waypoint projection down to cm possible?

Catanserg

Hello,

just a question:Iis waypoint projection down to cm possible?  I know the common apps round it up to meters and it is not really necessary for everyday geocaching. It is just a general question. For example I have the coordinate N 45° 28.888 W 100° 01.111  and walk 17.35 meters north, that is 1735 cm.

Edited by Catanserg
8 hours ago, colleda said:

This luddite needs help in understanding in what situation/s this can be useful or is it just academic discussion?

Reread the first post more carefully and you will know. :rolleyes:

just a question [...] it is not really necessary for everyday geocaching. It is just a general question.

Happy Learning

Hans

21 minutes ago, arisoft said:

Try high-D mystery caches. Some may require micrometer resolution. :D

Thanks arisoft. I have trouble enough with D2 mysteries.:wacko: Some day I may progress. Math was my favourite subject in school but I wasn't real good at it though I loved solving quadratic equations.:)

16 minutes ago, arisoft said:

In Geocaching we need to solve spheroidic equations, in practice, you need a set of tools for iterative calculations.

Here is an example https://coord.info/GC15000

Whoa! Way above my pay scale. I kinda got the spheroidic stuff but the example cache had me staring blankly at the screen interspersed with Finnish Google translations.  I was quite chuffed that I recognised it was Finnish even though I don't know any Finnish words. I was in Finland last year, but only in transit for a couple of hours, flying from Japan to Budapest.

54 minutes ago, colleda said:

Whoa! Way above my pay scale. I kinda got the spheroidic stuff but the example cache had me staring blankly at the screen interspersed with Finnish Google translations.  I was quite chuffed that I recognised it was Finnish even though I don't know any Finnish words. I was in Finland last year, but only in transit for a couple of hours, flying from Japan to Budapest.

The description is written in english. Did you forget to shut down your automatic Google translator? :bad:

On 12/20/2019 at 4:18 PM, Catanserg said:

Hello,

just a question:Iis waypoint projection down to cm possible?  I know the common apps round it up to meters and it is not really necessary for everyday geocaching. It is just a general question. For example I have the coordinate N 45° 28.888 W 100° 01.111  and walk 17.35 meters north, that is 1735 cm.

Negative. Because the N XX XX.xxx format can not be within a centimeter of being accurate on it's own,  it would have to be N XX XX.xxxxxx (6 digits) format to start with to have centimeter accuracy. 

Example 

N 45° 28.888 W 100° 01.111 to N 45° 28.889 W 100° 01.112 is about 2 meters or 200 centimeters. 

N 45 28.8885 would be about 100 centimeters from N 45 28.888 ....