BUG: Drafts not Transferring from Android to PC

51MarLin

App on Android 9 and Web App in Firefox on Windows 7

Yesterday I found 3 caches and saved each log as a draft. Today I went to enter the logs, which I always do on my PC. I could see the 3 drafts on my phone, but my PC was only showing 1 draft - the first one of the day. My phone was connected to my WiFi - so that wasn't an issue. Nothing I did within either App would transfer the other 2 drafts to the PC. So I logged out of the Phone App and logged back in, and all drafts disappeared. I then logged out of the PC App and back in, but the drafts were still gone.

Maybe I should have logged out and in to my PC first. But this shouldn't be happening. This is the second time this has happened to me. But most of the time it works fine.

Thoughts, suggestions, fixes?

I use a sligthly different setup - Android 10, Official geocaching app, and Chrome on WIndows 10 (I guess that's more than "slightly" different, isn't it?)  I logged two drafts yesterday while out running errands, and finding caches.  Came home, and logged as usual on the PC.  My drafts were both there, as expected.

Before trying the log out, log back in route, I'd try a different browser, Chrome or IE, to see if the behavior is the same. Make sure your phone app is up to date (I'm at V. 8.11.1) on a Google Pixel phone.

I'm also using the 8.11.1 version of the app. I should have been a little clearer, 99% of the time saving as a draft on my phone and then finalizing them on my computer works fine. It's just that I expect a well written app to prevent any loss of data.

I had another experience yesterday, And I should have known better as this never works. I found a cache, a FTF, and I posted it right away - but I didn't have cell service. The app looked like it posted it, there was a smile for the cache, but no log entry. I also saved 2 drafts on a couple of caches I found afterwards. When I got home, the app was still showing the smile, but not my log; and the 2 drafts were missing. My computer showed nothing, no smiles, no finds, no drafts. And that's why I never post finds from my phone - always drafts.

Well it's done it again. My android app shows 2 drafts from yesterday, which I can read. Neither Firefox nor Chrome show any Drafts. This time I tried logging out and back in on my computer, but it didn't make a difference. The only way I see to get drafts from my phone to my computer and into Geocaching.com is to copy the drafts from my phone to an email, email it to myself and then paste the text into Geocaching.com. This is ridiculous.

Using the latest version of the android app.  Previously successfully saved drafts on the app. 

App used online and andoid connected to wifi.  Connection is valid as messages are received,

Fired up the browser version and the drafts were not loaded onto the website.

Tried restrarting laptop, android, app but all to no avail.

The uploading of drafts to the web had previously been used successfully for an extended period but now fails.

Any hints on how to over come this bug?

On 12/17/2019 at 10:18 AM, 51MarLin said:

I'm also using the 8.11.1 version of the app. I should have been a little clearer, 99% of the time saving as a draft on my phone and then finalizing them on my computer works fine. It's just that I expect a well written app to prevent any loss of data.

I had another experience yesterday, And I should have known better as this never works. I found a cache, a FTF, and I posted it right away - but I didn't have cell service. The app looked like it posted it, there was a smile for the cache, but no log entry. I also saved 2 drafts on a couple of caches I found afterwards. When I got home, the app was still showing the smile, but not my log; and the 2 drafts were missing. My computer showed nothing, no smiles, no finds, no drafts. And that's why I never post finds from my phone - always drafts.

I am having the exact same problem. I thought maybe I was doing something wrong, but reading this thread it sounds like a bug. I guess I will go back and rewrite my logs from the website. It’s too bad that this problem is happening. It was nice to be able to record things right away so I remembered whch logs had wet logbooks, full logs, etc.

Temporary Fix!

Using the site: APKMirror.com, I uninstalled the latest version, downloaded and installed the previous version, 8.11.1 and the Drafts are now transferring from my Android App to the Desktop/Web Browser APP. I then turned Auto-Update OFF in the Play Store, at least until Groundspeak fixes this problem.

Edited by 51MarLin
  • Helpful 1
52 minutes ago, Charissadee said:

Were you able to get back the logs you had previously lost?

No, but since I was uninstalling the newest version I didn't expect to. I copied them manually and emailed them to my self. Then I did the uninstall of 8.12 and installed 8.11.1. When I started 8.11.1 it was like the first time start up - giving hints, etc. The Drafts and the downloaded Lists were all gone - but again I expected that so I was prepared. I probably should have mentioned that in my previous post. Note that this is the same behavior as when you log out and log back in to the phone app, you lose all drafts and downloaded/offline lists.

I know I had this problem with 8.11.1, but it was infrequent. Whereas with 8.12 it happened each time. Though, as I remember, when it did happen with 8.11.1 I never found a way to resolve it and get my drafts uploaded.

Marc (aka 51MarLin)

Well that didn't work either. Today I saved a draft on my phone using Geocaching App ver 8.11.1 and when I returned home I checked my web app - NO drafts. I may go back one more version - but I think this is really up to Groundspeak to fix! Posting here appears to be a waste of time (no offense to anyone).

Hmmmm, I just logged caches from drafts yesterday, same as I typically do, with no issues.  I checked and I am on V. 8.11.1 though.   I see there is an update available (I don't have my phone set to auto update ANYTHING!), so I'm going to install it now, and probably find a cache tomorrow and log it as a draft and see what happens.

Update completed, now on V. 8.12.0, so we'll see what happens when I go caching in the next day or so.

Edited by CAVinoGal
  • Helpful 1

I just started using the android app today to grab a few caches. Android 5.1, windows 10, App 8.12.0.  

