What's with these "bogus" discoveries of my coins????

iconions

Within the last three weeks, I have had four "cachers" send bogus logs on some of my geocoins.  How do I know that they are bogus?  Probably because these coins are sitting in my possession and haven't gone anywhere in several years.  It's actions of "cachers" like this, who are only worried about numbers and icons, who got virtuals removed from the game.  Please, have some honor and only claim what you have found....  I have locked the coins in question and have deleted the logs.  

I don't feel like going through all your owned geocoins to see, but do you have any photos of them showing the tracking number? That's an open invitation to many to log them. Be sure to block out the tracking number when posting photos of your (or others') trackables to prevent this kind of logging.

• Upvote 1

Agree with TriciaG,  we see many photos of trackables still held by the TO in another cacher's  profile dashboard gallery.   :)

Much like how some log car decals now, "It was more convenient to take a pic" ... and now that code's on the internet (and never leaves).

I feel if the TO can't tell the difference between a helpful Discover log, and one just meant for numbers, they deserve what issues they have.

It's not even always photos.  Some will write a list of TB codes at big events to log later (some organisers even "helpfully" supply a printed list at the end of the event). These lists are often kept and shared for years after.

I recently deleted three random logs on one of mine four years after the last event it had been to.  Messaged one of the cachers to tell them and got an apology (but no explanation as to how they got the code).

This isn't helped by a page on social media listing hundreds of coin codes, some of which are mine and are here with me. This evening there have been numerous "discoveries" which I have duly deleted.  What is the Groundspeak policy on this - given that the person logging these coins freely admits using codes posted and hence never even seeing these coins?

9 minutes ago, The Klever Boys said:

What is the Groundspeak policy on this - given that the person logging these coins freely admits using codes posted and hence never even seeing these coins?

I'd say it's worth an email ("contact us" at the bottom of all forum pages) to HQ, as you're the third to say something today. 

I'd think the site would like a regular cash flow going.  I saw the faceboook page today, and that's unbelievable...

21 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

I'd say it's worth an email ("contact us" at the bottom of all forum pages) to HQ, as you're the third to say something today. 

I'd think the site would like a regular cash flow going.  I saw the faceboook page today, and that's unbelievable...

"

Hello 31BMSG-

Thank you for contacting Geocaching HQ.

We were recently made aware of this Facebook page and are currently looking into it, as trackables "discovered" without the logger physically interacting with them is discouraged by Geocaching.com.

In the meantime, trackable owners can always delete any logs believed to be bogus or inappropriate. You can also temporarily lock your trackable, essentially taking it out of the game. It can be unlocked later. To lock your Trackable, visit the Trackable page and select "Lock" under "Actions." Confirm on the next page that you want it locked.

Thanks, "

• Surprised 1
10 minutes ago, 31BMSG said:

"Hello 31BMSG-

We were recently made aware of this Facebook page and are currently looking into it, as trackables "discovered" without the logger physically interacting with them is discouraged by Geocaching.com.

In the meantime, trackable owners can always delete any logs believed to be bogus or inappropriate. You can also temporarily lock your trackable, essentially taking it out of the game. It can be unlocked later. To lock your Trackable, visit the Trackable page and select "Lock" under "Actions." Confirm on the next page that you want it locked.

Thanks, "

Wow, kinda nonchalant response when there's hundreds of codes there... 

There's a cacher here, owning hundreds of trackables.  Are they supposed to "temp lock" and delete them all because there's a hacker with the codes ?

3 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

Wow, kinda nonchalant response when there's hundreds of codes there... 

There's a cacher here, owning hundreds of trackables.  Are they supposed to "temp lock" and delete them all because there's a hacker with the codes ?

This is how HQ responds to everything now. They mostly use canned answers for all incoming email. I wrote a rather long email, and got the exact same response - word for word.

Let's just hope they actually do something about it.

13 minutes ago, Old Man 124 said:

I have had 3 people log discoveries on one of my geocoins that have been in my house since 2008, they claim to have seen them on facebook.  I tried to delete the logs but Groundspeak says they are "Locked"   What can I do?

The logs are locked ?    Groundspeak usually doesn't get involved in trackable logs, because they belong to the TO. 

