Search for Caches by Attribute

Jimrky

I'm not a newbie but I don't utilize much of the tools for caching - most never. I am trying to find Night Caches in a given area for a member of our local Geocaching group who wants to have an Event for finding night caches next month.

Since it's not a "type" of cache I know it used to be possible to search by Attribute. Is this still possible and, if so, how? I can't seem to find that in the new, streamlined, whicketty-fast "Search". Perhaps I'm just stupid?

Thanks for all replies (not necessarily as to whether I'm stupid).

JimRKY

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, Jimrky said:

I'm not a newbie but I don't utilize much of the tools for caching - most never. I am trying to find Night Caches in a given area for a member of our local Geocaching group who wants to have an Event for finding night caches next month.

Since it's not a "type" of cache I know it used to be possible to search by Attribute. Is this still possible and, if so, how? I can't seem to find that in the new, streamlined, whicketty-fast "Search". Perhaps I'm just stupid?

Thanks for all replies (not necessarily as to whether I'm stupid).

JimRKY

A pocket query will allow you to search for caches with a certain attribute.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1

Once you find a night cache in your area, the easiest way to find more night caches in your area is often to check the one you found to see what bookmark lists it's on. Some lists may be more generic, but if you find a list of night caches, then you can use that list to find more night caches in your area.

8 hours ago, Jimrky said:

I am trying to find Night Caches in a given area for a member of our local Geocaching group who wants to have an Event for finding night caches next month.

I think it's worth mentioning that there's a clause in the guidelines regarding this aspect:

An Event Cache

• Cannot be set up for the sole purpose of finding geocaches

Based on past experience, this clause applies as follows:

• If the attendees would meet up at the specified time and then immediately head off to look for the caches, then that wouldn't be allowed.
  • If the attendees would show up at the specified time for a meet-and-greet event, and only head off to look for the caches after the event has ended, then that's fine.

I've attended and hosted events using the format of the second example. We had an event at a coffee shop that was otherwise indistinguishable from any other event, but it gave details about a planned hike and which caches were targeted, and then those who were interested went on a hike to find some caches.

The main thing is that the event needs to be attendable even for those who aren't interested in finding the night cache. They shouldn't show up during the allotted period and find that the CO and everyone has already taken off to find night caches.

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1
  • Love 1
On 12/12/2019 at 6:17 PM, The A-Team said:

I think it's worth mentioning that there's a clause in the guidelines regarding this aspect:

Based on past experience, this clause applies as follows:

• If the attendees would meet up at the specified time and then immediately head off to look for the caches, then that wouldn't be allowed.
  • If the attendees would show up at the specified time for a meet-and-greet event, and only head off to look for the caches after the event has ended, then that's fine.

I've attended and hosted events using the format of the second example. We had an event at a coffee shop that was otherwise indistinguishable from any other event, but it gave details about a planned hike and which caches were targeted, and then those who were interested went on a hike to find some caches.

The main thing is that the event needs to be attendable even for those who aren't interested in finding the night cache. They shouldn't show up during the allotted period and find that the CO and everyone has already taken off to find night caches.

Yeah, we had realized the above. We're looking at having a Meet & Eat followed by "non-compulsory" caching. There are ways to placate the 'Guidelines Any Decision Regading Which Are Not Enforceable On Any Other Cache' lol.

• Funny 1

Quick side-tip:

If you're into FTFs, you can bookmark a map of all unfound caches for quick access on the fly (say while traveling)

Create a PQ searching for Unfound caches in some region setup.

Preview results.

Map this location

-> Bookmark this url. No need to generate the PQ. That URL loads the PQ preview results onto the [browse] map. I have that page open in my mobile browser; you can refresh either by refreshing the page, or simply by tapping the Pocket Query tab on the map and select the PQ item again.

If you're into FTFs. =P

On 12/16/2019 at 10:35 AM, thebruce0 said:

Quick side-tip:

If you're into FTFs, you can bookmark a map of all unfound caches for quick access on the fly (say while traveling)

Preview results.

Map this location

-> Bookmark this url. No need to generate the PQ. That URL loads the PQ preview results onto the [browse] map. I have that page open in my mobile browser; you can refresh either by refreshing the page, or simply by tapping the Pocket Query tab on the map and select the PQ item again.

If you're into FTFs. =P

This is good to know when traveling. FTFs are fun and challenging especially when there are many in my area who are diehard FTF cachers!

On 12/17/2019 at 2:35 AM, thebruce0 said:

Quick side-tip:

Preview results.

Map this location

If you're into FTFs. =P

Out of curiosity, I just tried that, searching for unfound enabled non-event caches in my entire state (New South Wales, Australia). There are only ten of them, most in pretty remote places, some of which may be cut off now by the fires that have been ravaging the entire east coast for the last couple of months.

image.png.d37a196649965ac6011f08df22b89bec.png

Edited by barefootjeff