Garmin Oregon 700

ras_oscar

2 hours ago, ras_oscar said:

New issue: i open the geocaching activity page, select a cache and route to it. Caching dashboard shows reasonable bearing and distance. However, when I switch to the Compass screen the distance is completely different (as in 10.9 miles VS 183 ft ).

Upload photos of screen captures and I will explain what you are doing wrong.

On 1/25/2020 at 2:01 PM, ras_oscar said:

I have an external power bank I use on the road to top off my cell phone. Will it also recharge my nimh rechargeable batteries or just provide an alternate power source when plugged in? The manual says the Garmin battery pack will recharge. Its silent on other vendors' batteries. I plugged it in to try and it gave me no indication it was recharging.

Didn't spot an answer for you on this one, so...

The Garmin pack is physically designed to engage the switch in the battery compartment that assures the device that a Garmin rechargeable pack has been installed.  Unless that sensor is pressed, the Garmin won't (and shouldn't) try to charge whatever cells are installed.  If not its own pack, it has no idea whether the cells you installed are rechargeable and hence, whether it's even safe to try to recharge them.

That said, if you promise not to install anything but NiMH cells <g>, I'd note that you can get around this by assuring that whatever cells you install include something to keep that switch pressed down.  As I recall, it's not that difficult.

• Upvote 1
20 hours ago, ecanderson said:

Didn't spot an answer for you on this one, so...

The Garmin pack is physically designed to engage the switch in the battery compartment that assures the device that a Garmin rechargeable pack has been installed.  Unless that sensor is pressed, the Garmin won't (and shouldn't) try to charge whatever cells are installed.  If not its own pack, it has no idea whether the cells you installed are rechargeable and hence, whether it's even safe to try to recharge them.

That said, if you promise not to install anything but NiMH cells <g>, I'd note that you can get around this by assuring that whatever cells you install include something to keep that switch pressed down.  As I recall, it's not that difficult.

I did notice the Garmin battery pack is 2 A cells in a metal holder. I guess the purpose of the holder is to press the switch.

I have stopped carrying the external battery bank, since I have adequate recharged batteries in reserve. Thanks for the clarification. That makes sense.

Edited by ras_oscar
26 minutes ago, ras_oscar said:

I did notice the Garmin battery pack is 2 A cells in a metal holder. I guess the purpose of the holder is to press the switch.

I have stopped carrying the external battery bank, since I have adequate recharged batteries in reserve. Thanks for the clarification. That makes sense.

The holder is two separate pieces of plastic, if you take the Garmin battery pack apart it's easy to put the two pieces on other NiMH batteries and keep the button held down, or so I'm told.

On ‎3‎/‎2‎/‎2020 at 1:43 PM, HHL said:

And please: do screenshots - not photos of your Garmin.

[Setup > Display > Screenshots = On]

Went out twice to 2 separate location to take the screen shots. Turned on the GPS, let it lock on a location, entered the Geocaching activity, selected a cache from the text list and routed to it. Flipped to the compass view and both times the bearing and distance matched the caching dashboard. The only thing I can think of is previously the caching dashboard was defaulted to the closest cache but not passing the information to the compass view.

Edited by ras_oscar
25 minutes ago, ras_oscar said:

Went out twice to 2 separate location to take the screen shots. Turned on t4h GPS, let it lock on a location, entered the Geocaching activity, selectd a cache from the text list and routed to it. Flipped to the compass view and both times the bearing and distance matched the caching dashboard. The only thing I can think of is previously the caching dashboard was defaulted to the closest cache but not passing the information to the compass view.

If you're actively navigating to coordinates (waypoint or cache), the compass points to it.  However, the Geocaching Dashboard always points to a Geocache... such as the one you found if it's the closest one, where you're standing at the time.  Start Navigation to a Waypoint, now you will have a difference between compass and Geocaching Dashboard.  Because the compass points to the waypoint, and the Geocaching Dashboard will always point to a Geocache

35 minutes ago, HHL said:

Right. But ras_oscar may toggle the dashboard very quickly by tap and hold the dashboard, now select "compass" as the dashboard type.

