Throwdown Etiquette

5 hours ago, barefootjeff said:

I'm just wondering when a cache is "obviously missing".

Yep. I can think of a number of caches that were especially difficult because they were hidden near "obvious" hiding spots (LPC, FPC, GRC, etc.), but did not actually use those "obvious" hiding spots. A throwdown in the "obvious" hiding spots would have ruined them.

2 minutes ago, HunterandSamuel said:

I write DNFs so I know what caches I already searched for. I also follow the DNF cache to see if others have found it and then do another search. Another question...is contacting the CO for another hint on a cache considered a geonono too?

There's nothing wrong with contacting the CO to ask for another hint.

Demanding another hint or getting in a snit if the CO doesn't offer another hint, on the other hand...

• Upvote 2
Just now, niraD said:

There's nothing wrong with contacting the CO to ask for another hint.

Demanding another hint or getting in a snit if the CO doesn't offer another hint, on the other hand...

Thanks. When we are caching out of State and looking for over half an hour, I hate leaving because it'll be awhile until our next trip to that State. Most OCs respond immediately, some never do.

5 hours ago, barefootjeff said:

A few times I've thought one of my own caches was missing, and was about to log a TD, when I discovered it had been cleverly concealed in a slightly different place to where I'd put it.

After numerous DNF on an ammo can hide, the other 2/3rds drug me along. 

Guess no one noticed the size "not chosen", and I was signing the log on that mini ammo can in a couple minutes.  :D

We've noticed more-than-a-few who believe if they didn't find it, it's "obviously missing"...

Did you ever hear someone say "hide it better than you found it " ?   Ridiculous thing to say. Changes it's "D" with each new finder.

-  And if every person looking for that cache hid it better than they found it, eventually no one will find it.    ;)

54 minutes ago, HunterandSamuel said:

Thanks. When we are caching out of State and looking for over half an hour, I hate leaving because it'll be awhile until our next trip to that State. Most OCs respond immediately, some never do.

Yep, you'll quickly learn that you don't have to find every cache.

It's just MUCH harder if you're trying to qualify for a challenge with rare qualifying targets =P

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, arisoft said:

I love too! Currently I have posted  847 DNFs. In Finland, there are only three geocachers with more DNFs than me. B)

Dammit, that site don't register foreign DNF or I would be pretty high up with my 672 DNF-logs. :o

I'm also bit annoyed that if I fail to find any caches, that apparently doesn't count as "caching day" at GCcom. 

• Funny 1
6 hours ago, barefootjeff said:

Obvious as in D1 + regular size  container + hint "hollow tree stub". Suspiciously empty cable binder. Pieces of log book and swag lying on the ground. Of course you can never be sure that the cache isn't ridiculously misplaced.

Counterpoint: I once found a cache ( GC15YAE) with the above attributes that was archived 7 years before after a couple DNFs (maybe deleted later).

How they failed to find it is beyond belief, but at least they didn't toss in a throwdown. Instead, NA.

10 hours ago, papu66 said:

I can remember 4-5 cases where I have found two cache containers. I tend to stop searching after I have found one, so you'd think duplicate caches must be way more common than this. Who knows how many other times I have logged a throwdown.

Interestingly, in those instances the second cache was sometimes placed by the CO who presumably couldn't find his own cache or assumed it's missing because of a couple of DNFs.

Finding two containers at GZ happens more often than I would expect.  My husband and I geocache together, most of the time, and often have another friend or two along.  Like most people, I would assume, we tend to stop looking when someone calls out "Got it!".  But there are numerous occasions where two of us will call out at the same time!  Two containers.  Multiple signatures on both logshseets.  We'll typically place all logs in the best of the two containers, if there is room, and remove the second to toss or re-use as appropriate.  Sometimes you can figure out who did the throwdown, sometimes not.  Some admit it in their logs!  It's rewarding when someone placed a throwdown, and we come in and find the original - that's happened a few times too!

As a CO, I almost placed a throwdown on my own cache - it was reported missing; I made a visit and couldn't find it either, so I came back with a new container.  When I went to place it, my original container was in the way - right where I had placed it.  I'm not sure how I missed it, but it seems to have been there all along.  I felt silly, but logged the OM and re-enable after I had disabled it, thinking it was missing!!  I probably could have just deleted it all, but I left it because that's what happened, and it may tell future seekers that the camo is really good, if the CO couldn't see it on a return visit!!

11 hours ago, papu66 said:

I can remember 4-5 cases where I have found two cache containers.

I tend to stop searching after I have found one, so you'd think duplicate caches must be way more common than this.

We're around quite a few, but most we've found to be older Letterboxes when looking inside. 

