Share photos of your geocache hides.

I was wondering if we can share some of our cache hides to give other cachers some ideas? This is one of our first geocache hides titled "Please Keep Off the Grass!" The cache, a survivor lock n lock with lots of new swag, is hidden under fake grass in a quaint park. 

cacheideas1.jpg

cacheideas2.JPG

Edited by HunterandSamuel
made a mistake in the title of my cache!
  • Love 1

Our Halloween Season cache is a large cauldron (purchased at Party City) filled with black wet water beads (Amazon),  spiders, roaches, squishy eyeballs, etc, and a scary rat cache with log. We received many compliments and favorite points!  With the cold weather here, the water beads froze so we filled the cauldron with realistic rubber worms until summer time. Cachers have to stick their hand in deep to find the rat cache. lol The cache is hidden off a bike path at the base of a tree. Permission was given by the Department of Public Works supervisor. He loved the idea! 

cauldren1.jpg

cauldren2.jpg

cauldron3.jpg

worms.JPG

This is another fun cache of ours that got favorites. We call it "grass head" as a joke. It's a large plastic vitamin bottle camouflage with camo duct tape and fake grass hot gun glued to the top of the lid. We also cut out a round piece of rubber to fit inside the lid to seal and keep out moisture because it was hidden in the dirt with only the grass lid showing. Large enough for swag, log, and pencil. We first placed another larger vitamin bottle (after cutting off the top) in the dirt and then placed grass head in that to help keep it clean. Worked great! 

grasshead.JPG

3 hours ago, HunterandSamuel said:

Our Halloween Season cache is a large cauldron (purchased at Party City) filled with black wet water beads (Amazon),  spiders, roaches, squishy eyeballs, etc, and a scary rat cache with log. We received many compliments and favorite points!  With the cold weather here, the water beads froze so we filled the cauldron with realistic rubber worms until summer time. Cachers have to stick their hand in deep to find the rat cache. lol The cache is hidden off a bike path at the base of a tree. Permission was given by the Department of Public Works supervisor. He loved the idea! 

cauldren1.jpg

cauldren2.jpg

Does one reach into that to find the cache? I once came upon a cache which was a jar full of slime, and the finder needed to reach into that and feel around for the cache :wacko:.

Edited by Goldenwattle

Great looking caches. It's nice seeing other people's thought out caches. Although I have shown some of my caches before, here are some again. The train coming out of a tunnel is next to a real railway line. (Sadly the rail line has gone missing/been stolen :(.) The log is in a bison tube in the chimney. The garbage bin was put in a waste disposal area among big bins. The treasure chest is in a road guard. There are also spiders hanging on thread here and stuck to the sides. A guard cache doesn't need to be boring. The large spider is attached under that boulder. I did not put the cross there; it was there already. (X marks the spot!)

Fyshwick Choo Choo.jpg

Garbage bin cache.jpg

Spider chest 2.jpg

Spider chest.jpg

Red Hill cache.jpg

Spider hide.jpg

• Funny 1
12 hours ago, Harry Dolphin said:

But, doesn't that violate guidelines?  Burying it in the dirt?

The cool thing is a post hole was already there behind the post it was for (on a bike path). We just inserted the cache into it. It does get dirty after a rainfall but we keep it maintained and clean and brush off the grass hair, fluff it up. 

12 hours ago, Goldenwattle said:

Does one reach into that to find the cache? I once came upon a cache which was a jar full of slime, and the finder needed to reach into that and feel around for the cache :wacko:.

Yes! Cachers have to reach in deep to feel around for the cache & log! That's the neat thing about this cache...the black beads look innocent enough until you reach in. They feel squishy and wet! Totally unexpected! Plus it's also filled with scary insects that you can feel with your fingers. LOL

12 hours ago, Goldenwattle said:

Great looking caches. It's nice seeing other people's thought out caches. Although I have shown some of my caches before, here are some again. The train coming out of a tunnel is next to a real railway line. (Sadly the rail line has gone missing/been stolen :(.) The log is in a bison tube in the chimney. The garbage bin was put in a waste disposal area among big bins. The treasure chest is in a road guard. There are also spiders hanging on thread here and stuck to the sides. A guard cache doesn't need to be boring. The large spider is attached under that boulder. I did not put the cross there; it was there already. (X marks the spot!)

Fyshwick Choo Choo.jpg

Garbage bin cache.jpg

Spider chest 2.jpg

Spider chest.jpg

Red Hill cache.jpg

Spider hide.jpg

I replied to this but it didn't show up. I think I forgot to hit submit. I love your caches!  Especially the spider. To reach in and feel around is eek exciting!  The train with it's chimney being the capsule cache is so neat! We also have a spider hotel guard rail cache. Inside the lid is a real looking spider hanging on clear fishing wire. It moves when you open the cache (a camo lock n lock). Scares even me when adding more swag and TBs! 

We make sure to make all our caches winter friendly (except for the guard rail & light poles where snow is plowed over them). After each snow fall we venture out and uncover the cache hides. Our snowprints make a geopath to the caches. The neat thing about the bike trail is the town plows it to keep it open throughout the winter. We walk on it daily for exercise and to maintain the caches. Geocaching has become a healthy activity for my husband and me in our retirement! 

3 hours ago, HunterandSamuel said:

This is so original!!!!! Is it a library where cachers can also donate books? Is that what LFL stands for? 

LFL stands for Little Free Library. It's another organisation. You can check it out on the net. The library is for anyone to take and leave books. I leave a lot of Bookcrossing books in it. Bookcrossing can also be found on the net.

7 hours ago, barefootjeff said:

This is a montage of some of my themed hides which I posted earlier in the year during the Cache Carnival promotion:

ContainerMontage.jpg.2ac4d8ad59486c836a3f02795513a05d.jpg

I see missing from this are my spiders so here's one of those:

image.png.44716f08941d5be4a99bd3963fa0dbb0.png

My most recent hide, the Nemophilist Challenge, uses the quintessential haunter of the woods for its container:

ContainerSmall.jpg.220401ac7ec2af3cc237f06e5e3a1ba9.jpg

That one of course lives inside a cave.

These are great! I especially love Nemophilist Challenge!

6 hours ago, Rhoeny said:

Nice caches. If you need some Inspiration it's good. But it containers some spoilers for geocachers. You can share your caches, but it's easier for other cachers to find the box.

For my caches, the challenge is usually getting to GZ, not finding something well concealed when you get there. Unless it's in a high muggle area, I try to make my "hides" as obvious as possible because sometimes an extended search can take someone into dangerous territory, like going down off a cliff to a narrow ledge when the cache is actually on top a few metres back from the edge, or where extensive searching might damage the environment.

In the case of GC9M6X5 that I just recently posted above, the chance of anyone reading the forum and recognising the location is pretty remote and the crevice only becomes visible when you reach GZ. Once there, it's the only place that matches the hint, and the cache description is all about searching for a bushranger's plunder so the fact that the container is a cash box full of plastic gold coins and gems should come as no surprise. The whole point of the cache isn't the container, it's exploring the interesting features of the area on the way to getting there and the physical challenge of reaching them.

Edited by barefootjeff