Mystery vs Multi Cache help

Wolfen32

Hello, all. I'm seeking to place a cache at a library. I already have permission for the cache itself, but when it comes to uploading the coordinates and planning the stages, I am running into some trouble. 

The idea is that finders will find a clue outside, like via a hide-a-key, and that will aide them in finding the geocache, which is in a book in the library specifically for that purpose. 

However, the trouble I am having is that there is already a micro in the area, and I can't find a good combination of stages. The website says mystery and multi stages don't follow the same distance requirement. And yet when I input the coords it still says it's invalid. Does anyone have any tips? I'm open to adjusting the format somewhat - but I need a little help with why it won't let me place one despite what it says about those stages. 

Ideally, I would want the book to be a physical stage of some sort. And to contain the logbook. But what are my possibilities here?

library_cache.png

1 hour ago, Wolfen32 said:

However, the trouble I am having is that there is already a micro in the area, and I can't find a good combination of stages. The website says mystery and multi stages don't follow the same distance requirement. And yet when I input the coords it still says it's invalid. Does anyone have any tips? I'm open to adjusting the format somewhat - but I need a little help with why it won't let me place one despite what it says about those stages. 

The cache saturation guideline says that stages WITHIN THE SAME CACHE can be closer than 528 feet from one another.  Each physical element of your cache needs to be at least 528 feet away from any physical element of any other cache.

Here, it sounds like someone else has already featured the library with a geocache.  Any item you place in the environment needs to be more than 528 feet from that microcache.

The cache saturation guideline does not apply to virtual elements -- existing objects in the environment such as signs, statues, and gravestones that are used to provide clues in a multi-stage cache.  Here, you could have a virtual cache stage inside the library (such as information within a card catalog, or a call number for an existing book on the shelf).  That information would lead finders to a physical container hidden outside, and at an adequate distance from the existing cache.

• Helpful 2
52 minutes ago, Isonzo Karst said:

Based on the image in your post, I'm guessing that the cache generating the red circle is Beach Books

https://coord.info/GC7TP9C

That cache seems to be on a bench,  outside the library, on the south side. You aren't going to be able to put anything physical within 538ft of it.

528. ?

Not that it'll make any difference in this case. Just wanted to clarify for the OP.

On 12/28/2019 at 11:24 AM, Isonzo Karst said:

Based on the image in your post, I'm guessing that the cache generating the red circle is Beach Books

https://coord.info/GC7TP9C

That cache seems to be on a bench,  outside the library, on the south side. You aren't going to be able to put anything physical within 538ft of it.

Ah, darn! So there can't be any physical portions, such as containers for either a mystery or multi within that zone? Say a book or something that gives the clue - even if the final is outside? 

2 hours ago, Wolfen32 said:

Ah, darn! So there can't be any physical portions, such as containers for either a mystery or multi within that zone? Say a book or something that gives the clue - even if the final is outside? 

1 hour ago, Kalkendotters said:

Nope; but you can of course use one of the books that are already there. And use that to calculate a new coordinate for the cache.

Exactly. You can use existing objects (books, plaques, monuments, artwork, etc.) within 528ft/161m of an existing cache. But you cannot place your own objects (containers, tags, etc.) within 528ft/161m of an existing cache.

• Upvote 1