2020 Geocaching HQ souvenir moments

Max and 99

Ah, more "moments". :laughing:

Most of those are to be expected, since they happen every year (or every 4 years for Leap Day). I'm not surprised about the Blue Switch Day one, since it makes sense to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the removal of Selective Availability.

I'm glad to see that we'll continue to see more country souvenirs. It would be nice to see a faster pace so we can finally get souvenirs for all of them, but at least we keep getting more.

On ‎1‎/‎22‎/‎2020 at 10:15 AM, CaracalShan said:

A new regional souvenir was released today, for the Aland Islands. That's quite unexpected :-)

We were told to expect a new souvenir last week (the 3rd Wednesday of the month), but that didn't happen. Instead, we got it on the 4th Wednesday.

It's nice to see souvenirs for some of the less-visited regions. Being more rare, they're arguably "worth" more.

Announced!  

Leap Day 2020

Imagine if there was an extra day in the year for geocaching. Well, this year there is! Start planning your outings to get your Leap Day 2020 digital souvenir by finding a cache, Adventure Lab*, or attending an Event on Saturday, February 29th.

Leap Day only comes once every 4 years, so it is fitting to save this day for caches that are hard to come by or difficult to find. Take advantage of your Leap Day by avenging a difficult DNF or cracking the code for a tough Mystery cache.

We can’t wait to hear all about your Events and outings on this special day!

44 minutes ago, funkymunkyzone said:

Haven't read the whole thread, but wondering if there has been any talk/rumours of extending the first CITO season for this year since many if us are now in lockdown with CITO events cancelled or unable to be published during this time.

That's a good question! I bet they will extend it.

7 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

I didn't see that message in today's email! Thanks for posting that.

Logbook email:

HQ Happenings

In response to COVID-19, Geocaching HQ is extending the dates for certain activities. HQ will monitor changes over the next few months to see if further adjustments are needed. 
  • Adventure Labs: The deadline for creators to make their Adventure Labs go public has been extended to August 31, 2020
  • Virtual Rewards 2.0: The deadline for all unpublished Virtual Rewards 2.0 Caches to be submitted for publication has been extended to December 31, 2020
  • Cache In Trash Out® Season 1: CITO Season 1 has been extended through August 31, 2020
5 hours ago, Bear and Ragged said:

Logbook email:

HQ Happenings

In response to COVID-19, Geocaching HQ is extending the dates for certain activities. HQ will monitor changes over the next few months to see if further adjustments are needed. 
  • Adventure Labs: The deadline for creators to make their Adventure Labs go public has been extended to August 31, 2020
  • Virtual Rewards 2.0: The deadline for all unpublished Virtual Rewards 2.0 Caches to be submitted for publication has been extended to December 31, 2020
  • Cache In Trash Out® Season 1: CITO Season 1 has been extended through August 31, 2020

Thanks, I don't know why it was so hard for me to locate!

June 1 is the new start date for the Memory Lane souvenir. This seems to be a long-term promotion.

Memory Lane

New dates: June 1, 2020 to January 3, 2021

We have moved our Memory Lane souvenir challenge from a start date of Monday, April 6 to Monday, June 1. We will continue to monitor the guidance for COVID-19, as well as community feedback as we get closer to June. Our goal is to have a promotion that is both fun and safe. As such, we will continue to make any adjustments as needed so that the promotion is as inclusive as possible.

13 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

June 1 is the new start date for the Memory Lane souvenir. This seems to be a long-term promotion.

Memory Lane

New dates: June 1, 2020 to January 3, 2021

We have moved our Memory Lane souvenir challenge from a start date of Monday, April 6 to Monday, June 1. We will continue to monitor the guidance for COVID-19, as well as community feedback as we get closer to June. Our goal is to have a promotion that is both fun and safe. As such, we will continue to make any adjustments as needed so that the promotion is as inclusive as possible.

7 months promotion it's a new record. I wonder what will be required this time.

4 hours ago, terratin said:

Does anyone know what happened with the monthly country souvenirs? Cancelled? Not planned to have more released?

Good question but I hope not they still have 10 yrs worth of souvenirs at the pre-pandemic current pace.

• Upvote 1

Yesterday was the third Wednesday of April, and again - just as in March - no new country souvenir?

Edit: Apparently there have been new souvenirs for Cambodia and the Dominican Republic. I must have missed the communication around them then... Great to see new country-souvenirs being released!

Edited by CaracalShan
8 minutes ago, Lynx Humble said:

Hum Earth day is October 10th and 11th

The next souvenir planned is May 2nd for Blue Switch Day

I deleted it when I realized I made the mistake in assuming they were talking about the souvenir.

Earth Day is digital. It had nothing to do with a souvenir. So I deleted the post.

Edited by Max and 99

International Geocaching Day 2020

Every third Saturday in August we celebrate International Geocaching Day! Have you marked your calendar and planned a cache outing yet? By logging any cache type on August 15 or 16, you can earn the International Geocaching Day 2020 souvenir. Happy IGD 2020!

On 8/5/2020 at 3:37 AM, terratin said:

I would really like to see more country souvenirs again. Sure, travelling is a problem at the moment but I doubt a souvenir makes anyone think: oh a Surinam souvenir! Lets book a flight right now.

And since all country souvenirs are retroactive, the few geocachers that have previously found a geocache in Suriname would get one.  I wouldn't mind getting a souvenir for my finds in Tanzania, Kenya, Ethiopia, and Zimbabwe.

International EarthCache Day 2020 Souvenir

New Souvenir: International EarthCache Day 2020!

How do you best prepare for an EarthCache outing? You planet!

Learn more about Earth and how it formed through history on Saturday, October 10 and Sunday, October 11, 2020 in celebration of International EarthCache day! Earn the official  souvenir for completing your research and receiving your smiley. 

A whole weekend dedicated to conducting experiments live in the field, making observations and hypotheses, or learning about what once existed. Whether it’s dinosaur footprints, the rock face of a mountain, or the Grand Canyon all non-Premium EarthCaches will be available in the Geocaching® app.

• Helpful 2
2 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

International EarthCache Day 2020 Souvenir

New Souvenir: International EarthCache Day 2020!

How do you best prepare for an EarthCache outing? You planet!

Learn more about Earth and how it formed through history on Saturday, October 10 and Sunday, October 11, 2020 in celebration of International EarthCache day! Earn the official  souvenir for completing your research and receiving your smiley. 

A whole weekend dedicated to conducting experiments live in the field, making observations and hypotheses, or learning about what once existed. Whether it’s dinosaur footprints, the rock face of a mountain, or the Grand Canyon all non-Premium EarthCaches will be available in the Geocaching® app.

Gosh, you're fast!

*sigh* so I guess I might log yet another groundwater meter or something similar rubbish

Oh well...

• Funny 1