Release Notes (Privacy law compliance) - December 31, 2019

7 hours ago, Zop said:

I do not see any options to delete conversations in the Message Center nor disable it in my profile.

I don't like using the MC and want to encourage people to send correspondence via e-mail.

I am using MC by e-mail. All conversations are recorded in my own computer and there is no way to delete them by other parties. I appreciate your wish to use e-mail only but I don't understand why you are not using e-mail for the MC.

Anyway, in some circumstances, I would be practical to delete some messages from the MC for privacy or other personal reasons.

Edited by arisoft
10 hours ago, Zop said:

Speaking of privacy,

I do not see any options to delete conversations in the Message Center nor disable it in my profile.

I don't like using the MC and want to encourage people to send correspondence via e-mail.

When do you think we'll see this functionality?

If not an option, who do we contact who has the ability to DELETE all of the messages in the message center (NOT HIDE them) ?

I understand the wish to tidy up the MC, but are you suggesting that if I send you a message via the MC, you should be able to delete it so that neither of us can see it?  For privacy reasons?

No thanks.

3 minutes ago, IceColdUK said:

I understand the wish to tidy up the MC, but are you suggesting that if I send you a message via the MC, you should be able to delete it so that neither of us can see it?  For privacy reasons?

No thanks.

You should be able to delete your own messages, not someone else's.

BTW, Google is transferring UK users' data to the US servers (instead of Ireland). No more GDPR for you guys it seems. Makes me wonder if the UK didn't make EU GDPR legislation UK law.

15 minutes ago, on4bam said:

You should be able to delete your own messages, not someone else's.

No problem with that, but @Zop was “speaking of privacy”.

15 minutes ago, on4bam said:

BTW, Google is transferring UK users' data to the US servers (instead of Ireland). No more GDPR for you guys it seems. Makes me wonder if the UK didn't make EU GDPR legislation UK law.

I’m no expert here (nor a fan of Brexit) but I thought we had, in the UK Data Protection Act (2018).

6 hours ago, on4bam said:

only one's own posts should be deleted (and quotes). The same could be done for message center posts.

I had considered that but with text/msg content being extremely personalized and related to any one particular user who sent it, censoring the username alone could likely be argued as insufficient 'protection' for privacy. Under GDPR, an account deletion I think would require username censor, and either removal of that user's own comments or the conversation as a whole. But as much as possible, I would be against deleting the entire conversation, because now another user's personalized content is also being killed off. (And I'm generally also against deleting entire threads on a whim - that was previously discussed)

6 hours ago, on4bam said:

There's no reason to delete a complete account just to get rid of MC content.

When you say it like yeah, it sounds dumb. But again I wouldn't mind the ability to delete your own comments, if desired, but not entire conversations.

On 2/24/2020 at 12:14 AM, arisoft said:

I am using MC by e-mail. All conversations are recorded in my own computer and there is no way to delete them by other parties. I appreciate your wish to use e-mail only but I don't understand why you are not using e-mail for the MC.

Anyway, in some circumstances, I would be practical to delete some messages from the MC for privacy or other personal reasons.

Simple, because it's not e-mail, it's a message center where messages are stored and we have no control over them.

My profile page clearly states to not send me messages via the MC but it still happens.

I want that data removed and I don't want Groundspeak to be retaining that data..

• Upvote 2
On 2/24/2020 at 3:27 AM, IceColdUK said:

No thanks.

In some sense, yes. I do not wish to use the MC at all. I want to be able to delete everything I have posted there, and prevent others from sending me notes there. Ground speak does not need to have access to my communications that I do not send to them via e-mail.

• Helpful 1
26 minutes ago, Zop said:

In some sense, yes. I do not wish to use the MC at all. I want to be able to delete everything I have posted there, and prevent others from sending me notes there. Ground speak does not need to have access to my communications that I do not send to them via e-mail.

GDPR (if you're a EU citizen) allows you to ask that the data be removed. BTW, you have the right to request GS to send you all data they have on you, they then have a certain time to do so. Contact their Data manager (they are required to have one).

Sidenote: I have done this for my Yahoo account (created before the year 2000) and after 2 weeks I could download a file containing everything they had on me (mailinglists, e-mails.... ). Companies can't afford not to comply ;)

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1