Darn if there aren't caching sigs that don't match up with the geocache right by it.  Found one, and good-enough...   :)

If I happen to notice a log that says so, I'll take my stamp n ink JIC there's still a letterbox nearby at that popular spot.

Odd that the plastic letterbox containers often seem to be in better shape. 

- No mention of container condition in many logs these days.  If no OMs and really noticeable difference,  one of us might mail the CO.

4 hours ago, HunterandSamuel said:

I write DNFs so I know what caches I already searched for. I also follow the DNF cache to see if others have found it and then do another search. Another question...is contacting the CO for another hint on a cache considered a geonono too?

I wouldn't think so.   I DNFd the first cache I sought (12 years ago).  That evening I got a PM from the CO asking if I wanted a hint and that the cache has occasionally gone missing.  After explaining where I had searched he said "it's missing...go ahead and log it as a find".  I waited until he replaced it then went back an found it, but it was the reaching out by one geocacher to another that sucked me into the game.  

I have found it interesting how some people view logging as something that they do primarily for their own benefit while others see logging as something that also (and perhaps more so) benefits the cache owner and other potential finders.  

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, papu66 said:

Obvious as in D1 + regular size  container + hint "hollow tree stub". Suspiciously empty cable binder. Pieces of log book and swag lying on the ground. Of course you can never be sure that the cache isn't ridiculously misplaced.

A couple of years back I DNFed a cache. At GZ I saw this suspicious cable tie which was about the right size to have once held something against the branch.

297a0eb0-0efe-4a5b-9dc0-51282bef145d_l.j

I posted that photo with my DNF log but the CO messaged me to say it wasn't part of his cache. When he checked, of course, the cache was still sitting snugly in its elusive hiding place.

If there are pieces of the cache scattered about on the ground that can be positively identified, such as the logbook, then it isn't missing, it's just damaged, so an NM is called for. If the cache is too badly damaged to put back together into a reasonable state on the spot, I'll collect it all up, take it home and notify the CO to let them decide what they want done with it.

I had the same situation with one of mine. Added extra hints as WNs.

BTW. I've never had a throwdown on any of my DNF'd caches, ever. They are very rare around here.

There's a familiar avatar among the DNFs.

colleda

prem_user.gifPremium Member

Profile photo for colleda

2.png3667

Owner MaintenanceOwner Maintenance

27/12/2017

Checked on cache today. All good. Double checked coordinates with Garmin, no change. The nearest tree is 7m away from cache and the zip tie in the tree is not related, ignore it. Trust GPS and use the hint. Google shroud if not sure what it means.

colleda

2.png3667

Write noteWrite note

26/12/2017

It's not in, on or near trees.

Profile photo for ChocoholicTrekkers

2.png729

Didn't find itDidn't find it

25/12/2017

Couldn't find it today

Profile photo for runner5ive

2.png771

25/12/2017

Not sure if that was supposed to be where it was, but there was a cable tie on a tree attached to nothing ?

colleda

2.png3667

Owner MaintenanceOwner Maintenance

05/10/2017

Due to a few DNFs we checked this one today and it is still there although dry leaf litter had covered it a bit. A hint for those looking back through logs and tempted to search among all the rocks, don't, its not there.

Profile photo for Agogo

2.png2981

04/10/2017

Worker nearby so had a short look but not found. Don't like poking around too much in case I disturb the wildlife

Profile photo for ACachualAffair

2.png1187

26/09/2017

DNF for us here today. Thought we knew what we were looking for but then got distracted by a cable tie in a tree about five meters from where our GPS was showing. So if it was in the tree it doesn't appear to be there. If it wasn't we will come back to play another day

Profile photo for barefootjeff

2.png1091

18/09/2017

Just when I was starting to get my confidence up, this one defeated me. Too many possible hiding places I think and the hint didn't help reveal anything. Oh well.

29 minutes ago, HunterandSamuel said:

I replaced a lost capsule cache that was hanging in a tree for a geocache friend today on our bike path. He got several DNFs so we checked it out and sure enough...it was missing. We logged a "found" over a year ago so this one is called..."helping others before the reviewer gets there  first". LOL

I think a real friend would offer to Adopt the Listing. When/if your friend was able to get back into the game and adequately maintain their caches, you could always Adopt the Listings back to them. 

• Upvote 4
  • Helpful 1
4 minutes ago, Touchstone said:

I think a real friend would offer to Adopt the Listing. When/if your friend was able to get back into the game and adequately maintain their caches, you could always Adopt the Listings back to them. 

I have enough hides to maintain. I refuse to adopt a cache. What I have requested from a CO is to archive it and then I'll plant a cache in the same spot or near it so geocachers in my area have a new cache to log.

• Upvote 1