Waymarking.com disappeared?

elyob

I'm on!!! I'll tell you how we did it, in case it helps anyone else. :D

My husband is notoriously bad at remembering usernames and passwords. He sat down at the computer to try and troubleshoot why I couldn't get on the website. He got the username wrong. Then he got it wrong again. Then he asked me for the correct one, and it let him on.

So the solution seems to be to trick the computer into thinking it's first someone else logging on, then it'll let you. Just kidding. 

Only issue I have been having is that the site is abnormally slow, taking about 30 seconds or so to load pages. I am assuming we are all experiencing the issue. We have had something like this in the past (around the same time of year) where the site was very slow at loading. At least this time around I can actually upload photos without getting an error screen. I remember that bootron said they will work on this issue after the holidays which is great! The holidays is when I travel the most and having the site working normally will make life so much better getting through my hundreds of waymarks to submit.

1 hour ago, bluesnote said:

Only issue I have been having is that the site is abnormally slow, taking about 30 seconds or so to load pages. I am assuming we are all experiencing the issue. We have had something like this in the past (around the same time of year) where the site was very slow at loading. At least this time around I can actually upload photos without getting an error screen. I remember that bootron said they will work on this issue after the holidays which is great! The holidays is when I travel the most and having the site working normally will make life so much better getting through my hundreds of waymarks to submit.

Believe it or not I'm having no issue with loading time in any browser.

I couldn't get on the website today. At all. After hearing me complain, my husband tried and got on just fine (same browser and computer that I tried). 

So I'm working away, and notice that when I upload a photo, it doesn't show the preview on the page like I normally see (I've mentioned this before). I then look at the gallery link to confirm it did indeed upload. Now I notice that even though it appears that the photo did not upload, and even though the gallery says there are NO photos, there actually are photos.

Earls BBQ Waymark Screenshot.png

Just now, Keystone said:

I was able to access the site, log in, and decline two waymarks.  I used Firefox' most current version, so try that if available to you.

Uh oh. I hope they weren't mine. ?

I just tried again to get on Waymarking and had no trouble at all accessing the site and editing a waymark. Not on firefox, either. 

I'm using Chrome. I estimate that about 40% of my requests on Waymarking.com are delayed. I notice delays at certain recurring intervals.

I would understand the delay in some search of waymarks or uploading photos, but there is also delay in displaying an empty form for photo upload when I post a new waymark. This is a very simple page with minimal graphics.

The problem is not the browser....

At 8:50 am GMT+1 (France times) it was working perfect, i validated few waymarks.

At 8:08 am GMT+1, i have this error :

Ce site est inaccessible

La connexion a été réinitialisée.

Voici quelques conseils :

ERR_CONNECTION_RESET

At 8:16 am i still have the same error and i am unable to connect to my validating queue

at 8:19 i try to validate a waymark, it's slow but it works

at 8:27 The waymark is validated, i had the error trying to edit a photo 

at 8:31 two minutes waiting times to open a waymark to validate, but clicking on accept waymark was immediate !!!

at 8:39 20 seconds waiting times to open the waymark and 4 minutes waiting times after  clicking on accept waymark to reah my queue

at 8:40 30 seconds to validate the next waymark !!!!

at 8:44 last waymark validated

I had 12 waymarks to validate, it tooks 54 minutes, and 30 minutes to validate only 3 waymarks

That is why if you create or validate only one waymark you can be lucky and have the feeling that everything works.....

Edited by Alfouine
timeline

I am sorry to hear you are still having issues. Since our CCPA updates went out we have been experiencing some database CPU issues and continue to be working to improve performance. We are trying to determine if the issue is related to the Waymarking code update itself or if something on that data server has coincidentally started behaving weirdly. Originally we were seeing these slowdowns take place in 5 minute waves and our monitoring system was detecting them as they took place. Now, due to some of the database updates we've made, that same system is seeing the slowdowns take place much less frequently, more like 3-4 per day. We have some more things we will be trying this week to get it back to a good place, but I would be curious to hear what others are experiencing out there. For me right now the site is very fast and seems to be functioning well. But I can see from my notifications that that is not always the case. What are you all experiencing?

Bootron

I just tried the "My Waymarks" link in the "Quick Searches" area and it took around 55 seconds, before the page loaded. I checked some other things like "Full Category List", a random category of it etc, and everything loaded much faster than usual (5-7 seconds). Tried the "My Waymarks" link within the same session again and this time it took 20-25 seconds. I then added a country to the search criteria and the page loaded even faster (around 15 seconds).

I recently have not seen any big problems. Sometimes really, really annoyingly sloooow. But not always. It seems to be time related and I just was lucky.

But why?

Either there are peak hours that cannot be served with the available resources. Not good. This cannot be solved without money (for better hardware or bandwidth) and we know that Groundspeak has been quite shy when it's about spending something to Waymarking.

But maybe there are some performance eating background tasks that could be re-scheduled to when only the waymarkers in Fiji are active.

On 1/22/2020 at 9:01 PM, fi67 said:

I recently have not seen any big problems. Sometimes really, really annoyingly sloooow. But not always. It seems to be time related and I just was lucky.

As I had mentioned before, things are not bad for me, Waymarking usually in the late afternoon Central European Time. But two days ago I tried it at 3:00 AM, which is 6 PM in Seattle. That was horrible, the site was unusable, alternating between connection resets and several minutes response time.