Garmin Oregon 700

ras_oscar

Unit arrived yesterday. Loaded up a list, loaded up OSM maps, and synced it to my Groundspeak account.  Today I went to find a few hides. Some successes, some failures and some frustrations. The purpose of this thread is to allow users of this GPS to discuss issues and work-arounds.

1. Searching for caches by GC code in the field did not yield any results. When I got back home I tried again and was able to search GC code successfully. Lesson learned. Need to go to Geocaching( activity page)->Magnifying glass->Geocaches->grid ( lower right corner icon) and enter the GC code. I was not going all the way back to the geocaching home screen and floundering around.

2.  At one point all the cache symbols disappeared from the map view. Tried turning the unit off and on with no change. Resulted in abandoning the intended hit list for the day. Came back home, put in a set of fresh batteries, the symbols returned. Not sure if the 2 actions are related or coincidence.

3. Found the option to route by automobile. Set the system to prompt when each geocache is selected. Still looking for an easy way to switch between modes without ending navigation and starting again. Hoping vehicle nav option will allow me to leave the android at home. 

4.  Looking for a way to get Garmin to stop recording tracklogs every time i set routing to a waypoint. I have successfully used that feature on my Etrex vista to update OSM trails. Should't be on by default, IMHO. If i try turning it off it keeps bugging me to turn it back on. The only controls I have found are Geocaching page ->menu ( three horizontal bars, lower right corner)Recording. That page allows me to alter the recording method (Distance, Time, Auto) Interval, turn auto pause and autostart on or off ( autostart off just keeps bugging you until you turn it on manually) select the file format and autoarchive options. No option to manually turn tracklogs on and off. I see no reason to fill up the unit's memory with tracklogs I have no need for.

5.  Find logs entered into the unit in the field successfully synced with the Groundspeak website with no additional actions by me. I will continue to keep paper backup notes until I'm more comfortable that its seamless. Both  found and  DNF logs were transferred . Fingers crossed. Too bad there is no qwerty keyboard or voice input. 

6. On the cache search page I see no options to sort the order of the caches displayed.  (Geocaching-> spyglass->Geocaches) I'd like to see nearest first. I usually use my android phone to navigate to the nearest parking opportunity, then switch to the Garmin for the last couple miles hike. For the most part the cache would then sort near the top of the list, not somewhere in the middle of the 250 some odd caches loaded to the unit. 

7.  On the cache map window ( Geocaching.->[tap screen] there is a black bar at the top with  a cache designation, a distance in miles and a direction arrow. The cache happens to be the last one I found. The bearing and distance do NOT  relate to the bearing and distance from my present location to that cache. Any idea what it is? Early on I was using that as the go to pointer, which confused me when it told me the "cache" was 8 MILES away. ( It was actually less than 250 feet from the car park).  I have since found the blue pointer window, same as the Etrex.

24 minutes ago, ras_oscar said:

3. Found the option to route by automobile. Set the system to prompt when each geocache is selected. Still looking for an easy way to switch between modes without ending navigation and starting again.

I make a new profile based on my saved "Geocaching.gpf" Profile, and I name the copy "CachingCar.gpf".  Then I change a few settings specifically for driving, such as some of the dashboard items.  Switch between Geocaching and CachingCar by returning to the main menu and selecting the other profile.  You don't need to stop Navigation.

Profile files are in the Garmin/Profiles folder of the Oregon, and have the extension "gpf".  Backup the folders and files of entire unit before changing any files.  It's handy to backup the Profiles anyway, in case you need to restore one to a previous the point.

The 700 allows hiding of unused Profiles.  I currently only have "Geocaching" and "CachingCar" in view for ease of switching between them.  I've also had the additional Profile "Hiking" un-hidden, with more generic settings for when I'm not Geocaching.

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1
3 hours ago, ras_oscar said:

1. Searching for caches by GC code in the field did not yield any results. When I got back home I tried again and was able to search GC code successfully. Lesson learned. Need to go to Geocaching( activity page)->Magnifying glass->Geocaches->grid ( lower right corner icon) and enter the GC code. I was not going all the way back to the geocaching home screen and floundering around.

How were you originally searching by GC code? See GPSrChive > Oregon 7x0 > Applications > Geocaching > Geocache List > GC Live Download

2.  At one point all the cache symbols disappeared from the map view. Tried turning the unit off and on with no change. Resulted in abandoning the intended hit list for the day. Came back home, put in a set of fresh batteries, the symbols returned. Not sure if the 2 actions are related or coincidence.

