When making a Geocache to hide, do I have to print out an official logbook or can I just use a custom one?

BarrickBebb

2 hours ago, BarrickBebb said:

In all of the Geocaches I've found, official Geocaching logbooks were in them, but I can't find a place to print one. Can I just make a custom one and use that instead?

Yes, as long as its something finders can write in, is big enough to cope with the likely number of finders and fits within the container, anything goes and you can be as creative as you like. I've used a mixture of hard-cover notebooks, spiral-bound notepads, or sometimes something homemade like this one in a cache themed on the Australian Federation which uses a print-out of the Constitution with the log as the list of signatories following the Oath (which I replaced with the Geocachers' Creed):

DSC_0032.jpg.62574255e383c5e404f08a492c67f9a8.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 3

Make your own if you'd like.  There's no "rules" on what you use.  One here uses his old memo pads from an old company.

Just a couple years ago, one who placed a lot of mediocre containers used the backs of calendar pages for logs. 

- Even had their name for birthdays, and doctor's appts. too.   :D

I don't think I've seen an "official" logo-n-all logbook in six years or so. :)

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1

As has been said, you can use just about anything. I'd strongly suggest that, unless your container is very water-tight and will not be subject to condensation, use Rite-in-the-Rain paper or logs. You can buy the paper online to print your own, or many companies, including Groundspeak, sell logs and logbooks made of this paper. It is water resistant and helps with mold, too - just makes it nicer to find a clean cache with a log ready to sign.

• Upvote 1

I always use my own. I print them on my laser printer. (Do not use inkjet!) In containers where some water problems are expected, I use water safe paper (like Rite-in-the-rain that Jimrky mentioned, which works very well). At one time, I even cut them into small pages, but since nobody cared about that, I have resorted to rolling or folding it (depending on size).

My logs are clearly marked with a geocaching logo, brief instructions and space for GC code and name. However, I have seen caches with just a piece of blank paper, cut from some standrd notebook. No GC code, no name, nothing that says that it is a geocache. I understand if a CO want to keep the GC code and name secret for a mystery final, but not even saying "this is a geocache"... that is taking it a bit too far in my eyes.

So, like most things in this hobby, there is great variation. Choose what feels right to you (and change if many complains about it).

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1
35 minutes ago, Ragnemalm said:

I always use my own. 

Same. I use the local office shop to print covers, then cut up waterproof paper to whatever size is needed, whether its a small preform or a 1L box. You can download the geocaching logos from the website to use in your designs if you wish too....

• Helpful 1
55 minutes ago, thebruce0 said:

I use my own, but some geocaching stores and various websites may also provide pre-designed templates you can use (print yourself) for a variety of sizes and styles.

But most of the printed ones I see used around here are Micro logs in small, regular or large caches.  It seems many CO's see an "official" log and think that's what has to be used, but when you have a 1/2 inch wide roll (single sheet) in an ammo can it seems a bit ridiculous...

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, The Jester said:

But most of the printed ones I see used around here are Micro logs in small, regular or large caches.  It seems many CO's see an "official" log and think that's what has to be used, but when you have a 1/2 inch wide roll (single sheet) in an ammo can it seems a bit ridiculous...

Agreed.

Though I'm on the fence about including a 'micro' log in a large-ish container but in a manner that gives it additional protection (whether a bison or film can or what have you) so the larger container can be filled with other goodies (which most often are relatively nonexistent, heh). Even so, why not include a notebook inside an appropriately sized container if you want to protect the logbook with an extra layer? *shrug*

Not worked up enough about it to complain though :) Just another one of those interesting hide styles people seem to be using a little more often these days.

And here's a cache where the log is signed by more muggles than geocachers. If I had to guess, there are several hundred 500 muggle signatures for every one geocacher. At the site, there is no indication this is a geocache, there is no geocache name or code. There is nothing explaining what a geocache is. The log is a standard yellow pad of paper, changed often. The cache is the white box that says "Register Here", attached to the center column. Hidden in plain sight.