I can't see your trackables on profile (with this privacy thing going on...)  but you can unlock your trackables, if that's what the issue is.

The lock/unlock is on your trackable's page.

1 hour ago, cerberus1 said:

2 hours ago, 31BMSG said:

"

Hello 31BMSG-

Thanks, "

I have tried to delete bogus logs with no results, I have tried to "Lock" the geocoin but that doesn't work either

I'd personally like to call out user "globaltreckers" for logging a Travel Bug that hes never laid eyes on. I've had travel bug in my hands for over a month, seeing caches from all over, but today, logged by Globaltreckers.

why play if you wont play fair

Capture.PNG

• Upvote 1
42 minutes ago, Oh8Hemi said:

I'd personally like to call out user "globaltreckers" for logging a Travel Bug that hes never laid eyes on. I've had travel bug in my hands for over a month, seeing caches from all over, but today, logged by Globaltreckers.

why play if you wont play fair

Capture.PNG

I'll second the call out, he logged one of mine that's been in my possession for a few years now.

On 12/30/2019 at 6:53 PM, cerberus1 said:

Agree with TriciaG,  we see many photos of trackables still held by the TO in another cacher's  profile dashboard gallery.   :)

Much like how some log car decals now, "It was more convenient to take a pic" ... and now that code's on the internet (and never leaves).

I feel if the TO can't tell the difference between a helpful Discover log, and one just meant for numbers, they deserve what issues they have.

I personally take great care to remove the tracking number from the pictures I post on the coins in my collection. Someone with whom I have shared my coin with, at a function or other venue, has taken it upon themselves to share the tracking number of my coins. I take great offense in someone with whom I have not shared this information "discovering" something that they have not seen or handled. Can Groundspeak do anything to shutdown this FB page?

3 hours ago, FatBaldOldMan said:

I personally take great care to remove the tracking number from the pictures I post on the coins in my collection. Someone with whom I have shared my coin with, at a function or other venue, has taken it upon themselves to share the tracking number of my coins.

I take great offense in someone with whom I have not shared this information "discovering" something that they have not seen or handled.

Can Groundspeak do anything to shutdown this FB page?

The other 2/3rds shared lists of her around 200 geocoins at a mega event in '08 with fellow coin nuts.  She got some too.

- They'd be there 'til the next day if they were written by hand.   :)

Well, apparently a couple of people she was kind to were the ones that ruined it for everyone from then on.

She still gets "Discovers",  on coins that have never left her bag since.

I take offense with the person who gave those codes out so nonchalant, and not so much the one who accepted it, maybe thinking it's theirs... 

- But if I ever find who the person was that gave out my private  phone number at a large event (some were interested in a cache of ours...) , I will probably be offensive.

Unless FB has some clause that can allow it, there's nothing HQ can do about code spoilers except potentially warn and kick or ban users caught making use of them or blatantly sharing them.  Best thing we can do is report people as they're discovered and let HQ decide what they can do in response.

Keep in mind if they don't do anything it's not because they want to see 'cheating' proliferate, it's more likely that they can't do anything according to their agreement or TOU. But it's probably a complex issue and I wouldn't doubt if they have a lawyer or knowledgeable media team on hand to provide experience feedback about how to process this kind of abuse.

It's kind of like GDPR for TB code privacy :P  Reaching out into the internet to attempt to wipe out or punish people who contravene the policy of keeping private data private. Or something like that.

At worst, one could form a mob to take vigilante justice on someone you don't like. But that's a whole other can of worms that theoretically, ideally, really no one should openly advocate...

6 hours ago, Jan and the Percey Boys said:

I have had several logs on coins that no one else have ever seen - not been to events, or had photos taken - just in my albums! Do Groundspeak have an anti hacking policy?. It is not as though I haven't paid for the Code and icon!!!

Agree 100 %....... !!!