Hans

I select "Small Fields" for Compass and Map, each with slightly different data in its four fields.  Because I use that data, I don't switch Dashboards.  I especially keep the waypoint name in view so I know exactly the name of the Geocache or Waypoint I'm navigating to, in case I made a mistake, and I also have a field that shows the coordinates of that cache or waypoint, to be extra sure.  I used to have a similar issue to ras_oscar, being directed to the wrong place, and I definitely don't need that. :cute:

I've switched to "Activity Mode" for now, but I used to place the "Geocaching Dashboard" in the Main Menu, so I could see where the closest Geocache is, and it's compact data, and even start navigating to it by tapping that Dashboard.  But once I was ready to find any other cache than "the closest", I was using the Map and Compass, so Small Fields seemed suitable.  I almost never need anything "pointing" in some any other direction while hiking to a waypoint.

But for placing a cache, at least to test distances to another Traditional cache, the Geocaching Dashboard might come in handy:  Navigate to your planned Cache location Waypoint, and also look at that "closest Geocache" information.  The waypoint Compass is pointing to your selected location, the Geocaching Dashboard is pointing to the nearest cache. 

Also, for simply walking cache-to-cache in town for easy Traditionals, you might get by with using only the Geocaching Dashboard and not clicking/navigating/switching anything.  That might be pretty cool, really sweet for handing your GPS to a newby while walking with them.

It's useful sometimes.  It's very confusing other times.  :)

Edited by kunarion
8 hours ago, 31BMSG said:

The holder is two separate pieces of plastic, if you take the Garmin battery pack apart it's easy to put the two pieces on other NiMH batteries and keep the button held down, or so I'm told.

The battery pack does come apart quite easily and each battery can be charged individually on a charger that has room to accomodate the extra plastic. However, you cannot replace the batteries that make up the Garmin pack as the plastic switch depressing pieces are firmly taped on. 

7 minutes ago, luvvinbird said:

The battery pack does come apart quite easily and each battery can be charged individually on a charger that has room to accomodate the extra plastic. However, you cannot replace the batteries that make up the Garmin pack as the plastic switch depressing pieces are firmly taped on. 

When I say take the battery pack apart this includes cutting the plastic that holds the batteries together. This gives you three pieces, two AA NiMH batteries and a plastic part. Put the plastic part between two NiMH of your liking, no need for tape, reinstall, and they will charge in the Garmin.

IMG_0287.JPG

22 hours ago, HHL said:

Right. But ras_oscar may toggle the dashboard very quickly by tap and hold the dashboard, now select "compass" as the dashboard type.

Hans

Its actually even easier. I have 3 dashboards set up within my geocaching activity. Geocaching, compass and satellite constellation. I can flip between them by swiping left or right.

I also have a separate activity called geocaching car which uses the car routing dashboard and defaults to on road routing.

As noted by others, the only "magic" to the Garmin pack is a physical presence to push the button that you can see in the battery cage. If a few minutes with a guitar pick or milk carton, styrofoam/wooden block, and electrical tape is too much (and that's OK) remember that Garmin didn't invent that scheme.

At the turn of the century, it was very common in Kodak's point-and-shoot models. Googling around, I think it went by the name KAA2HR and had been cloned by many. But the batteries used tend to be lower capacity than GPS power-users demand, plus the packs are hard to charge in the chargers we tend to demand.  Remember: no cheating to allow charging of non-rechargeable batteries. Batteries WILL leak, burn, or explode.

For most of us, an extra set of cells to get through the day and not messing with recharging while in the case was the best solution, with the DIY pack being a distant second. There are many options discovered and documented by those before.

Edited by robertlipe
Include warning about the dangers of recharging

1.  Is there a way to builds a multi cache route directly on the 700 ,or is my only option to build it in Basecamp and export it to the device?