I found the cache, entered log information and pressed post. When I came home to Wifi I turned it on at the phone and let is soak while I made dinner. Then I checked the website and one of the logs had pushed to the website. Went back as best as I could remember and re logged the emaining finds manually. If logging isn't reliable, I may just go back to paper and pencil field notes and log from field notes.

How is it supposed to work? The phone is a retired HTC Desire, so It doesn't have a cell chip, only Wifi connectivity. 

• Helpful 1

It's not necessarily a new problem. According to the app on my Android phone, I have one draft; the relevant page on the website reveals five. It's been that way for a few weeks, if not months.

I agree with the OP that with all the technological know-how at the disposal of the people at Groundspeak, this ought not to be an issue.

On 12/28/2019 at 6:13 PM, CAVinoGal said:

Update completed, now on V. 8.12.0, so we'll see what happens when I go caching in the next day or so.

We went out geocaching yesterday, completed one Adventure Lab and found 6 others, plus one DNF.  The Adventure Lab is logged within the Adventure app, on the spot.  But the other 7 I logged as usual, (Drafts), on the phone.  Official geocaching app, v. 8.12.0, Google Pixel, Android 10.

We got home, and I sat down at my computer (HP laptop, Windows 10, Chrome browser), opened geocaching.com, my drafts were all there, and I was able to log them as I usually do.  Click on the draft, it opens the entry screen, I type in my log adding the details to my draft notes, post it, and it returns me to the cache page with a box at the top to "Return to Drafts".  I can review my posted log on the cache page, then go back to my drafts list and click on the next ... it worked as I expected.

Perhaps the issue is older versions of Windows, browser, or phone (hardware and/or software)?

22 hours ago, CAVinoGal said:

We went out geocaching yesterday, completed one Adventure Lab and found 6 others, plus one DNF.  The Adventure Lab is logged within the Adventure app, on the spot.  But the other 7 I logged as usual, (Drafts), on the phone.  Official geocaching app, v. 8.12.0, Google Pixel, Android 10.

We got home, and I sat down at my computer (HP laptop, Windows 10, Chrome browser), opened geocaching.com, my drafts were all there, and I was able to log them as I usually do.  Click on the draft, it opens the entry screen, I type in my log adding the details to my draft notes, post it, and it returns me to the cache page with a box at the top to "Return to Drafts".  I can review my posted log on the cache page, then go back to my drafts list and click on the next ... it worked as I expected.

Perhaps the issue is older versions of Windows, browser, or phone (hardware and/or software)?

Phone is moto g(6) (current model is g(7))

Android ver is 9

It's not just Windows, if I log into Geocaching.com via my browser on my phone - it doesn't show the drafts there either. The problem is I rarely have cell service where I cache, so I can't check, or log, using the browser.

My phone is not rooted or have anything odd installed. This is not happening every time, Previously it rarely happened, but in the past month it's happening more often then not. I'm coming to the point of switching to Geooh-Go, but I haven't mastered it as well as I have the Geocaching app.

Still on Version 8.10. Went caching on Friday. found 4 caches, created 4 drafts. They transferred fine and were there on my desktop when I got home. Maybe, for my phone, there's something not working correctly. The timing of the release (12/6/19 for 8.11.1) is when (as far as I can remember) this problem started appearing consistently. So on very limited evidence, version 8.10 seems to be working fine for me.

Note, there was an updated release of 8.12 on 1/3/19 (no version number change - still 8.12.0). I may give that a try to see if  it works any better. The "What's New" info isn't very specific, i.e., "Ongoing maintenance. The latest app update includes small visual changes and bug fixes for a more consistent experience."

57 minutes ago, wills2find said:

I have this problem with the very latest version of the app. If the phone is off line when the draft is created it doesn't subsequently sync..... unless the draft is subsequently modified whilst the phone is online...

I haven't tried editting the draft when back online. I'm almost always offline when caching (poor cell service where I live and cache). One trick I've learned is if there's no cell service, I put my phone into Airplane mode, this makes the app respond much faster when accessing downloaded lists. 

As far as I can tell, this issue is a synchronization problem that's been around for months and is not related to the app version. It rather seems that when you log out and in again when installing the app again, regardless of the version, the data between the app and the online world is synchronized. I seem to recall that for some users sometimes it helped to just log out and in again.

On 1/9/2020 at 2:32 AM, bliss-chris said:

As far as I can tell, this issue is a synchronization problem that's been around for months and is not related to the app version. It rather seems that when you log out and in again when installing the app again, regardless of the version, the data between the app and the online world is synchronized. I seem to recall that for some users sometimes it helped to just log out and in again.

Yes this has been happening sporadically for a long time, for me - maybe once every 20-25 outings. But starting in November-December, it started happening every time. On 1/10/20, Groundspeak support acknowledged the issue to me: "We are now aware of issues with drafts on Android devices. We apologize for the inconvenience and hope to get this issue resolved soon."

In the meantime I'm just as happy using version 8.10 til they get it fixed.

Marc (aka 51MarLin)

I've been playing around a bit. Today I ran into this issue logging a FTF on my way home, but out of cell service. The draft is on my phone, but not on the website. So I edited the draft and saved it from home where my phone is now online. The draft now shows up on the website.

I think the app has a hard time playing while offline. If you log a find, it won't cache that data and send it when you are next online. It just kinda gets lost where the app thinks you logged the find, but the servers don't get that information. Same happens with a draft. The phone will store it, but won't send it to the servers later, even when calling up the app. You have to go in and resend each one while connected for it to work. That can be a pain for those who make a lot of finds while out of 4G (or even 3G) service. 

I keep battery save mode on with my phone, so I don't know if that is the culprit as it restricts processes from running in the background. Perhaps one day I'll remember to turn it off and try again.

• Helpful 1