Here's the list of cachers that have logged some of our coins that have never been out of house. 

pperen, 
Nur der HSV!!!, 
adidaselefant, 
AK Howler,
tinyredfox,
fastoa,
mar1sa,
DustyKay,
mondou2,
Lulybelle,
mkettel,
lamiche37,
E-Smiley,
compiprofi, 
JMVonFange,
Thobias010,
BumblerBee,
JustAlan,
McStoon,
AnetteSt,
dixie_gooner,
Dark Star,
samvelo,
Kleinzschachwitzer,
globaltreckers,
PALHOCOSMACHADO,
P@je,
KesselRun,
ogesandlyn,
NSCR,
iPajero,
mcc_,
Zambesiboy,
davidb1957,
Soave & Pinodor,
fjordsurfi,
run234,
Helder_SSA,
calrunning,
DARKSIDEDAN,
noodles216,
ttrekkerdmc,
Tipsy_1,
Dix1

Perhaps an e-mail from HQ might get them to stop with the bogus logs.

Edited by squishypets
Apology and logs deleted.
  • Surprised 1
  • Helpful 2
39 minutes ago, squishypets said:

Here's the list of cachers that have logged some of our coins that have never been out of house. 

pperen, 
Nur der HSV!!!, 
adidaselefant, 
AK Howler,
tinyredfox,
fastoa,
mar1sa,
DustyKay,
mondou2,
Lulybelle,
mkettel,
lamiche37,
neiaeadry,
E-Smiley,
compiprofi, 
JMVonFange,
Thobias010,
BumblerBee,
JustAlan,
McStoon,
AnetteSt,
dixie_gooner,
Dark Star,
samvelo,
Kleinzschachwitzer,
globaltreckers,
PALHOCOSMACHADO,
P@je,
KesselRun,
ogesandlyn,
NSCR,
iPajero,
mcc_,
Zambesiboy,
davidb1957,
Soave & Pinodor,
fjordsurfi,
run234,
Helder_SSA,
calrunning,
DARKSIDEDAN,
noodles216,
ttrekkerdmc,
Tipsy_1,
Dix1

Perhaps an e-mail from HQ might get them to stop with the bogus logs.

Add Juanronito to that list please.

some of the names look familiar as they have logged my coins as well.  I usually just delete the logs and at that point now I lock the coin so it can't be logged again.  You might still get a logged notice but it doesn't show up on the coin at all.  Caching used to be a respectable sport.  I know they did the same thing with virtual caches way back when as well and they got removed from the lists. I hope that they can figure out a way to stop the armchair discoverers here as well.  

I think it's a real shame some knuckleheads are ruining the enjoyment for others.  This is the "all about me..." age...   Odd n sad.

I feel it distracts from the good things a Discover log is used for. 

Some are already getting that knee-jerk reaction of asking to can that log type, and I feel many will lose if it goes.

My Discover logs tell people where the trackable actually is, logs being incorrect even by long-time players these days.

It tells the condition as well.  You'll know if parts are swapped (ninja turtle now a shoelace),  or if there are none.

My helpful Discover logs will give you the name of that piece of carp that brings boxes of other people's property to events for folks to sign too.

- This is what I always thought the Discover log was designed for...   

I feel if there was one log to be removed, it'd be "Visit".   "Dipping"  became a simple visit log, and folks are very happy with it.

They're so happy that now they log into caches other people's property for months/years on end,  yet the Owner doesn't even (really) know if they have it anymore.

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, NOSNOW said:

I think we should get our money back from Groundspeak for the taking code. We have to lock the coins, which means they can not travel.

That's like saying you should get money back from your phone service because you get crank calls.

I think it's a real shame some knuckleheads are ruining the enjoyment for others.

I understand you're annoyed. I don't mean to defend the knuckleheads, and I wish they'd stop doing something so stupid and annoying. But having said that, it's a shame that this ruins your enjoyment. All the other parts of sending travelers out into the world are all just the same and should give you just as much pleasure. The only thing worse than having to paw through annoying logs filed by knuckleheads would be letting the actions of those knuckleheads ruin the parts of the experience that aren't affected.

• Upvote 1
10 minutes ago, dprovan said:

I understand you're annoyed. I don't mean to defend the knuckleheads, and I wish they'd stop doing something so stupid and annoying.

But having said that, it's a shame that this ruins your enjoyment. .

I'm not annoyed at all...   :)

Merely siding with those that had multiple trackables abused by stat freaks , then have those codes shared on faceboook (insult to...).

They're upset.   It's a lotta work not normal,  deleting a couple hundred logs from multiple trackables.

