Adding Coordinates. Has Something Changed

colleda

12 minutes ago, colleda said:

Today I found a new cache that I DNF'd 2 days ago. The coordinates, by my Etrex 20x, were about 80m (262') off. I could not see any way to add coordinates to a NM, WN and FI log as I have been able to do in the past. Has this changed? Or is there a bug? Or is it me?

Yes, this has changed. :(

On 12/31/2019 at 2:02 PM, niraD said:

Yes, this has changed. :(

That's not actually answering the question asked.

The Update Coordinates Log type was for COs to update the coordinates of their cache and yes this has been removed, and coordinate updates by a CO are done by editing the cache page.

The OP asked if the coordinates you could add to a [finder's] log have been removed.

As I understand yes they have but I can't remember when or why...

I went and looked at this and I couldn't change the coordinates of a puzzle cache. How will I update this now? I can't put the coordinates in a log as everyone will see the corrected puzzle  coordinates. Those I have already changed the coordinates on appear to show the corrected coordinates still, but I can't add the corrected coordinates to other puzzle caches.

31 minutes ago, funkymunkyzone said:

The Update Coordinates Log type was for COs to update the coordinates of their cache and yes this has been removed, and coordinate updates by a CO are done by editing the cache page.

The OP asked if the coordinates you could add to a [finder's] log have been removed.

You are correct, that what what I was asking. Used to be able to add coordinates to a found log but not now. But it looks to be linked with the CO coord update change.

1 hour ago, funkymunkyzone said:

Now I'm confused. My understanding from the Release Notes was that the thing they removed was for adding coordinates to a log, not the CO's Update Coordinates log. When I look on the new logging page for one of my hides, the Update Coordinates option is still there and appears to function up to the point of actually clicking on Submit (I wasn't game to do that as I really don't want to change my cache's coordinates).

image.png.e7e09f88031a2de0e454d054fca485d2.png

1 hour ago, Goldenwattle said:

I went and looked at this and I couldn't change the coordinates of a puzzle cache. How will I update this now? I can't put the coordinates in a log as everyone will see the corrected puzzle  coordinates. Those I have already changed the coordinates on appear to show the corrected coordinates still, but I can't add the corrected coordinates to other puzzle caches.

I just tried that on a puzzle cache near here and the pencil icon to change coordinates still works (or at least it does on Firefox on Windows 10), but you have to wait a few seconds before clicking on it as, like just about every page now, it appears to go through two phases of loading pages and nothing works properly until the second phase has completed.

image.png.87ee96aa25b600f59d648a43501569ee.png

Clicking on the pencil icon before that second phase loaded took me to the geocaching home page.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
38 minutes ago, barefootjeff said:

I just tried that on a puzzle cache near here and the pencil icon to change coordinates still works (or at least it does on Firefox on Windows 10), but you have to wait a few seconds before clicking on it as, like just about every page now, it appears to go through two phases of loading pages and nothing works properly until the second phase has completed.

image.png.87ee96aa25b600f59d648a43501569ee.png

Clicking on the pencil icon before that second phase loaded took me to the geocaching home page.

I opened a puzzle and you are correct. I needed to wait. This will slow down logging. Why can't they leave alone that which works :wacko:

I also have such problems. When using Firefox (the current version 71.0) the "pencil icon" doesn't work any more (no matter how long I wait), but it leads me to the search page https://www.geocaching.com/seek/#

And coordinates which are already corrected are not shown in italic as they used to be.

When using the MS Internet Explorer, it works as it should.

By the way, in Firefox I also do not see the logs any more in the listing, I have to click on "view logbook".

Edited by HH58
  • Helpful 2
20 hours ago, barefootjeff said:

Now I'm confused. My understanding from the Release Notes was that the thing they removed was for adding coordinates to a log, not the CO's Update Coordinates log. When I look on the new logging page for one of my hides, the Update Coordinates option is still there and appears to function up to the point of actually clicking on Submit (I wasn't game to do that as I really don't want to change my cache's coordinates).

image.png.e7e09f88031a2de0e454d054fca485d2.png

Sorry you're right, I got confused about the CO update coordinates log as I thought last time I looked for it it wasn't there.  In any case it wasn't what was being asked about anyway.

52 minutes ago, funkymunkyzone said:

They didn't change this.  It's how it has been for ages.  If you added coordinates to a log they would be public for everyone.

No, changing the coordinates at the top of the page have never been public. They only appear on your own page. I have had to (try) to explain this to a couple of cachers who just couldn't understand why no one else could see the coordinates, as after all they had updated their coordinates, by changing those at the top of the page. Some of these conversations were very long and drawn out, with a number of cachers attempting and failing to explain this.

Edited by Goldenwattle
24 minutes ago, Goldenwattle said:

No, changing the coordinates at the top of the page have never been public. They only appear on your own page. I have had to (try) to explain this to a couple of cachers who just couldn't understand why no one else could see the coordinates, as after all they had updated their coordinates, by changing those at the top of the page. Some of these conversations were very long and drawn out, with a number of cachers attempting and failing to explain this.

Ah I get you - I thought that's what you meant... changing the coords just for yourself.....

LOL this forum topic should be renamed "How to confuse a bunch of geocachers" :)

Yeah for your issue I think you just change the coords of the final waypoint, or if it's the posted coords you want changes, then the Update coords log.

I also struggled trying to correct coordinates on a mystery. I realize now I have to wait approximately 5 seconds before clicking coordinates or I  am directed to cache seek page.

Also, when logging the cache, changing date takes really long waiting  time for the pop-up calendar to pop up.

Edited by papu66

When I am caching & find a cache that differs by more then 20 feet from my GPS, I always post my cords for comparison sake.

They used to to to the top of my log in BIG BLACK BOLD NUMBERS which worked get before hitting the summit button.

Then it was removed & I complained to HQ with no reply. Then one day I post a find log & clicked summit & then remembered something I wanted to add. So clicked on the edit button, did my change & as I scrolled down there was the corrected cords that I could add my cords to the cache page. Now just recently that is now gone too.

I sent a message to HQ  complaining about the removal  of this feature. Waiting on a reply from them?

If you use this feature & want it put back, everyone should sent them a message so they know we are not happy with the removal of this great feature.

• Upvote 2
2 hours ago, Micd said:

When I am caching & find a cache that differs by more then 20 feet from my GPS, I always post my cords for comparison sake.

They used to to to the top of my log in BIG BLACK BOLD NUMBERS which worked get before hitting the summit button.

Then it was removed & I complained to HQ with no reply. Then one day I post a find log & clicked summit & then remembered something I wanted to add. So clicked on the edit button, did my change & as I scrolled down there was the corrected cords that I could add my cords to the cache page. Now just recently that is now gone too.

I sent a message to HQ  complaining about the removal  of this feature. Waiting on a reply from them?

If you use this feature & want it put back, everyone should sent them a message so they know we are not happy with the removal of this great feature.

This is what my OP was about.

I didn't think there was any point in complaining to HQ, I just looked for another way to do it and did pretty much what Viajero Perdido suggested (without the asterisks).