Open Source the Website code!

CachedIronSkillet

The community suggests features... they rarely get added.

There are reasons to not add features which strain the servers, but many features would actually reduce server load.

I'd love to add a better way to query Events, or a toggle to hide archived caches on the https://www.geocaching.com/my/owned.aspx page... 

Why not allow programmers willing to help improve the site to do it for free?   I'd love to help.

• Funny 1

I'd like things to stay as-is thanks.  :)      I already feel there's enough cooks in this mix now.

Who'd decide who's "worthy" ?     Can't very well let folks in willy-nilly.  Anyone seeing how wikepedia has gotten understands that...

You want a toggle to hide your archived caches (that are a part of the hobby's history) , and I'd like archived caches from everyone able to be viewed on the map.

One programmer adding things, then removed n replaced by another next week isn't gonna fly.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1

While I don't see the open-source suggestion flying, I think Groundspeak could learn from the features people add to Greasemonkey/Tampermonkey scripts. The fact that someone would go to the trouble to implement these features indicates interest in those features. Groundspeak would do well to consider adding them to the site natively, so everyone can benefit from them.

27 minutes ago, niraD said:

While I don't see the open-source suggestion flying, I think Groundspeak could learn from the features people add to Greasemonkey/Tampermonkey scripts. The fact that someone would go to the trouble to implement these features indicates interest in those features. Groundspeak would do well to consider adding them to the site natively, so everyone can benefit from them.

yeahthat.gif.4a39b902d4d8b86b331162120e432fc7.gif

If people are regularly asking for something to be implemented, but no one does anything about it -- except highly popular user-created workarounds, which don't even have access to the back end, and it works amazingly well -- that may be a sign. :)

• Helpful 2
56 minutes ago, niraD said:

The same could be said for many other tools. For example, if an app like Cachly is so popular, maybe the HQ team should be looking at what it's providing that the official app isn't and see where they can improve. Likewise with GSAK, Project-GC, etc.

That being said, here in the forums we've provided lots of useful feedback and suggestions, often with no resulting action (or action in a different direction than desired). I'm pretty sure HQ knows where they should be focusing their development, but they simply don't have sufficient resources and/or are being directed not to do so for any number of reasons.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
2 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

You want a toggle to hide your archived caches (that are a part of the hobby's history) , and I'd like archived caches from everyone able to be viewed on the map.

One programmer adding things, then removed n replaced by another next week isn't gonna fly.

I agree, chaos wouldn't fly... but well managed Open Source projects do not have that problem.  Feature Requests, Code Reviews, and Pull Requests to merge the feature back into the code base would be a well defined process.