as all prior logs.  **ETA - It places my log as the first log I see, and those that found it after mee are below mine.  That's confusing, especially since hubby and I did it togethr and our logs are now separated by anyone who visited in between today and our visit.

Edited by CAVinoGal
Additional information
  • Upvote 2
On 1/3/2020 at 1:06 PM, Lynx Humble said:

In the last podcast they said that they plan to integrate the adventures labs into the geocache app sometimes this year but I will never understand why they didn't do it from the beginning.

Cool - I hope the website shows them also, and even other apps eg Cachly.... 

• Upvote 1
On 1/2/2020 at 10:06 PM, Lynx Humble said:

In the last podcast they said that they plan to integrate the adventures labs into the geocache app sometimes this year but I will never understand why they didn't do it from the beginning.

More than 2.5 months since the podcast any news about the integration progression?

The fact they are not integrated on the same map might explain why there are 2 lab caches at the same spot (twice) in my area...

• Upvote 1
On 1/3/2020 at 3:06 AM, Lynx Humble said:

Well, that never happened... :/

• Surprised 1
2 minutes ago, Squirrelinthemiddle said:

Bother the geocaching web site and c:geo. It doesn't show up in the list of filters at all. I dont know about the newest app version. It is the one which went funny a week or so ago.

This feature is not available on the geocaching website. I have no knowledge of the app you mention. Sorry!

On 5/15/2021 at 11:36 AM, Keystone said:

I can see the Adventure Lab starting points just fine in the official Geocaching App. 

I am using the official Groundspeak app for Droid and confirmed I don't have any pending updates for it. Adventure Labs still don't show up on my app map.

18 hours ago, Moun10Bike said:

You probably need to log out and back in again.

Thanks. That solved the issue for me.

Early this year there was a problem with the app where it sometimes wouldn't load caches on the map in new areas. That issue was also solved by logging out and logging back in.

I'm not clear on why this works, but it's a solution that can be a hindrance if I'm in the middle of a hike or trip trouble remembering my password. It would be nice if there was a way to force the app to refresh (and thus clear up such issues) without logging out.

Edited by JL_HSTRE

I'm guessing that some month the lab caches will show up in my found list of caches since each stage is counted as a cache which throws off my stats with ghost entities.  I don't like the fact that they disappear from the app after we've done them and that they never show up on the laptop map.  I like to plan ahead for caching in an area and want to be able to see all types of caches there.  Hopefully they will soon appear in our stats list too.

• Upvote 2
  • Funny 1