Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
rosebud55112

How many cachers have this as their only CO cache?

Recommended Posts

So it looks like at some point next month I will have a need to fly to Dallas.  Looking at airfare this morning, I saw that the cheapest-yet-not-in-the-middle-of-the-night flight would put me through DIA (Denver International Airport) with a 2.5 hour layover.  Not enough time to really get out of the airport and cache, but of course, DIA has an Earthcache inside the main terminal.  Yay!  Even more Yay, I do not have Colorado yet, so this would be my first cache in the state--and also my only cache in the state, at least for the time being.

 

I'm sure I would not be the only layover cacher with this cache as my only Colorado cache--is there some way to run a program through Groundspeak or Project-GC to determine the approximate number of cachers in that situation?

 

I know a similar situation can occur with passengers who get the Virtual cache in Chicago O'Hare as their only Illinois cache.  That one is not my only IL cache, but I was able to get it during a layover there last April.

 

I know there is a bookmark of airport-based caches, but my question isn't about that; it's about whether its possible to determine the size of the population with an airport cache (or any one particular cache) as their only cache in the geographic region.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post

Airport caches in secure areas like the one you mention (including Earthcaches and virtual caches) are no longer allowed.  It's too bad.

Share this post


Link to post

I have a virtual cache from Midway airport in Chicago that is my only find so far in IL.  There's also a (new) virtual in Sacramento that I have, but as CA is my home state, I have a lot more finds in CA than just the airport virtual.  Both of those airport caches are in public areas, you don't need to be a ticketed passenger to access the area to claim the find.  And both are placed as one of the Virtual rewards recently distributed.

 

 GC7B6ZZ - Virtual Reward - Leap.

GC7B7Q4 - City of Neighborhoods

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, fizzymagic said:

Airport caches in secure areas like the one you mention (including Earthcaches and virtual caches) are no longer allowed.  It's too bad.

 

There's a Virtual Rewards 2.0 cache in the secure area of Sydney airport, in an aviation museum in one of the domestic terminals, so I don't think there's any global prohibition on such caches. As CAVinoGal said, you don't need a plane ticket to pass through security, just don't have anything they don't like (knives, weapons, explosives and similar stuff that might be part of your caching kit).

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, barefootjeff said:

 

There's a Virtual Rewards 2.0 cache in the secure area of Sydney airport, in an aviation museum in one of the domestic terminals, so I don't think there's any global prohibition on such caches. As CAVinoGal said, you don't need a plane ticket to pass through security, just don't have anything they don't like (knives, weapons, explosives and similar stuff that might be part of your caching kit).

Most of the US airports I've been thru, you do need a boarding pass to get inside the security zone.

 

My only cache in Germany is in the Frankfort Airport, when we changed planes on the way back from Israel.

Share this post


Link to post
42 minutes ago, barefootjeff said:

 

There's a Virtual Rewards 2.0 cache in the secure area of Sydney airport, in an aviation museum in one of the domestic terminals, so I don't think there's any global prohibition on such caches. As CAVinoGal said, you don't need a plane ticket to pass through security, just don't have anything they don't like (knives, weapons, explosives and similar stuff that might be part of your caching kit).

 

I stand corrected.  They are not allowed at US airports.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, barefootjeff said:

 

There's a Virtual Rewards 2.0 cache in the secure area of Sydney airport, in an aviation museum in one of the domestic terminals, so I don't think there's any global prohibition on such caches. As CAVinoGal said, you don't need a plane ticket to pass through security, just don't have anything they don't like (knives, weapons, explosives and similar stuff that might be part of your caching kit).

A Virtual after security at Canberra airport too. You just need to make sure you are not carrying anything banned. Don't need a ticket.

Edited by Goldenwattle

Share this post


Link to post

There have been previous threads on this topic.

I think I then mentioned there is a traditional in the Butterfly Garden, Changi Airport, Singapore. terminal 3 IIRC.

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, colleda said:

There have been previous threads on this topic.

I think I then mentioned there is a traditional in the Butterfly Garden, Changi Airport, Singapore. terminal 3 IIRC.