On 1/6/2020 at 5:53 PM, Jan and the Percey Boys said:

I have had several logs on coins that no one else have ever seen - not been to events, or had photos taken - just in my albums! Do Groundspeak have an anti hacking policy?. It is not as though I haven't paid for the Code and icon!!!

Groundspeak doesn't have a real chance to overcome such an issue. How should they? The codes technically could be guessed as it's "just" numbers, no more and no less. And it looks like this also happened. As long as you activated your coin, a discovery log wouldn't really harm your coin, don't you think so? Worst case you'd just need to delete such a log.

I for sure understand, it's not exactly what one is willing to do, but there simply is no other way. Ok, you could just lock these coins and no further discoveries would be possible.

On 1/6/2020 at 5:08 PM, igator210 said:

There are reports of unactivated codes being activated to. Looks like someone is just using a random number generator to see if codes are valid.

Don't think so, it's a very low number and guessing codes is way too easy, so I'd have expected way more codes otherwise. I guess it's just numbers that someone has seen on the original coin back then. Doesn't make it better. I already suggested to check actual activations vs. this list from that FB group. If such a coin got activated, GS probably just could deactivate it again as it must have come via that list...

15 hours ago, NOSNOW said:

I think we should get our money back from Groundspeak for the taking code. We have to lock the coins, which means they can not travel.

I'd guess that these logs will go down in the next days as it's so many discussions going on everywhere, plus GS for sure will take some action, too. So, just don't lock travelling trackables and worst case delete a few more bogus logs if you wish.

18 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

I feel if there was one log to be removed, it'd be "Visit".

No, that would be awful and if that happened I will never move a TB on again. They travel for awhile with me, often longer with the owners permission/encouragement and the owner gets to follow the journey. I don't want to have to log the TB into and out of every cache I visit. I have photographs to add and occasional comments. I put effort into TBs. I have gone out of my way to take several TBs to their goal, including the example below. That's one reason I don't log on a phone. Besides the fact phone logging has encouraged crappy logs, it's hard to visit a TB to each log. I find it disappointing when someone has one of my TBs and they don't visit it to caches, because it's as though the TB has gone off into limbo.

If visits were removed, how would the following TBs journey be possible. It would be logged in and then sometime later logged out, without photographs, without the occasional comment on its journey. Boring!

https://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=5302831&page=462

• Upvote 1

I didn't see it mention yet, but the official geocaching FB account placed a reply to the latest batch of codes on "that" facebook page:

To any geocachers who are thinking about logging these trackable codes...

Logging trackables that you have not seen, without consent of the trackable owner, is not in the spirit of the game of geocaching. Those who log trackables in this way risk susp
ension of their Geocaching account. Of course, if/when we identify the person(s) who posted trackable codes on this page, their Geocaching account(s) will be subject to action.

It is very disappointing when people choose to create spoiler pages. Unfortunately, because this page is on the Facebook platform, it is up to Facebook to take action regarding the page. We encourage anyone who is concerned about the unauthorized sharing of trackable codes to report this page to Facebook.

Trackable owners can always delete any logs believed to be bogus or inappropriate. You can also temporarily lock your trackable, essentially taking it out of the game. It can be unlocked later. To lock your Trackable, visit the Trackable page and select "Lock" under "Actions." Confirm on the next page that you want it locked.

Also, I have noticed a lot of the fake discover logs have been removed. I checked a few users from the list in this thread, and their tb discover count has gone done a lot (>1000). So it looks like Groundspeak is taking action.

• Upvote 3
3 hours ago, Goldenwattle said:

No, that would be awful and if that happened I will never move a TB on again.

They travel for awhile with me, often longer with the owners permission/encouragement and the owner gets to follow the journey.

I don't want to have to log the TB into and out of every cache I visit.

I put effort into TBs.

I'd guess you know how unusual that is.   :)

A simple "Visit my trackables" search would give you enough to read , that most never even leave a message ...     

Many folks wondering when their trackables, their property,  are ever going into a cache and stay awhile again.

- Then find the person hasn't (really) had it for over six months.  Just adding that code with the twenty others hoarded to every cache

Months or years holding onto another's property wasn't what this log type was intended for either.   ;)

A log type created just because "I don't want to have to log the TB into and out of every cache I visit"...