(This cache used to be a small or micro, the CO changed it to a log only cache in '06.)

11 hours ago, thebruce0 said:

Though I'm on the fence about including a 'micro' log in a large-ish container but in a manner that gives it additional protection (whether a bison or film can or what have you) so the larger container can be filled with other goodies (which most often are relatively nonexistent, heh). Even so, why not include a notebook inside an appropriately sized container if you want to protect the logbook with an extra layer? *shrug*

Not worked up enough about it to complain though :) Just another one of those interesting hide styles people seem to be using a little more often these days.

Yeah, if there are other items in the cache.  I did a multi a little bit ago that ended at a nice locked container about the size of a 30cal ammo can, and the only thing in it was a small baggie with a log roll.  The cost of the container (the lock not only sealed the container, it locked the wire that held it in place) would buy a few dozen bisons of various sizes, so cost wasn't a real consideration.

A simple search on Amazon, ETSY or EBay will yield RITR logs of every size up to 4" x 11". And other 'goodies'. Prices tend to be better on EBay but always be careful - look to see if you pay freight on top ?

Keeping an ammo can's contents safe from water through numerous visits can be a challenge. I usually put the log in at least a separate baggie, if not one of the dreaded 'Throw-out' plastic containers, depending on the ammo can size for that reason, and to just make it easier to find amongst the SWAG. That just gave me a thought for an 'Evil Container'...a Missile can with successive inner containers down to a Centrifuge Tube with a log. Bwoo-ha-haaaa! ?

On 12/4/2019 at 10:51 PM, Wet Pancake Touring Club said:

And here's a cache where the log is signed by more muggles than geocachers.

I have one of those too, in a cave. It had only four online logs in over a year, for something this nice. When visiting it, I found over 30 names in the log book! It was being treated as a kind of guest book. Fine with me! :)

Speaking if log book materials, there are three kinds that I know:

• Paper. Works if the container is really safe, like a petling, but it is enough that it hangs upside down and it will take in water. Once a paper log is wet, it will soon turn to pulp. Cheap, works well as long as you maintain it well.
  • RITR. This works very well even when wet, but will turn dark, grey-brown, if it is too wet.
  • Synthetic paper. This is the most expensive solution, and hardest to find, but it will last. Maybe too good, since it is not degradable, it will eventually turn into microplastics, like most containers. Hard to write on with pencil.
1 hour ago, Ragnemalm said:

Speaking if log book materials, there are three kinds that I know:

• Paper. Works if the container is really safe, like a petling, but it is enough that it hangs upside down and it will take in water. Once a paper log is wet, it will soon turn to pulp. Cheap, works well as long as you maintain it well.
  • RITR. This works very well even when wet, but will turn dark, grey-brown, if it is too wet.
  • Synthetic paper. This is the most expensive solution, and hardest to find, but it will last. Maybe too good, since it is not degradable, it will eventually turn into microplastics, like most containers. Hard to write on with pencil.

A type of paper I've been increasingly using is what's described as "stone paper", marketed in Australia under the Tradie brand and intended to be used by tradesmen working in atrocious weather and writing with a thumbnail dipped in axle grease. Here's an example:

Logbook.jpg.effadb236b56c736999c547fe7b596e7.jpg

As you can see, pencil works fine on it, as do most pens. I once wrote on a page with pencil, ballpoint pens of several colours and a Sharpie, then left the page sitting in a bucket of water for a couple of weeks. No problems. The only thing I've had trouble with is some water-based felt-tip pens which will bleed through it.

Edited by barefootjeff
  • Upvote 1
2 hours ago, barefootjeff said:

A type of paper I've been increasingly using is what's described as "stone paper", marketed in Australia under the Tradie brand and intended to be used by tradesmen working in atrocious weather and writing with a thumbnail dipped in axle grease.

That was a new kind for me! I have not seen it in any retailers here.

PS: I searched an I think I found it. But I kind of wonder if I should like the idea of producing things from stone.

Edited by Ragnemalm