Very likely you zoomed the map beyond the level set to display geocaches. See GPSrChive > Oregon 7x0 > Setup > Map > Advanced Setup > Zoom Levels > Geocaches

3. Found the option to route by automobile. Set the system to prompt when each geocache is selected. Still looking for an easy way to switch between modes without ending navigation and starting again. Hoping vehicle nav option will allow me to leave the android at home. 

Create two Geocaching profiles. One for travel by vehicle, the other configured with Direct Routing. Once the destination is selected, switching between profiles will not change the destination, only the routing method (and any other changes you make between the two profiles). See GPSrChive > Oregon 7x0 > Setup > Activities and GPSrChive > How To... > Profiles > Common Profile Settings

4.  Looking for a way to get Garmin to stop recording tracklogs every time i set routing to a waypoint. I have successfully used that feature on my Etrex vista to update OSM trails. Should't be on by default, IMHO. If i try turning it off it keeps bugging me to turn it back on. The only controls I have found are Geocaching page ->menu ( three horizontal bars, lower right corner)Recording. That page allows me to alter the recording method (Distance, Time, Auto) Interval, turn auto pause and autostart on or off ( autostart off just keeps bugging you until you turn it on manually) select the file format and autoarchive options. No option to manually turn tracklogs on and off. I see no reason to fill up the unit's memory with tracklogs I have no need for.

Sounds like you found out that turning the tracklog recording off results in an annoying nagging reminder... Just leave it on to avoid the nag message and never save them, remembering to clear the current activity at the beginning of each new event. 

5.  Find logs entered into the unit in the field successfully synced with the Groundspeak website with no additional actions by me. I will continue to keep paper backup notes until I'm more comfortable that its seamless. Both  found and  DNF logs were transferred . Fingers crossed. Too bad there is no qwerty keyboard or voice input. 

There is a QWERTY keyboard in landscape mode! See GPSrChive > Oregon 7x0 > Operation > Keyboard > Landscape

6. On the cache search page I see no options to sort the order of the caches displayed.  (Geocaching-> spyglass->Geocaches) I'd like to see nearest first. I usually use my android phone to navigate to the nearest parking opportunity, then switch to the Garmin for the last couple miles hike. For the most part the cache would then sort near the top of the list, not somewhere in the middle of the 250 some odd caches loaded to the unit. 

The Geocache List always sorts nearest at the top by default. You can also sort/search alphabetically or choose another location to search near.

7.  On the cache map window ( Geocaching.->[tap screen] there is a black bar at the top with  a cache designation, a distance in miles and a direction arrow. The cache happens to be the last one I found. The bearing and distance do NOT  relate to the bearing and distance from my present location to that cache. Any idea what it is? Early on I was using that as the go to pointer, which confused me when it told me the "cache" was 8 MILES away. ( It was actually less than 250 feet from the car park).  I have since found the blue pointer window, same as the Etrex.

Are you referring to the info bar that is displayed after selecting a geocache on the map page? Or are you referring to the Geocache Dashboard? A screen capture here may help a lot!

• Upvote 1
20 minutes ago, Atlas Cached said:

How so?

I move my most used to the top of the list, but have never seen a 'Hide Profile' option....

OK, good point.  It's "Activities" that you can show or hide.  Maybe not "Profiles". Carry on.

Edited by kunarion
50 minutes ago, Atlas Cached said:

I am still not familiar with this option, can you tell me where it is and how to use it?

Thank You!

This is on an Oregon 750t, Software Version 4.70.

-Select an Activity, such as “Geocaching”:

https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp/oregon7xx/EN-US/GUID-F0A5FE24-F896-476B-9510-3AEEE94A921D.html

• Tap the menu hamburger icon in the lower left corner.

• Scroll down to “Activities”, and tap “Activities”. You should see a list of available Activities with the text “Create Activity” at the top. That's probably where I created “CachingCar”, as an Activity.

• Tap any Activity to see a menu for it. If it's not the currently active Activity, you can select things like move it up or down, or delete it. And if it's "shown", you can select “Hide”. If it's previously hidden, you can select “Show”.

I have all of mine hidden currently, except for Geocaching ("crow-flies" navigation) and CachingCar (street routing), so that if I scroll through them, I never have to scroll through a bunch of other Activities.  Because I hate that. :cute:

I chose "Activity Mode" because it was slightly fewer clicks than "Classic Mode" (which is, I think, the mode that uses Profiles instead), when I wanted to switch between "walking and driving".  If I get a wild hair to streamline this thing, I might again try Profiles if they're faster.  On my Oregon 650, I tapped "Change Profile", done.  That was fast.  On the 700, I think I have to set up a shortcut button.  Maybe.  But for now, "Activities" are working OK for me.  Until then, the OP has some options. :)

Edited by kunarion
  • Upvote 1

Thank You, kunarion! Somehow I have always overlooked that option! Every Garmin GPSr with individual Profile or Activity options has always shown all available in the menu and I never realized they added the ability to hide/show them with the Oregon 7x0! 