On 1/7/2020 at 12:01 PM, Sivota said:

Some names of that list look familair to me too.

Problem is, due to the mishaps with the latest relaese I can't delete the logs and I can't lock the coin pages. (using Windows10 and Edge)

There are no (more) logs on your TB/coin, they might be all deleted,. at least for the coin/TB that I've discovered. The last log (your log excluded) was"... placed it in Blick ins Kirnautal".

Your warning (If you discover my geocoin from lists placed on facebook I will log a Found and a Needs Maintenance on each and every cache of you. Why? Well, just like you saw my geocoin number on “the internet”, I have also seen your cache on “the internet” and I will log it too. Sounds fair right…) was not really nice and helpful in this matter.

Yes, I'm one of the bad guys (you can put me on the list too), but I never thought that it will make so much trouble. What is the problem, is the price of the coin falling with these logs? Do they have too many calories? Okay, it's always the same, but isn't it easier to ignore them then to be angry about them? To log the bogus-discoverer's caches is disproportionate and elaborate. By the way: I won't look in the logbook whether you're in it. Geocaching has several facets, if this is yours, than you have to live with it, I only have to live with my mistakes.

Sorry volunteer Sivota!

46 minutes ago, GEOrgCACHING said:

What is the problem, is the price of the coin falling with these logs? Do they have too many calories?

Okay, it's always the same, but isn't it easier to ignore them then to be angry about them? 

Geocaching has several facets, if this is yours, than you have to live with it, I only have to live with my mistakes.

Odd you stepped in.  Good for you I guess.   :)

The "problem" is some people have an extensive collection, some valuable and only shown on occasion. 

You and others forcefully entered their "facet" of the hobby, and they've chosen to stand up for fair play.  That's a good thing...

Now they have to spend their time correcting problems you and others gave them, by having to delete many fake logs.

"Ignoring" them make your bad behavior okay.  Why should the owners let that go ? 

I believe that most owners don't feel they have to live with your rude behavior.   

• Upvote 3
  • Helpful 1
  • Love 2
On 1/6/2020 at 8:08 AM, igator210 said:

There are reports of unactivated codes being activated to. Looks like someone is just using a random number generator to see if codes are valid.

Does anybody have actual evidence of this happening related to this new page?  I haven't been able to corroborate that.  (It is my big fear, though, as I have several hundred in my collection that are not activated.

• Helpful 1
2 hours ago, GEOrgCACHING said:

What is the problem

The problem is that many players didn't know about fake discoveries until now and they are upset.

It is the same effect when a multi- and mystery cache owners realizes that most finds are made by using shared coordinates. They may get upset.

Adventure Lab cache owners were greatly upset when caches were found massively from overseas without ever visiting the coordinates.

The game is based on assumption that players don't know too much about this cheating while for many players, cheating at some level is the game they are actually playing.

HQ is partly involved this degradation with some guidelines that favor some cheating to avoid disputes.

In the real world, this kind of acts are criminalized and there are consequences. For example, sharing email passwords or printing fake money is a punisheable crime.

I know that you already knew this. People like you usually think that they are helpfull when they disclose secrets for those who are not able to do this by themselves.

Edited by arisoft

The "problem" is some people have an extensive collection, some valuable and only shown on occasion. 

You and others forcefully entered their "facet" of the hobby, and they've chosen to stand up for fair play.  That's a good thing...

Now they have to spend their time correcting problems you and others gave them, by having to delete many fake logs.

"Ignoring" them make your bad behavior okay.  Why should the owners let that go ? 

I believe that most owners don't feel they have to live with your rude behavior.   

Well said, thank you...

12 hours ago, Goldenwattle said:

No, that would be awful and if that happened I will never move a TB on again. They travel for awhile with me, often longer with the owners permission/encouragement and the owner gets to follow the journey. I don't want to have to log the TB into and out of every cache I visit. I have photographs to add and occasional comments. I put effort into TBs. I have gone out of my way to take several TBs to their goal, including the example below. That's one reason I don't log on a phone. Besides the fact phone logging has encouraged crappy logs, it's hard to visit a TB to each log. I find it disappointing when someone has one of my TBs and they don't visit it to caches, because it's as though the TB has gone off into limbo.

