Trifecta

Clongo_Rongo

The Trifecta refers to a specific set of three geocache sites within the Pacific Northwest!  Attempting to complete the Trifecta is a popular goal of geocachers traveling to the Seattle/Portland area.  

The three geocaches considered as the Trifecta are the recently re-discovered Project A.P.E. cache container (GC1169), the Original Stash Tribute Plaque (GCGV0P) and the Geocaching Headquarters (GCK25B).

you can buy the coin to celebrate your signing the logs on all three,  but you are not able to set a challenge for others to do the same

-

I am finding it really hard to set a challenge cache unless i can prove hundreds can also claim a find already ?

what is the point of setting a  challenge if you have to prove so many can already claim a find ?

Edited by CHEZRASCALS
  • Love 1
9 minutes ago, CHEZRASCALS said:

The Trifecta refers to a specific set of three geocache sites within the Pacific Northwest!  Attempting to complete the Trifecta is a popular goal of geocachers traveling to the Seattle/Portland area.  

The three geocaches considered as the Trifecta are the recently re-discovered Project A.P.E. cache container (GC1169), the Original Stash Tribute Plaque (GCGV0P) and the Geocaching Headquarters (GCK25B).

you can buy the coin to celebrate your signing the logs on all three,  but you are not able to set a challenge for others to do the same

-

I am finding it really hard to set a challenge cache unless i can prove hundreds can also claim a find already ?

what is the point of setting a  challenge if you have to prove so many can already claim a find ?

I don't think hundreds are required. 

Without the requirement to show that others qualify for the challenge, it could turn into a "Here's my big accomplishment. I bet no one else can do what I did!"

If I understand this right, you’re trying to make a Trifecta challenge.

If you read the rules, you’ll see they demonstrating that the challenge is “do-able” is one of the rules. Nobody said you have to find “hundreds” but a sampling will do.

In this situation I may try looking up the profiles of several prominent cachers in the area (more than 10k finds) and see if they’ve completed the a trifecta. Get a list of maybe 3-4, I bet that would satisfy the reviewer.

You could also ask around a little on the local geocaching social media sites to see who has completed the trifecta, and get some names that way. Send messages to some of the prominent cachers. Etc. I think you only need about 3-4, that would probably be adequate.

Edited by Korichnovui
5 minutes ago, Korichnovui said:

If I understand this right, you’re trying to make a Trifecta challenge.

If you read the rules, you’ll see they demonstrating that the challenge is “do-able” is one of the rules. Nobody said you have to find “hundreds” but a sampling will do.

In this situation I may try looking up the profiles of several prominent cachers in the area (more than 10k finds) and see if they’ve completed the a trifecta. Get a list of maybe 3-4, I bet that would satisfy the reviewer.

here is the reply from GCHQ

Hello
Thanks for contacting Geocaching HQ.

Unfortunately, your challenge cache idea would not be possible because it would not comply with the Specific Lists guideline of the Challenge Cache Guidelines.

Best regards,

Geocaching HQ

• Helpful 1

Academically, here's how I would go about getting a list of cachers that already qualify.

A challenge checker would need to be written. Using that, you can look at past logs on one of these caches. As there is a Going APE event every year, I would look for people that attended the one in 2015, and run them through the checker. The reason for that year is that the Going APE event was held during the same week as the Geocaching Block party, and lots of people would attend both. It would probably be mentioned in their logs.

However, given the timing and popularity of the Block Party and the Going APE events, I would think it would be self evident to the reviewer that this challenge has already been met by hundreds of geocachers.

And, the published guidelines for what is not allowed with regards to Specific Lists doesn't seem to disqualify this cache.

13 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

It would be helpful to get the rest of the info, such as the wording of your challenge. Is it just to find those three specific caches?

Find all 3 as per project - gc checker - 

• Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, CHEZRASCALS said:

I know what the Trifecta is. What is your challenge that was denied? Find those same three caches? 

