Need to log a trackable's visit to football stadiums & also track mileage

Jack_and_Dianne

We are helping our grandson launch his first trackable .... TB8PF3Z  Merica, it's Football Time in ______!! 

Its mission to visit college football stadiums (post a pix at each stadium) in the US, and to track its mileage.  So far, to do that, requires 2-steps:  1) A "note" log and post a pix on the Trackable page; and 2)  A "visit" log to record that it visited a nearby Geocache page.  

We want to simplify the process to ideally one step for when we turn it loose into Geocache world.  Any suggestions?  

TB8PF3Z has visited other stadiums, but logging is on hold pending if a better process is identified, otherwise, will go with the above 2-step process.

We thought other cachers may have already encountered and solved this scenario.  Looking forward to ideas/thoughts.....

Took a look, and curious ...  why two steps ?  Why the Write Note ? 

- I may be wrong, but I don't believe most will log a Write Note each time they "Visit" a cache, or in-between drop n Retrieve..

You can post a pic with a Visit log.  Visit logs accrue mileage... 

Realize that Visit logs won't give notifications, so your grandson will have to check once-in-a-while.   :)

Also, once it's released and humans are involved, it's possible that none of your goals will be met.

• Helpful 1
6 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

You can post a pic with a Visit log.  Visit logs accrue mileage... 

I agree with cerberus1 on this - log a visit on the cache when you find a cache near those football stadiums; then add the photo to the visit log.  No need for two separate logs.  

Not everyone will follow the directions; be happy for those that do!  I try to take photos and post them to the TB page with my Visit logs, but I don't always remember, or it's just not a cache that seems to justify the effort to take and post the photo.  Scenic overlooks, or caches that are related to the TB's mission, yeah, I'll make the effort to include a nice photo on my visit log.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1

Sorry for the delay in responding ... just now getting back to work on this.  The goal is to track the miles traveled, and proof of visit with selfie of TB with Football Stadium in background viewable on the Trackable's home page. 

Thanks so much for the feedback.  I have carefully reviewed and tested the suggestion of adding the photo to the Cache's visit log.  Although this saves the Write Note log and achieves the miles traveled goal, it requires going to the Visit log and searching for the proof of visit photo as opposed to seeing the photos on the Trackable home page.  

As for loosing control after we release the trackable, we plan to hold on to it for the foreseeable future and hopefully establish some precedents before dealing with that issue.  The tag suggestion is intriguing, I am still trying to determine how best to do it.  

So, to achieve the goal, while we retain control looks like we are stuck with the 2-log method.  Should you wish to see it, checkout TB8PF3Z .

18 minutes ago, Jack_and_Dianne said:

Sorry for the delay in responding ... just now getting back to work on this.  The goal is to track the miles traveled, and proof of visit with selfie of TB with Football Stadium in background viewable on the Trackable's home page. 

Thanks so much for the feedback.  I have carefully reviewed and tested the suggestion of adding the photo to the Cache's visit log.  Although this saves the Write Note log and achieves the miles traveled goal, it requires going to the Visit log and searching for the proof of visit photo as opposed to seeing the photos on the Trackable home page.  

As for loosing control after we release the trackable, we plan to hold on to it for the foreseeable future and hopefully establish some precedents before dealing with that issue.  The tag suggestion is intriguing, I am still trying to determine how best to do it.  

So, to achieve the goal, while we retain control looks like we are stuck with the 2-log method.  Should you wish to see it, checkout TB8PF3Z .

How fun!

4 hours ago, Jack_and_Dianne said:

The tag suggestion is intriguing, I am still trying to determine how best to do it. 

One option is the old "print a bit of paper and laminate it". That's been around for a while - if you go this option, I suggest leaving space around the paper itself so that when you punch a hole in it, you only go through the laminate. If you punch a hole through the laminate and the paper, then moisture and dirt can get in to the paper and start attacking it.

INTIMIDAT3R in this thread posted a Trackable that he added a tag on made with Shrinky Dink. It has the advantages of being easy and relatively rugged, though other people have suggested that it'll fail out in the wild. I haven't encountered a Shrinky Dink tag myself but I'd like to try it out.

The popular suggestion is engraved aluminium - strong and durable, you can either get a tag professionally laser engraved (prices vary, depending on where you are) or you could DIY something like this tutorial or this other method. The tricky part is getting the level of detail you need for small writing. I've ordered some photoresist dry film to use this method to try and get the level of detail I want - though it hasn't arrived yet so I don't know how good the result would be on aluminium.

12 hours ago, Jack_and_Dianne said:

As for loosing control after we release the trackable, we plan to hold on to it for the foreseeable future and hopefully establish some precedents before dealing with that issue.  

I feel that this is something you shouldn't even consider.  :)   Hold onto it and visit, like you're doing now.  Happy.

Whatever you deem a good example or guide, will rarely at best be considered by others.  It's simply human nature.

In fact, one hoarder we're aware of held onto many because they couldn't follow the directions as required by TOs, and pitched it to the side "JIC" they had the opportunity...which was never.    ;)

10 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

I agree with this. 

OP: I think what you're doing with this TB is great! The photos are wonderful! But holding on to it for the foreseeable future is not something I would agree with. 

Apparently I worded something incorrectly, even though I did bold a section my reply was to.  :)

I feel they should hold onto it, as their "establishing precedents" to release it doesn't have human nature factored in.