If visits were removed, how would the following TBs journey be possible. It would be logged in and then sometime later logged out, without photographs, without the occasional comment on its journey. Boring!

https://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=5302831&page=462

Perhaps GS could add another line to their serial numbered products, the Discover bug/coin meant only for discovery and owners concerned with the number of times their trackable is discovered. The goal of this trackable is only to be discovered with a mission set by the owner. Since these will never be placed in a cache only Discovered and Grab logs are accepted. 

For the traditionalist, continue the line of Travel bug/coin meant only to travel from cache to cache and owners concerned with the number of caches and the amount of miles accumulated. The goal of this bug/coin is only to travel from cache to cache and accumulate travel miles with a mission set by the owner. Since these will only be placed in caches, Placed, Retrieved, and Visit logs will only be accepted.

GS can add administrative fees of $1.00 to the price of Discovery trackables and $.50 to the price of Travel trackables, the price difference being Travel trackables are more likely to be muggled. This is a win-win for all, for GS a slight increase in operating revenue, and for stats fanatics the ability to claim new stats, a gazillion Discovery bugs discovered and 7 Travel bugs moved 23 miles.

I'll contact GS later on the terms of my royalties.

Edited by 31BMSG

Here are todays loggers on my coins that have never been out of the house...........

mieke650,
gridge98,
teamsturms,
dartoisjeremy,
KingBob3,
Hippos08,
matteoanne,
P0UT,
TFTNCachn,
mobilemike,
generationsteam,
Kvasir80,
MichaelX05,
Kolmi & Irca,
Taucher07,
desc10,
Rokatos,
mimino84,
LJaku,
chrisbeandk,
Gartenzwergin,
Team Ribeiro,
kiaZiege,
Fröschi10

On 1/9/2020 at 1:49 AM, squishypets said:

Here are todays loggers on my coins that have never been out of the house...........

The problem with this kind of list is that we can not verify that the information is correct. In the worst case scenario somebody would post this kind of list just to harass some innocent players. I am not sure should we harass guilty players either.

HQ should create honeypot trackables and banguide users who discover those honeypot trackables.

Edited by arisoft
1 hour ago, 31BMSG said:

Perhaps GS could add another line to their serial numbered products, the Discover bug/coin meant only for discovery and owners concerned with the number of times their trackable is discovered. The goal of this trackable is only to be discovered with a mission set by the owner. Since these will never be placed in a cache only Discovered and Grab logs are accepted. 

For the traditionalist, continue the line of Travel bug/coin meant only to travel from cache to cache and owners concerned with the number of caches and the amount of miles accumulated. The goal of this bug/coin is only to travel from cache to cache and accumulate travel miles with a mission set by the owner. Since these will only be placed in caches, Placed, Retrieved, and Visit logs will only be accepted.

GS can add administrative fees of $1.00 to the price of Discovery trackables and $.50 to the price of Travel trackables, the price difference being Travel trackables are more likely to be muggled. This is a win-win for all, for GS a slight increase operating revenue, and for stats fanatics the ability to claim new stats, a gazillion Discovery bugs discovered and 7 Travel bugs moved 23 miles.

I'll contact GS later on the terms of my royalties.

I don't know how they did it, as I was not interesting in finding this out, but I have come upon a discover only TB, so this is apparently possible now. I picked up the TB, then later (I log at home on my computer) couldn't visit it to any of the caches I had found that day. I had taken photographs to share of its journey and I wasn't impressed I couldn't add these, except in the one 'Discover' log I could do. I couldn't do a drop off log either; it was only 'Discover'. So I dumped the TB in the next cache I could, as I wasn't interested in this game. But for those who do prefer this game, that feature (Discover only) must exist already. It would have been nice to have had a note with this TB saying it was discover only, and then I wouldn't have taken it. (Likely not have discovered it either, as I rarely bother to only Discover TBs these days. I am not interested in how many TBs I can find.) It's possible of course that it did leave home with a note saying it was discover only, but that has become lost.

4 minutes ago, Goldenwattle said:

I don't know how they did it, as I was not interesting in finding this out, but I have come upon a discover only TB, so this is apparently possible now.

That's what happens when it's in someone's "collection". It's been that way for years. :)

• Upvote 2