A challenge based on elements under the cache owner’s primary control is not acceptable: examples, my favorites, my caches, bookmark lists, caches by this owner, or this group. (Help center).

7 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

I know what the Trifecta is. What is your challenge that was denied? Find those same three caches? 

A challenge based on elements under the cache owner’s primary control is not acceptable: examples, my favorites, my caches, bookmark lists, caches by this owner, or this group. (Help center).

Yes, you can't have a challenge that requires finding a list of specific caches (or even a specifc single cache).

• check.png A challenge based on caches with at least X number of Favorite Points can be published, as the information comes from Geocaching.com.
  • error.png A challenge based on elements under the cache owner’s primary control is not acceptable: examples, my favorites, my caches, bookmark lists, caches by this owner, or this group.

It has nothing to do with needing hundreds of pre-qualifiers. For the two challenge caches I've had published, I provided the reviewer with a list of ten pre-qualifiers from the cache's likely catchment area (I used roughly a 50km radius) and that was accepted. Ten is a number that has been often quoted in the forums but it probably varies region to region and maybe even challenge to challenge depending on the local caching demography.

• Helpful 2

I expect thousands have completed the Trifecta over the years. We did it in 2006/2007 with the original Ape cache and the original HQ when you still needed a reservation to visit HQ. I imagine many have tried to create a challenge cache for this. Perhaps it might work if you specified finding caches created on specific dates? Still pretty obvious as to intent, but you never know.

4 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

I don't think hundreds are required. 

Without the requirement to show that others qualify for the challenge, it could turn into a "Here's my big accomplishment. I bet no one else can do what I did!"

Yeah, heaven forbid if a challenge was actually challenging.

Edited by bflentje
  • Upvote 1
7 hours ago, CHEZRASCALS said:

Your challenge violates the guideline preventing challenges to list a set of specific caches that must be found.  Read the guidelines and it should be obvious.  The fact that you didn't even  understand which guideline it violated does not speak well of your having read and understood the guidelines.

The rejection had nothing to do with the number of cachers who could achieve the challenge.

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1
On 12/13/2019 at 11:14 PM, CHEZRASCALS said:

Just because there is a coin for something, does not mean it has to be a challenge cache.  And just because Groundspeak sells, or sold, a coin for the "Trifecta," does not make it a de facto recognition that this is valid criteria for a challenge cache.

Think of it more like a geotrail.  Geotrail organizers can have a coin, and a souvenir, for completing caches in a geotrail.  And I suppose they could have a "series bonus" cache for finding all of the geotrail caches.  But they can't make a "challenge cache" for doing so, because that would require finding a specific list of caches, and you can't do that anymore.

Edited by hzoi
  • Helpful 1
On 12/13/2019 at 2:14 PM, CHEZRASCALS said:

-

I qualify, but definitely have it easier than most. Folks live in Seattle and used to live in Portland.

Putting in a plug for GC17 over GC12 or GC16. GC17 on a clear day has a wonderful view of Mount Hood. The others are just walks in the forest.

ideas to get approved

1) Two of your three are the top favorited caches in Oregon and Washington.  

GCK25B is #1 in Washington & GCGV0P is #1 in Oregon 

2) Use the unique cache types, find a HQ type, ape type (yes 2 will qualify here)

3) This might have been grandfathered but have seen a challenge that used the original stash souvenir. You could try the ape one as well.

Ironic that I was planning on signing this challenge today: The Emerald Trifecta Challenge GC84VVV

• Helpful 1
1 hour ago, MNTA said:

I qualify, but definitely have it easier than most. Folks live in Seattle and used to live in Portland.

Putting in a plug for GC17 over GC12 or GC16. GC17 on a clear day has a wonderful view of Mount Hood. The others are just walks in the forest.

Yes, you are right about the views, its one of my regrets that I did not go for GC16, while there

but will be back again next year after doing Mingo

Mt H.jpg

• Love 1