BTW, you do not have to create a 'Change Activity' shortcut in Classic Mode, there is already an option for that. You only have to add it to the desired menu page and then it is two clicks to any other activity (one to open the Activity list, the next to select the desired activity!

Edit: This option is only used when Activity Mode is enabled, which I do not use, thus probably why I never noticed it...

Edited by Atlas Cached
3 hours ago, Atlas Cached said:

Thank You, kunarion! Somehow I have always overlooked that option! Every Garmin GPSr with individual Profile or Activity options has always shown all available in the menu and I never realized they added the ability to hide/show them with the Oregon 7x0! 

BTW, you do not have to create a 'Change Activity' shortcut in Classic Mode, there is already an option for that. You only have to add it to the desired menu page and then it is two clicks to any other activity (one to open the Activity list, the next to select the desired activity!

Edit: This option is only used when Activity Mode is enabled, which I do not use, thus probably why I never noticed it...

Cool!  I switched back to "Classic Mode" and now use the "Activity Change" item as I did with "Profile Change" in older devices, and I've set "Activity Change" onto the main screen of each activity.  This means one less tap (or so) to switch between Activities for "walking" and "street routing", plus more useful stuff on screen all the time.  In Activity Mode, a useless giant icon fills the screen.  That's cool and all, but the old-fashioned way is OK with me.

But if you're in Classic Mode and you select "hide" for your unused Activities, do they go away?  Mine remain in the "Activities" list after I return to the menu.  No big deal, but I expected them to go away.

Edited by kunarion

Hey, may I join in the discussion?

Currently I am thinking about buying a new device and the Oregon 700 is on my favorite-list. There are so many versions ( at least in Germany), which one do I really need for caching? Are the OS maps good enough for caching or would you recommend to buy the topographic cards as well?

OSM are more than adequate! I use them almost exclusively on my Oregon 7x0 units.

Which versions of the 7x0 are available in Germany? Here in the US, we have the 700, 750, and 750t. I have been known to get the 't' models just for the additional memory, and remove the Garmin Topo map from the device to add my own!

Edited by Atlas Cached
  • Helpful 1

In Germany, Garmin offers the 700 and the 750t on their HP, Amazon also offers the 750 non t as well. The 700 costs 260 EUR, the 750 400 EUR, and the 750t 430 EUR. If I had to choose between those three, I would buy the 700 as I don't need the camera and the Topo the 750t has, at least not for 170 EUR. You can add memory to the 700 by using an SD-card, so (for me) no need to spend an extra 170 EUR.

• Helpful 1
9 hours ago, Random Value said:

Hey, may I join in the discussion?

Currently I am thinking about buying a new device and the Oregon 700 is on my favorite-list. There are so many versions ( at least in Germany), which one do I really need for caching? Are the OS maps good enough for caching or would you recommend to buy the topographic cards as well?

Here is a site that hosts tiles of the world. Its what I used when I rolled my own maps. Its not hard but it takes a couple tools to process ( which are free to download) http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/

there's also a site that hosts blocks of maps compiled and ready to download. Its what I use now, but I didn't see an option for Europe..

http://www.gmaptool.eu/en/content/maps-garmin-fenix

• Helpful 1

hid all the activities except geocaching. Created a copy and renamed it geocaching Car. Now I can switch between the two modes seamlessly. :)  

I have my geocaching dashboard set to Geocaching, with caches listed by GC number. However, the dashboard always shows direction and distance to the nearest cache.Any way to only have that information displayed when navigation is enabled? The present view makes it hard for me to remember if I disabled navigation. (OP question 7 clarification)

Edited by ras_oscar
31 minutes ago, ras_oscar said:

However, the dashboard always shows direction and distance to the nearest cache. Any way to only have that information displayed when navigation is enabled?

Yes. 

Configure a custom dashboard that displays the Geocaching dashboard when navigating, and any other when not navigating, or however you prefer.

See GPSrChive > Oregon 7x0 > Setup > Map > Dashboard > Custom

I got the tracklog feature to stop bugging me to turn it on. It now sits quietly on the menu waiting for me. I believe it "learned" that was my preference, since I adjusted no settings.  However, it now shows a blue line from whatever point I used it last to my current location. Short of changing the color to clear, is there any way I can eliminate that line? When I am navigating directly to a cache I presently have 2 lines.

