Caches in Connecticut State Parks

KayakGZ

I recently hid a cache in Sleeping Giant State Park. S.G was hit by a tornado a couple of years ago, and was closed for quite a while. Most of the caches that were there ended up archived, probably because the C.O's didn't answer the Reviewer's notes about maintenance. I did maintain one cache, which was placed years before it became necessary to obtain permission to place caches in State Parks.

As expected, the Reviewer placed the cache on hold until permit was granted, and provided a link with a mailing address and permit form. I filled it out, and sent copies to both the park, and the state office (the address is a doozy). I'm not getting a response either way. Has anyone had any luck getting these permits? Is there a better way to go about it? Thanks.

2 hours ago, KayakGZ said:

I recently hid a cache in Sleeping Giant State Park. S.G was hit by a tornado a couple of years ago, and was closed for quite a while. Most of the caches that were there ended up archived, probably because the C.O's didn't answer the Reviewer's notes about maintenance. I did maintain one cache, which was placed years before it became necessary to obtain permission to place caches in State Parks.

As expected, the Reviewer placed the cache on hold until permit was granted, and provided a link with a mailing address and permit form. I filled it out, and sent copies to both the park, and the state office (the address is a doozy). I'm not getting a response either way. Has anyone had any luck getting these permits? Is there a better way to go about it? Thanks.

You don't say, but did you ask permission at the park before you hid your cache ? 

We've personally met the people we need to see.   :)    I'd stop there personally. 

The Geocaching regional policies wiki for CT says,    "The park supervisor or designee is responsible for reviewing the application form and approving or denying the request.", and " Any proposed location is subject to inspection and approval by State Parks before permission to place the box or cache is allowed. "

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 2

In my area (i.e. Not Connecticut) I wouldn't hold my breath between Thanksgiving and New Years for an answer.  Most of the Park and Open Space offices are either closed or minimally staffed.  Most people on on duty are dealing with law enforcement activities and patrolling, and not too concerned with taking care of paperwork.

• Upvote 3
  • Helpful 1
1 hour ago, KayakGZ said:

The rules mention removing the cache if a permit is not obtained. The permit application asks for exact coordinates, as if they want to inspect it first?

My experience is that they want/need the coordinates in order to determine if the cache is off trail or not, and if there is any adverse impact that must be taken into consideration.  Other considerations might include restoration work that they don't want disturbed, or culturally sensitive areas they would rather the public doesn't know about or get advertised on line.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
1 hour ago, KayakGZ said:

The rules mention removing the cache if a permit is not obtained. The permit application asks for exact coordinates, as if they want to inspect it first?

We know of a couple that even want to see the container you're using.   It's their area, and we're fine with that.    :)  

- One wants a container that has longevity (ammo cans mostly), and one that asks for only clear containers.

We have a cache that's been there for a while now, and if it ever goes bye-bye, no other cache can be placed at that location (grandfathered, sorta).

The "exact coordinates" for the park is helpful for everything from environmental concerns, to a non-cacher chancing upon what appears to them a "bomb in the woods".

I pull Florida Division of Forestry geocache permits. The form says apply first, get permit, then place. In fact, they want to inspect in the field, so if you do it the way their form says, they can't find it ;-) and this will add a quite a bit of time to the process.

Agreeing with others above me about how the holidays can make this a slow process.  After New Years, maybe call or visit?

16 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

You don't say, but did you ask permission at the park before you hid your cache ? 

We've personally met the people we need to see.   :)    I'd stop there personally. 

The Geocaching regional policies wiki for CT says,    "The park supervisor or designee is responsible for reviewing the application form and approving or denying the request.", and " Any proposed location is subject to inspection and approval by State Parks before permission to place the box or cache is allowed. "

"which was placed years before it became necessary to obtain permission to place caches in State Parks."

I think the inference here is that there was no contact prior to placement.

7 minutes ago, colleda said:

"which was placed years before it became necessary to obtain permission to place caches in State Parks."

I think the inference here is that there was no contact prior to placement.

Correct.   :)

The OP said that they "recently hid a cache..."  and that they also  " did maintain one cache, which was placed years before it became necessary to obtain permission to place caches in State Parks.".   

3 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

Correct.   :)

The OP said that they "recently hid a cache..."  and that they also  " did maintain one cache, which was placed years before it became necessary to obtain permission to place caches in State Parks.".   

I archived most of my caches in NJ State Parks/Forests when they banned smoking.  But I found an interesting rail trail.  It is owned by a state park, though not listed as part of one.  Someone gave me the contact for that state park.  I called, and was given the Internet connection for the proper person to contact.  I set out three caches and received the Geocaching Permit Notification via e-mail.  New Jersey State Parks/Forests require permits for all caches hidden in their territories.  Almost all old caches in state parks/forests were archived for not having current permits.  I know of two that disabled but not archived.  That state forest did not request the archival.  

So, it depends on the requirements from your state parks/forests.   

3 hours ago, Harry Dolphin said:

I archived most of my caches in NJ State Parks/Forests when they banned smoking.

This thread depresses me.  Weren't you once known as land of the free?

Here in Canada we have annoying bureaucracies too; the higher-falutin' they are, the more hostile to caching.  (I've saved over $1000 in national park fees over the years by simply not going to them.  If they don't want my hobby, I have no reason to go there*.)

Thank goodness much of Canada is still "crown land", basically very lightly-managed public land without fancy names that include the word "park".  My favorite times are when I disappear into those woods for a few days at a time.  Great times.

(* I also put barely 1% of my OSM-mapping effort into those parks.  It's a grudge.)

Edited by Viajero Perdido
  • Upvote 1