 

The topic isn't the existence of caches in airports--the topics is whether it is possible to determine how many cachers have such a cache as the only cache in the state or other geographical region.  It may well be the case that that is not determineable.  So far, no one has had input on that question.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post

It may be possible to determine "only one find in region" on other sites; project gc runs a lot finder stats, but mostly top finder.  

 

I suspect bottom finder, ie, Colorado (or other geographic area)  finds = 1, isn't being tracked.   Here you'd just have to open a ton of profiles.  As userid numbers now top 28,000,000 this could tough.

I expect the site owners can determine how many users have ever logged 1 find, as opposed to mere user accounts.  And that's not what interests you either. I expect there's a fair number of accounts with only 1 find.  Not quite your interest

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, barefootjeff said:

As CAVinoGal said, you don't need a plane ticket to pass through security

That's not what I said, exactly.  And it wasn't what I meant to convey either.  And in my (limited) experience, flying in the US, you DO need a ticket (boarding pass) to pass through security.

14 hours ago, CAVinoGal said:

Both of those airport caches are in public areas, you don't need to be a ticketed passenger to access the area to claim the find. 

What I tried, unsuccessfully, to say is that the Virtual 2.0 caches I have done at the two airports (SMF and MDW) were in public areas, anyone can access with or without a ticket, and they are located or can be completed before you pass through any security checks (or after you have exited the secured area).  It was nice when I had some time between flights, gave me something to do, gave me a nother smilie, and a new state on the map, even if it's only one cache find!

 

I suspect any of the NEW Virtual 2.0 caches in airports are outside the security check; still convenient for travelers, but accessible by anyone who is willing to make the trip to the airport to get it, passenger or not.

Edited by CAVinoGal
Clarification

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, CAVinoGal said:
13 hours ago, barefootjeff said:

As CAVinoGal said, you don't need a plane ticket to pass through security

That's not what I said, exactly.  And it wasn't what I meant to convey either.  And in my (limited) experience, flying in the US, you DO need a ticket (boarding pass) to pass through security.

 

Sorry about that. With the airports here, security screening is pretty much at the entrance to the buildings so there's not much in the way of public area outside the secure area, apart from the roads and car parks.

Share this post


Link to post
23 minutes ago, barefootjeff said:

Sorry about that. With the airports here, security screening is pretty much at the entrance to the buildings so there's not much in the way of public area outside the secure area

No need for an apology - we all reply from our own experiences, sometimes "assuming" things that just aren't the same globally.  Like airp;ort security - I just assumed it was pretty much the same process all over.  But never having flown outside the US post 9-11, and only once before then, in the 70's as part of a group of teens on a French class trip, I didn't realize, or even think about differences!

Share this post


Link to post

I suspect the search would be easiest using this approach:

1. determine a list of "layover caches"

2. see if each finder has >1 find in that geography

 

If you are reduced to a manual search, my guess is a sampling of 10 or so of those caches and 10 or so finders for each one may yield a reasonable estimate.

 

 

Edited by schmittfamily

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, rosebud55112 said:

 

The topic isn't the existence of caches in airports--the topics is whether it is possible to determine how many cachers have such a cache as the only cache in the state or other geographical region.  It may well be the case that that is not determineable.  So far, no one has had input on that question.

OK I think I get it. I reckon there could be many that would have the Singapore cache as their only find for Singapore as it is a major transit hub for international flights, particularly from say Australia/New Zealand going to Europe. I have transited Singapore many times myself. Helsinki is another international transit hub for some travelers on some airlines going from Asia to Europe. I did a transit there twice also but can't recall if there was a cache to be had. I'll kick myself if there was as I didn't think to check. It would be my my only find for Finland if there was one. As to how one would would find the stat being looked for, good luck.

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, barefootjeff said:

 

Sorry about that. With the airports here, security screening is pretty much at the entrance to the buildings so there's not much in the way of public area outside the secure area, apart from the roads and car parks.

It's a while since I've flown out of my local airport, Canberra, but I think that to visit a cafe, etc, you do need to pass through security, which anyone can do as long as they are not carrying banned items and don't mind being wiped for explosive material, etc. There is a virtual there and I went to do it not long ago, but didn't, as I wasn't prepared to travel through security, as my bag wasn't security prepared. I will remove a few things next time I attempt this cache.