I also received an error on routing today. The unit refused to route on roads from my current location to the next cache. Message was " Routing Error"I pulled out my Android phone with c:geo and it fired up google maps and routed to the same point just fine. I was using open street maps if it matters. 

Today, for no apparent reason, the unit display suddenly went dim just after i used it to "make a call" while muggles were driving by. I cannot find any settings to turn the display up. Tried turning power saver mode off, turned from automatic to day display. rebooted and changed the batteries Anything else I can try? The unit is presently so dim I can't see it without a flashlight.  Update found the brightness control i the top tool tray.

Edited by ras_oscar
2 hours ago, ras_oscar said:

However, it now shows a blue line from whatever point I used it last to my current location. Short of changing the color to clear, is there any way I can eliminate that line? When I am navigating directly to a cache I presently have 2 lines.

You need to clear the active track.

On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2020 at 3:56 PM, Mineral2 said:

You need to clear the active track.

I looked through GPSrChive and found several screens related to tracklogs, although nothing specifically about how to clear the active track. I turned on he GPS and set a routing waypoint to star messig with it. The duplicate track line is now gone. I have no idea why.

I like to keep as much information as possible on the data card as opposed to the GPS unit memory. Yesterday I was messing around with cleaning out old waypoints and transferred a fresh list using Groundspeak list's  "Transfer to Garmin" option.  I noticed he list was transferred as a gpx file to a certain directory beneath the "Garmin" directory on the GPSr.

1.  Does the auto transfer process perform any additional processing to the GPX file or is it merely copying the data file from Groundspeak to the proper location on the GPS

2, If I mirror the same directory structure on the data card, will the GPS see and use the geocache data on the GPSr?

Edited by ras_oscar
55 minutes ago, ras_oscar said:

I like to keep as much information as possible on the data card as opposed to the GPS unit memory. Yesterday I was messing around with cleaning out old waypoints and transferred a fresh list using Groundspeak list's  "Transfer to Garmin" option.  I noticed he list was transferred as a gpx file to a certain directory beneath the "Garmin" directory on the GPSr.

1.  Does the auto transfer process perform any additional processing to the GPX file or is it merely copying the data file from Groundspeak to the proper location on the GPS

2, If I mirror the same directory structure on the data card, will the GPS see and use the geocache data on the GPSr?

1. simple transfer

2. Yes (mostly) GPSrChive > Oregon 7x0 > Operation > Files & Folders 

9 minutes ago, ras_oscar said:

I have a list loaded of the 300 caches closest to my home coordinates. If I create another list and some of the caches overlap, then  copy the gpx file to the data card, will the GPS resolve the duplicates or will it show duplicate caches twice?

It tends to show the most recent data for any given cache.  It's better for a lot of reasons to load files without duplicate caches, but it generally still works OK.

Edited by kunarion

I am having challenges in reliably opening the application drawer. I presently have set up 2 activities and hidden all the rest. The activities are Geocaching and geocaching car. In geocaching Car I can open the app drawer by short pressing the power button. However, in geocaching activity the short press tuns the screen off and on.

I setr up geocaching car by copying ALL the settings fron  geocaching, changing the the routing method from direct to road, and changing the dashboard from geochache to automotive. Where do I go to customize the user power button?

9 hours ago, ras_oscar said:

I am having challenges in reliably opening the application drawer. I presently have set up 2 activities and hidden all the rest. The activities are Geocaching and geocaching car. In geocaching Car I can open the app drawer by short pressing the power button. However, in geocaching activity the short press tuns the screen off and on.

I setr up geocaching car by copying ALL the settings fron  geocaching, changing the the routing method from direct to road, and changing the dashboard from geochache to automotive. Where do I go to customize the user power button?

How many applications are you using?  If there are two or three that you use all the time, place them into the main screen instead.  There are pages to that screen, and less used applications can go to page two or three.  Once you've used it for a while and get an idea of your most often used applications, place those in view and you'll much less frequently open the application drawer.  At least not often enough to need use up a hot key for it.

Edited by kunarion
7 hours ago, ras_oscar said:

GPSrChive > Oregon 7x0 > Setup > System > Configure Keys

I have an external power bank I use on the road to top off my cell phone. Will it also recharge my nimh rechargeable batteries or just provide an alternate power source when plugged in? The manual says the Garmin battery pack will recharge. Its silent on other vendors' batteries. I plugged it in to try and it gave me no indication it was recharging.

