How do I...

medic161

On 12/7/2019 at 5:42 PM, medic161 said:

Been away from caching for several yrs.  Here is my problem.

I used to use gsak to download my caches onto my Garmin 60Cx.

I no longer have a PC we now have a chromebook.

Seems chromebook doesnt support gsak.

what can i use.

I've got a caching friend that runs GSAK on a Chromebook using an app called Crossover, I believe he said it was free.

On ‎12‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 6:42 PM, medic161 said:

Been away from caching for several yrs.  Here is my problem.

I used to use gsak to download my caches onto my Garmin 60Cx.

27 minutes ago, medic161 said:

So does this mean i cant download onto my gps?

Im old tech and dont want to use my phone

which by the way is a Samsung galaxys7 active.

Maybe it seems odd, since you used to load caches easily with your long-discontinued GPSr,  but did you ever think of loading manually ?

I've loaded caches manually since starting, and still use a 60csx.  Just need a small notepad for hints, DT and stuff...

It now takes me about a minute to load coordinates and cache name.   I use my phone for calls.    :)

48 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

Maybe it seems odd, since you used to load caches easily with your long-discontinued GPSr,  but did you ever think of loading manually ?

I've loaded caches manually since starting, and still use a 60csx.  Just need a small notepad for hints, DT and stuff...

It now takes me about a minute to load coordinates and cache name.   

I am really good at that! 

On 12/10/2019 at 6:39 PM, cerberus1 said:

IIRC, Easygps might be an option too... 

It seems to still work with 60 series.  I'd read the tutorials and see if you're comfortable with that workaround.

I'm not surprised.  My first gps was a Garmin 76Cx, which is essentially the same as the 60 series but different packaging.  I actually downloaded a copy of EasyGPS before I got the GPS receiver and even upgraded to ExpertGPS.

I think you can just download the pocket query .zip to your Chromebook, use its utility to unzip, you'll have a waypoints.gpx file and a geocaches.gpx file. Direct load those to the gps from the Chromebook. Some of the Garmin units will handle the zip file directly, but I'd guess not that one.  Though you could try it. No harm.

Of course, this doesn't offer any of the filtering options of GSAK. I generally load from GSAK, using its filtering to dump caches that don't look healthy or interesting.