Share this post


Link to post
25 minutes ago, Goldenwattle said:

It's a while since I've flown out of my local airport, Canberra, but I think that to visit a cafe, etc, you do need to pass through security, which anyone can do as long as they are not carrying banned items and don't mind being wiped for explosive material, etc. There is a virtual there and I went to do it not long ago, but didn't, as I wasn't prepared to travel through security, as my bag wasn't security prepared. I will remove a few things next time I attempt this cache.

 

Yeah, that's how it worked at Sydney and Mooloolaba airports when I flew up to the Sunshine Coast in July. About the only things outside the secure area were the checked baggage and car rental counters, with all the shops and waiting areas (and virtual caches) on the secure side. The security checking comprises bag x-rays, metal detectors and explosives swiping, with no requirement for tickets, boarding passes or any ID.

Share this post


Link to post
On 12/26/2019 at 10:14 PM, fizzymagic said:

 

I stand corrected.  They are not allowed at US airports.

There's one at LAX but you can do it anywhere at the airport. 

Share this post


Link to post
On 12/27/2019 at 12:39 AM, The Jester said:

Most of the US airports I've been thru, you do need a boarding pass to get inside the security zone.

 

My only cache in Germany is in the Frankfort Airport, when we changed planes on the way back from Israel.

 

That was true for me too for awhile, but I've since been back to Germany to Hamburg and Berlin and found caches there.  My first "find" in Switzerland was also a webcam cache at Zurich airport.  There's a nice traditional cache at Changi airport in Singapore in a Butterfly garden.  I forgot about the one in Sacramento airport when I was there a couple of months ago.

Share this post


Link to post
On 12/27/2019 at 9:29 AM, CAVinoGal said:

That's not what I said, exactly.  And it wasn't what I meant to convey either.  And in my (limited) experience, flying in the US, you DO need a ticket (boarding pass) to pass through security.

What I tried, unsuccessfully, to say is that the Virtual 2.0 caches I have done at the two airports (SMF and MDW) were in public areas, anyone can access with or without a ticket, and they are located or can be completed before you pass through any security checks (or after you have exited the secured area).  It was nice when I had some time between flights, gave me something to do, gave me a nother smilie, and a new state on the map, even if it's only one cache find!

 

I suspect any of the NEW Virtual 2.0 caches in airports are outside the security check; still convenient for travelers, but accessible by anyone who is willing to make the trip to the airport to get it, passenger or not.

 

SJC's (San Jose CA) virtual is outside the security area and is a 2.0 cache.

 

My favorite airport cache and only Illinois find is ORD Layover. GC5165 I barely had enough time to rush to solve the question and make my connection. Glad it was there.

Share this post


Link to post

Thank you to all who responded.  It's too bad that this would be so difficult to calculate.

 

Strangely enough, in the two weeks since this thread was first posted, a new virtual cache has been placed at DEN, meaning that travellers through there will now get a chance to get two caches, not just the one Earthcache.

Share this post


Link to post
On 12/26/2019 at 8:30 PM, rosebud55112 said:

I know a similar situation can occur with passengers who get the Virtual cache in Chicago O'Hare as their only Illinois cache.

 

Indeed.  ORD Layover is our only Illinois find so far.  After flying to San Antonio for a conference, I had a choice of flights to return to Germany, and I purposely chose O'Hare so I could get this cache.  I almost paid for my hubris, as I didn't think about the high probability of getting snowed in, but thankfully my flight back to Frankfurt left on time.  ORD Layover and similar caches were what inspired me to put my airport list together, which thankfully continues to grow over the years.  (And, per @Goldenwattle's post, it appears I need to add a few for CBR, so plus a few more caches there.)

 

As far as the original question, it never occurred to me to try to figure that out.  I don't know an easy way to do it.

Share this post


Link to post

In reply to the original question:  I also have the Denver airport earthcache as my only Colorado cache.

 

We were flying from New Orleans to Las Vegas and I arranged to go via Denver just to get the cache. :D

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1

×
×
  • Create New...