Looking through the Garmin directory of the unit I came across two files that appear to contain the text of my recent cache finds. One, a text file geocache_visits.txt and a file geocache_logs.xml.

1.  What is the difference in how the GPSr uses these files?

2. Are there any implications in deleting these files each time I upload a new GPX list?

FYI some of the map areas are getting a bit dense and Id prefer to keep the upcoming finds visible without filtering.

3.  Some of the  finds I made in 2010 are showing up on the map map as finds ( I moved the data card over from my old GPS) Where is data coming from? They are not on the aforementioned files, and not on the GPX since I filter out my finds ( I checked the file directly using GSAK, they aren't there).

Looking through the Garmin directory of the unit I came across two files that appear to contain the text of my recent cache finds. One, a text file geocache_visits.txt and a file geocache_logs.xml.

1.  What is the difference in how the GPSr uses these files?

2. Are there any implications in deleting these files each time I upload a new GPX list?

FYI some of the map areas are getting a bit dense and Id prefer to keep the upcoming finds visible without filtering.

3.  Some of the  finds I made in 2010 are showing up on the map map as finds ( I moved the data card over from my old GPS) Where is data coming from? They are not on the aforementioned files, and not on the GPX since I filter out my finds ( I checked the file directly using GSAK, they aren't there).

I'm no expert on Garmin software (probably someone who is will be along with a better explanation than mine soon) but in practical terms I know that geocache-visits.txt is where I get  the information to feed into GSAK when I want to publish logs using  that tool. Afterwards I always clear the content of geocache-visits.txt and save it as an empty file again, ready for my next caching trip, so emptying that file of all it's  content will do no harm, I'd be wary of deleting the file itself though.

The xml file you mention I think is the one I emptied out on my first etrex before selling it on, as it would otherwise have shown the new owner an incorrect find total.

My limited understanding is that those two files exist as a record of your actions visiting caches,, but the actual caches which show up on the device's map are the product of GPX files, so somewhere there is a GPX file you no longer want lurking around. Maybe on the SD card ?

1 minute ago, hal-an-tow said:

I always clear the content of geocache-visits.txt and save it as an empty file again, ready for my next caching trip, so emptying that file of all it's  content will do no harm, I'd be wary of deleting the file itself though.

I click & drag the geocache_visits.txt file right out of the GPS, without issue.  This deletes the file from the device, it later becomes restored automatically, and I can work with the file without needing to have the GPS connected and then delete it from my PC when everything looks right on the Site.  Just one way to do it.

I haven't messed with the XML file.

Soooo, I checked on the SD card. The garmin directory has the following:

Map files I installed

GPX which contains the GPX file of caches I loaded.

A POI directory that is empty

A SQL directory that contains a single file CustomMaps.db

GSAK declined to open the .db file. Is there any way to check the contents of this file, and can i safely delete it?

Edited by ras_oscar

Is the DB file likely to contain found cache logs?

No. That's in the Geocache_visits.txt file. You'll notice that a record of your finds can be seen in the GPS's calendar "app." If you delete, or clear, the geocache_visits.txt file, the geocaching activity in the calendar disappear as well. Though.... that information is also written to the geocache_finds.xml file, and it's not clear to me which one the GPS reads. But the .txt file is the field notes that you would import to geocaching.com. Typically when I have to delete one, I delete the other at the same time so that I'm starting with fresh files all around.

On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2020 at 5:28 PM, HHL said:

None of them. The GSPR creates its own (non visible) Index file where the found status of caches is flagged. The two mentioned files are just for populating the unit's calendar (as you noted), for uploading field notes to Groundspeak's website (as you noted as well) and for the use with third party apps like GSAK to update their databases accordingly.

Hans

sooo... the only way to remove the found caches from the visible map is to filter them out.  I assume Garmin made certain files non visible for a reason and I have no intention of messing with that decision at this point in my rather rudimentary understanding of how things work.

20 minutes ago, ras_oscar said:

New issue: i open the geocaching activity page, select a cache and route to it. Caching dashboard shows reasonable bearing and distance. However, when I switch to the Compass screen the distance is completely different (as in 10.9 miles VS 183 ft ).

The Geocaching Dashboard always shows the distance a Geocache (either the closest one, or the one you're navigating to at that moment).  The compass and other screens and dashboards show the waypoint or cache you are in fact navigating to (or nothing if none are selected).  So the displays can be pointing in different directions.  If you use the "Geocaching Dashboard" as your main navigational tool, be sure you fully understand it. 

Edited by kunarion