2.  When I export a route from basecamp to the GPSr, am I exporting the route selections or only the stops? Stated another way: when I bring up a cache on the GPSr and hit "go" a route in calculated. If I diverge from that path the GPSr recalculates a new route. Would I still have that functionality if I download the route from Basecamp?

3.  When I download a route from basecamp, is all the waypoint data copied over as well? The cache info exists already on my GPSr. not sure if I will end up with duplicate points.

1. Yes. There is a route builder in the GPS that lets you add/create waypoints and arrange the order. You can even select the preferred routing method (I think). You're looking for the Route Planner "app."

2. Yes, you would still have recalculation when following a route if you diverge from the path. Recalculation only happens if you are routing along roads and trails. If you are "direct" routing, there's nothing to recalculate. As you hit each waypoint, the routing will switch to the next waypoint. Keep in mind that if you want to route to multiple waypoints in a multi-cache, you don't select the cache and hit go, you have to select the route and hit go. You'll be navigating the route, and so the normal geocache menu options won't be available.*

* unless Garmin has changed the way it handles multi-caches. 

3. If any of the waypoints already exist on your GPS, a duplicate will not be created. For waypoints that do not exist, they will only be copied over if you explicitly copy them over. Otherwise the intermediate points go with the route, but are not saved separately as waypoints.

It should be noted that you can create a route directly on the GPS from Basecamp by selecting your GPS or SD card and then creating the route.

Edited by Mineral2
1 hour ago, ras_oscar said:

1.  Is there a way to builds a multi cache route directly on the 700 ,or is my only option to build it in Basecamp and export it to the device?

2.  When I export a route from basecamp to the GPSr, am I exporting the route selections or only the stops? Stated another way: when I bring up a cache on the GPSr and hit "go" a route in calculated. If I diverge from that path the GPSr recalculates a new route. Would I still have that functionality if I download the route from Basecamp?

3.  When I download a route from basecamp, is all the waypoint data copied over as well? The cache info exists already on my GPSr. not sure if I will end up with duplicate points.

1. Yes. See GPSrChive > How To... > Routes for more information. Device specific (Oregon 7x0) information is available at GPSrChive > Oregon 7x0 > Applications > Route Planner.

2. Depends. If the route is calculated in BaseCamp using any method other than 'Direct', the exact route as shown in BaseCamp will be sent to your GPSr, and this route can not be recalculated or edited on the GPSr. Routes calculated in BaseCamp using the 'Direct' method before sending to GPSr can be recalculated and/or edited on the GPSr. See GPSrChive > BaseCamp > Routes for more detailed information.

3. Yes. No duplicate geocaches will be created.

Edited by Atlas Cached
4 minutes ago, Atlas Cached said:

2. Depends. If the route is calculated in BaseCamp using any method other than 'Direct', the exact route as shown in BaseCamp will be sent to your GPSr, and this route can not be recalculated or edited on the GPSr. Routes calculated in BaseCamp using the 'Direct' method before sending to GPSr can be recalculated and/or edited on the GPSr. See GPSrChive > BaseCamp > Routes for more detailed information.

Is this new/specifict to the Oregon 700? If I create a route that is set to navigate via driving on a routable map in base camp and send it to my Oregon 600, it opens with the profile's default routing option. So if I open it on my hiking profile, which does not have a routable map active and routing set to "direct," it will open with direct routing. Also, I can still open it in Route Planner and edit it.

This behavior is not specific to the Oregon 7x0. In fact, this has been the default Garmin GPSr behavior since the Montana 6x0 was released, and possibly longer.

One caveat for routes using any method other than 'Direct' calculation in BaseCamp is that both BaseCamp and the GPSr must have the exact same map installed for the non-direct routing to function properly, otherwise the GPSr will adopt Direct routing. This may be what you are experiencing.

It is my usual custom to route on road until I approach the cache and park, then switch to direct for the work at GZ. I change modes by switching from activity "Geocaching Car" to activity "Geocaching" At what point in that process would the GPSr determine I have arrived at the waypoint and switch to the next one? 

