Waymarking.com disappeared?

elyob

We are still trying to figure out what is wrong. We have so far been attempting to make some code optimizations, but now we are looking to add some hardware resources to see if that can bring some relief. Hoping to get things under control soon. Thanks for your continued patience.

Bootron

So I believe we have figured out what the issue was. When we updated the website to use ssl on all pages in October, that move was the equivalent of changing every single page on the website to be a different url than before, and Google's search bots went into a frenzy working to reindex our site over the past several months. The activity of Googlebot increased slowly at first but became pretty relentless in the past month. Because it was repeatedly hitting our search page with all kinds of random combinations, it put heavy CPU pressure on our servers in waves that happened every couple minutes.

The two things that seem to have solved this problem are A) Adding some more CPU to the servers, and B ) putting noindex meta tags on pages that shouldn't be indexed like the /wm/search.aspx page. These actions have resulted in Googlebots hitting the site far less frequently and the page durations for the past several days have been MUCH lower, averaging around 500ms per request for the entire day yesterday. CPU is now down to 1% utilization, down from 90+% during the peak of each wave. We've also added much better telemetry to the site so we can do a better job of monitoring it, which is a nice side benefit. We're continuing to pay close attention to it, but I am hopeful that site performance will continue to remain this stable state going forward.

Thanks again for your patience,

Bootron

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 2
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, bootron said:

So I believe we have figured out what the issue was. When we updated the website to use ssl on all pages in October, that move was the equivalent of changing every single page on the website to be a different url than before, and Google's search bots went into a frenzy working to reindex our site over the past several months. The activity of Googlebot increased slowly at first but became pretty relentless in the past month. Because it was repeatedly hitting our search page with all kinds of random combinations, it put heavy CPU pressure on our servers in waves that happened every couple minutes.

The two things that seem to have solved this problem are A) Adding some more CPU to the servers, and B ) putting noindex meta tags on pages that shouldn't be indexed like the /wm/search.aspx page. These actions have resulted in Googlebots hitting the site far less frequently and the page durations for the past several days have been MUCH lower, averaging around 500ms per request for the entire day yesterday. CPU is now down to 1% utilization, down from 90+% during the peak of each wave. We've also added much better telemetry to the site so we can do a better job of monitoring it, which is a nice side benefit. We're continuing to pay close attention to it, but I am hopeful that site performance will continue to remain this stable state going forward.

Thanks again for your patience,

Bootron

Fascinating! I actually understood a fair portion of that explanation.

Thank you!!