Minimum Distance Requirements

mike-miss

Im in the process of setting up an adventure lab and need the distances clarified. The lab builder states "There are no minimum distance requirements between Adventure locations and geocaches." So if i were to place something at one of my adventure lab locations, does that mean i can be well within the 161m / 528ft from the nearest geocache or not? I would then safely assume the bonus cache placement meets the standard 161m / 528ft requirements.

On 12/10/2019 at 4:19 PM, K13 said:

What are you placing? Every Adventure I've done has nothing but the question(s) to answer in that Adventure (non-geocaching) App at each location.

I like to push the boundaries of all my caches. Instead of having a specific question to answer at each of the five locations, i plan to hide the "codeword" at each location. Each finder will then have to find the codeword and enter that word into the app to move on to the next stage. Kind of like a multi but word based. The words will then be used again in a certain way at the bonus cache i plan on hiding in order to open and sign the logbook. A field puzzle style adventure lab.

What i want to know then if this is ok to do an adventure lab in this fashion? And what are the rules/guidelines around distance between each lab location and other active geocaches in the area? I cant seem to find any information around this, probably because its not the intended way of doing a typical lab but to me thats what keeps the game interesting.

OK, I think I understand.  You are using the Adventure Lab as a Multi cache.  Instead of "Go to location and answer question from something there" at each part of the Adventure,  you are expecting people to go to each location in a progressive order and find a codeword tag that you placed there. Each stage gives them a Smiley, and then if your Final box isn't one of the points in your Adventure, they will get nothing for that find.

This sounds like a question for Support.

There will be 5 adventure locations + bonus cache at the end so 6 smileys. I will contact support and see what they have to say. After reading and re reading through the adventure lab inspiration tips it would seem i would adhere to all their guidelines. Page 2 of the lab builder guide titles "Physical Placements" so i can't see any visible reasoning as to why you can't do it in my intended way.

• Choose a location that has strong cell phone coverage. This is essential for the app to work!
  • Set up your series so all locations can be visited within 8 hours, ideally walkable.
  • Have a theme or tell a story (historical or fictional) with your location series.
  • Set up a puzzle or interactive piece that can be solved at the locations. 
  • Create a “find code” that can only be determined by visiting the location (not available on the internet).
  • Pro tip: Place a Mystery Cache as a bonus cache for completing your Adventure. (Bonus caches must be accessible for at least three months).

Page 4 of the adventure lab builder guide states "Locations can contain a physical container with a code word or a virtual location where you have to figure out the code word by observing the area around you." So that just leaves the unanswered question regarding minimum distance requirements between something physically placed at an an adventure lab location and an existing geocache. I would assume its the 161m / 528ft rule.

14 hours ago, mike-miss said:

I would assume its the 161m / 528ft rule.

This assumption is correct.

One of my 5 locations is "physical". I had to create a dummy geocache listing of type "Multi", populate it only with the locations of my physical Adventure Labs (in may case, only one), and ask a reviewer to do a location check on this listing. When this was done, the reviewer told me that I can now archive the dummy listing, because it's no longer needed. I didn't do that, though, to keep my physical Adventure Lab waypoint "known" in the database. Otherwise, someone might unknowingly put a real geocache right at the same spot.

On 12/13/2019 at 2:23 AM, baer2006 said:

This assumption is correct.

One of my 5 locations is "physical". I had to create a dummy geocache listing of type "Multi", populate it only with the locations of my physical Adventure Labs (in may case, only one), and ask a reviewer to do a location check on this listing. When this was done, the reviewer told me that I can now archive the dummy listing, because it's no longer needed. I didn't do that, though, to keep my physical Adventure Lab waypoint "known" in the database. Otherwise, someone might unknowingly put a real geocache right at the same spot.

If you have a bonus cache for your AL, you could just add the AL waypoints to it and set them to physical, which takes care of the proximity issues.

Another reason for adding the waypoints to the bonus is that it lets the finders know where they would be going outside the AL app. I did it this way for my AL (except as virtuals), as I was trying to make it tourist-friendly.

I wish it was more common to do it this way. There are four ALs in central Sydney and I've only got one day for cache hunting, so it would be nice to be able to easily see where all the waypoints are and for which AL without swapping between them in the app (and my gc app of choice for the other caches). (Although only one of them is a visit in any order, with the others being point-to-point).