33 minutes ago, Atlas Cached said:

1. Yes. See GPSrChive > How To... > Routes for more information. Device specific (Oregon 7x0) information is available at GPSrChive > Oregon 7x0 > Applications > Route Planner.

3. Yes. No duplicate geocaches will be created.

I assure you i looked and looked and looked on gpsrchive before I posted my question. I really really did. :)

14 minutes ago, ras_oscar said:

It is my usual custom to route on road until I approach the cache and park, then switch to direct for the work at GZ. I change modes by switching from activity "Geocaching Car" to activity "Geocaching" At what point in that process would the GPSr determine I have arrived at the waypoint and switch to the next one?

It's based on distance, I think you can even customize the sensitivity (distance) that the GPS uses to determine whether you've arrived at a waypoint.
Keep in mind that with this kind of muti, you're probably stopping at different locations and gathering information used to calculate the final coordinates. So after visiting all of the locations, you'll then switch to navigating to the geocache (not via the route), enter in the coordinates, and then go make your find.

46 minutes ago, ras_oscar said:

It is my usual custom to route on road until I approach the cache and park, then switch to direct for the work at GZ. I change modes by switching from activity "Geocaching Car" to activity "Geocaching" 

OK, I follow thus far...

46 minutes ago, ras_oscar said:

At what point in that process would the GPSr determine I have arrived at the waypoint and switch to the next one? 

What waypoint? You were navigating to a geocache....

32 minutes ago, Atlas Cached said:

OK, I follow thus far...

What waypoint? You were navigating to a geocache....

Please replace waypoint in the post above with geocache. I believe the GPSr refers to geocaches and other POIs as waypoints when working with them as a part of a route.

1 hour ago, Mineral2 said:

It's based on distance, I think you can even customize the sensitivity (distance) that the GPS uses to determine whether you've arrived at a waypoint.
Keep in mind that with this kind of muti, you're probably stopping at different locations and gathering information used to calculate the final coordinates. So after visiting all of the locations, you'll then switch to navigating to the geocache (not via the route), enter in the coordinates, and then go make your find.

I'm not doing a multi. I'm creating a route from a list of caches I have chosen to hunt for on a particular day.

9 minutes ago, ras_oscar said:

I'm not doing a multi. I'm creating a route from a list of caches I have chosen to hunt for on a particular day.

Ok. That makes sense. Keep in mind that when doing this, you won't have the option to stop at each "waypoint" cache in the route and mark it as found in the GPS because you aren't technically routing to the cache. You are routing along the route which simply uses the cache as a shaping waypoint. This means you'll be constantly switching from routing along your route to routing to a specific cache to mark it or view hints, etc. 

Edited by Mineral2
4 hours ago, ras_oscar said:

Please replace waypoint in the post above with geocache. I believe the GPSr refers to geocaches and other POIs as waypoints when working with them as a part of a route.

Ahh, OK. To answer the original question, "At what point in that process would the GPSr determine I have arrived at the waypoint and switch to the next one?", you would have to first determine what option you have configured on your Oregon 7x0 in Setup > Routing > Route Transitions:

• Auto (Automatically routes user to the next in-sequence route point)
  • Manual (Allows user to select next point from the route)
  • Distance (Routes to the next closest route point when within user specified distance of current route point)

Update on multiple cache mapping using routing:  When navigating along a route, the only thing included in the route is the waypoint GC code and coordinates. In order to get the remaining cache information, I need to stop routing and instead select the cache directly. At this point i believe I'm going to install the route from basecamp into the GPSr but only use it as a guide, and select each cache on the route manually. The tracklog feature gives me a good visual indication of caches I've chosen to bypass( or that I haven't found) and I can look at the calculated route and decide if there are other caches along the way but not on the route that I want to also attempt

• Helpful 1
On 3/1/2020 at 11:01 AM, ras_oscar said:

New issue: i open the geocaching activity page, select a cache and route to it. Caching dashboard shows reasonable bearing and distance. However, when I switch to the Compass screen the distance is completely different (as in 10.9 miles VS 183 ft ).

Found the solution: each dashboard has its own map setup. The geocaching profile had all maps on whereas the car dashboard had only one mapset on. The trip crossed a boundary between the two maps.I had assumed that, like the Etrex Vista, map on and off was independent of the activity setting. 

The routing algorithm routed me to the edge of the map closest to the selected waypoint and then carried a straight line from there.

Edited by ras_oscar

Glad I found this forum. full of useful information.  I am about to purchase an Oregon 750t for a good price. I have been using a Delorme PN-60  here in North America for over 10 years and am ready to upgrade. The Oregon comes with toppo, but it sounds like that's not the best maps for geocaching. 

1. What are OSM maps? Do they have trails? How do you get them? I love the trails on my phone, but don't want to use up the battery and cell service. And it doesn't always work in the woods.

2. Are the City Navigator maps Garmin cells better than toppo?

3. Can you keep two sets of maps on the unit and switch back and forth?

4. Do you have to be able to get a good cell signal to use all of the features?

Thanks for any replies.

1. OSM stands for Open Street Maps. Generally, they do include trails, but keep in mind that OpenStreetMap is a user-generated project, so trails are only existent in places where people have added them to the map. These tend to be routable, though Garmin has disabled automotive routing on OSM maps on their newer GPS devices. I'm not sure if that's just for their TopoActive maps or all OSM based maps.
  2. It depends on the usage. City Navigator maps are designed for automotive navigation. They are routable (roads, not trails) and contain useful waypoints for business and places of interest. They do not contain topographic detail or trail data. The topo maps that Garmin sells are decent, but expensive in my opinion. You do get routable roads and trails, but are limited to a state or region for each purchase. There are free topo maps that you can download from gpsfiledepot.com which are plenty detailed and good. Some include trail data, some don't, but you can often find transparent trail overlays that will draw on top of the map. These free maps tend not to be routable, so you're just using them as a background to help you reference your position.
  3. Yes. You can keep many maps on the unit and switch back and forth. You can even enable two at once for the same area to have access to the data from both, but visually, one will draw on top of the other, so be mindful (City Navigator tends to draw on top of topo maps, so you lose that topo detail).
  4. You will need cell signal if you want to use the connected features such as GCLive while out in the field. If you are going out of cell service, you can pre-load your data ahead of time and the main functions of the GPS are all available offline.

About maps: 

When you buy a map from Garmin, you generally have two options: Buy the map pre-installed on an SD card, or download it. If you buy a map on an SD card, it is locked to that card. Simply install the card into your GPS device and if you buy a new one, you can transfer it over. Of course, that limits you to using that SD card as there is only one slot. 

Alternatively, you can download maps directly from garmin and then install them on your GPS (or a SD card installed on your GPS). Either way, that map becomes locked to that specific unit's serial number. Garmin is pretty good about letting you transfer maps you purchased to another device if you have to have it replaced under warranty. But otherwise, you need to purchase a new map with each GPS unit that you buy.

Free maps are unlocked and therefore can be installed on as many devices as you like. The Oregon 750t comes with a pre-installed 100k topo map of the entire US. It's not routable, but it's detailed enough for most use. You can always install the free topo maps if you need more contour detail.

Edited by Mineral2

Dear all,

I bought a SD - Topo card https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B07GYGY3SB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1 but it doesn't  show on the activities. When switching it on it recognises the map (ie not lamenting that the map is no garmin original - what it normally says when using other OSM). I only see the map file on the computer but when selecting any activity on the device the screen remains black. Only + - and the name/direction to the cache are visible. I did disable all cards but one. However it does not make a difference. 

Has anyone got a clue what went wrong here?

Second issue I am having is that after playing around with the setup of the right hand side buttons (on/off) the on button works but i cannot set it back to switch off when pressing it again. Does anyone know how to fix this?

I am cycling to work with this device and this is fairly annoying if I want to record my trip back home the batteries are empty because this device does not switch off. taking off the batteries cannot be a permanent solution, can it?

Thank you! 

On 5/23/2021 at 8:19 PM, Mineral2 said:
  1. OSM stands for Open Street Maps. Generally, they do include trails, but keep in mind that OpenStreetMap is a user-generated project, so trails are only existent in places where people have added them to the map. These tend to be routable, though Garmin has disabled automotive routing on OSM maps on their newer GPS devices. I'm not sure if that's just for their TopoActive maps or all OSM based maps.
  2. It depends on the usage. City Navigator maps are designed for automotive navigation. They are routable (roads, not trails) and contain useful waypoints for business and places of interest. They do not contain topographic detail or trail data. The topo maps that Garmin sells are decent, but expensive in my opinion. You do get routable roads and trails, but are limited to a state or region for each purchase. There are free topo maps that you can download from gpsfiledepot.com which are plenty detailed and good. Some include trail data, some don't, but you can often find transparent trail overlays that will draw on top of the map. These free maps tend not to be routable, so you're just using them as a background to help you reference your position.
  3. Yes. You can keep many maps on the unit and switch back and forth. You can even enable two at once for the same area to have access to the data from both, but visually, one will draw on top of the other, so be mindful (City Navigator tends to draw on top of topo maps, so you lose that topo detail).
  4. You will need cell signal if you want to use the connected features such as GCLive while out in the field. If you are going out of cell service, you can pre-load your data ahead of time and the main functions of the GPS are all available offline.

About maps: 

When you buy a map from Garmin, you generally have two options: Buy the map pre-installed on an SD card, or download it. If you buy a map on an SD card, it is locked to that card. Simply install the card into your GPS device and if you buy a new one, you can transfer it over. Of course, that limits you to using that SD card as there is only one slot. 

Alternatively, you can download maps directly from garmin and then install them on your GPS (or a SD card installed on your GPS). Either way, that map becomes locked to that specific unit's serial number. Garmin is pretty good about letting you transfer maps you purchased to another device if you have to have it replaced under warranty. But otherwise, you need to purchase a new map with each GPS unit that you buy.

Free maps are unlocked and therefore can be installed on as many devices as you like. The Oregon 750t comes with a pre-installed 100k topo map of the entire US. It's not routable, but it's detailed enough for most use. You can always install the free topo maps if you need more contour detail.

Thank you.  I think I need an OSM map, and have been to the website but can't figure out how to get the map on my gps.  The export will only allow you to export a very small map. It refers you to other sites, and I can't figure out how to get the map on my gps from there.  There is also a great map at Thunderforest, but I can't figure out how to get that one on my Oregon 750t gps either.  Anybody have specific step by step directions? The topo map it came with doesn't have trails, even to state parks.  I can't go geocaching without trails on the map!!! I'm fine with the tographical info.

2 hours ago, kathycar said:

I think I need an OSM map, and have been to the website but can't figure out how to get the map on my gps.  It refers you to other sites, and I can't figure out how to get the map on my gps from there.  There is also a great map at Thunderforest, but I can't figure out how to get that one on my Oregon 750t gps either.  Anybody have specific step by step directions?

Yes:

On 5/24/2021 at 6:18 AM, Atlas Cached said:

Tons of great info covering all your questions and much more for the Oregon 7x0 at GPSrChive.

Hint: Read the 'MAPS' section....

10 hours ago, kathycar said:

I can't go geocaching without trails on the map!!!

I'll have you know that a lot of people geocached just fine without a basemap during the early days of geocaching. Having trails is a luxury. Having details such as roads, water features, and even elevation contours certainly makes caching easier (IE, you can know if you're on the right side of the river), but not essential. So if you find that trails aren't available at your state parks, it's not the end of the world.

The custom map ability at http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/ has been down for a while and who knows when the server problems will be fixed.

Until then, there are several other options for OSM maps in various flavors including:

garmin.opentopomap.org

extract.bbbike.org

Edit:

Ok, I just installed a map and contours from https://garmin.opentopomap.org. I think this might be a new addition to the site. This combination is everything I've dreamed of from OSM and OTM. I think I've found my new default.

Edited by Mineral2

Three questions:

1. Is there a way to view the gallery images for a geocache on the Oregon 750?

2. How about attributes?

3. When I view the logs for a cache on the Oregon 750, it is only showing the most recent 5.  Cn I get it to show me more?

Thanks

On 5/24/2021 at 10:31 AM, cookieeemonster said:

Dear all,

I bought a SD - Topo card https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B07GYGY3SB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1 but it doesn't  show on the activities. When switching it on it recognises the map (ie not lamenting that the map is no garmin original - what it normally says when using other OSM). I only see the map file on the computer but when selecting any activity on the device the screen remains black. Only + - and the name/direction to the cache are visible. I did disable all cards but one. However it does not make a difference. 

Has anyone got a clue what went wrong here?

Second issue I am having is that after playing around with the setup of the right hand side buttons (on/off) the on button works but i cannot set it back to switch off when pressing it again. Does anyone know how to fix this?

I am cycling to work with this device and this is fairly annoying if I want to record my trip back home the batteries are empty because this device does not switch off. taking off the batteries cannot be a permanent solution, can it?

Thank you! 

UPDATE: Sent the device to Garmin and received an exchange device as this was a software error. Hope that helps other users.

On 3/20/2020 at 2:28 PM, Mineral2 said:

Ok. That makes sense. Keep in mind that when doing this, you won't have the option to stop at each "waypoint" cache in the route and mark it as found in the GPS because you aren't technically routing to the cache. You are routing along the route which simply uses the cache as a shaping waypoint. This means you'll be constantly switching from routing along your route to routing to a specific cache to mark it or view hints, etc. 

If you are trying to plan a route to follow while finding a bunch of caches, try the geoprinter extension for Chrome. You add caches to a list in the order you want to find them, and can print the list and a map with the numbers in order.

• Helpful 1

I have been geocaching for a month with my 750t. There are some things I have figured out and like.

I love not having to attach my gpsr to a computer to load caches or to upload logs!

I love the little sidebar that shows distance, compass, size and D/T ratings.

I love the page where you access logs, coordinates, hint, etc.

I have finally figured out how to add a waypoint in a multi.

There are a few things I wish it could do, but I can't figure out if it will. 

1. View attributes for the cache I am looking for

2. Add a favorite point to a cache I am logging

3. Attach a picture to my log

4. View a picture from a cache page- from what I can tell, there is a way but either you have to use some other site that isn't geocaching.com, or manually download them ahead of time.

5.It seems like every time I figure something out, it doesn't work the same way when I go to try it again. I am trying to keep a log of what I do.

The camera is terrible. Also, I reconfigured the power and the other button, and can't find a way to take a screen capture.

If anyone has figured out how to do these things, I would love to hear from you!

Edited by kathycar

It appears you can only access pictures from a cache if you are not using the official geocaching.com site, but the other site, which is free, but not what I want to use as it is limited.  I have really enjoyed the GPSrChive site. Tons of information. But no answers to my questions about adding favorite points, viewing attributes, or attach a picture to my log. I will keep looking!

3 hours ago, kathycar said:

But no answers to my questions about (1) adding favorite points, (2) viewing attributes, or (3) attach a picture to my log. I will keep looking!

1. Not possible with any Garmin GPSr. However, if you use GSAK to log caches after the fact you can configure the interface to automatically award a favorite point when a specific text is found in the log. I have mine configured to do so when it finds "FAV" in my logs.

2. Also not currently supported by any Garmin GPSr. Most of the  GPSrChive 'Common Issues' pages will have this listed as a Feature Request, one which Garmin have yet to implement.

3. Again, not directly. If your GPSr has a camera, you can take the photos, then upload them to your log manually. I just use my Phone camera (better photos), and insert them into my logs using GSAK.