NM attribut deleting with enabling a cache

Guido-30

Wow,  I sure hope that never happens.     Folks need to do maintenance to enter Owner Maintenance.

I need to temp-disable a couple caches the same time each year for a two-week period (hunting), and enable when over.

I wouldn't care for someone to falsely think I visited (to do maintenance...) a lengthy paddle-to in the Winter.

- Maintenance there is something that'd be done in Spring... 

• Upvote 3
  • Helpful 1
6 hours ago, Guido-30 said:

Is it possible to delete the attribut "need maintenance" automaticaly when a owner log "enable log"?

Many owners don't log "owner maintenance" with enabling, so the attribut often stays for a long time.

I see this all the time, and yes, it is a problem.  My suggestion would be to add a checkbox to the Enable log type,  that would clear the NM attribute, rather than doing it automatically.  That would give the cache owner the option to clear it, or not, depending on the situation.

• Upvote 5
  • Helpful 2
37 minutes ago, Touchstone said:

I see this all the time, and yes, it is a problem.  My suggestion would be to add a checkbox to the Enable log type,  that would clear the NM attribute, rather than doing it automatically.  That would give the cache owner the option to clear it, or not, depending on the situation.

That would be good. Or even just a reminder popup when the CO posts an Enable log on a cache with the NM attribute.

• Upvote 3

I would actually appreciate the opposite: NM log with a checkbox for enabling the cache. I usually write important info (about what has been done) to the NM log and then file a separate Enable log always with the same text: "Enabling the cache" which could be as well generated automatically.

But when I recall what happened with "canned" messages for maintenance and NA's (I have notifications for NA's in my area and I get "useful" universal messages reading "geocacher reported that the cache should be archived" to my mailbox instead of the reason)... hmm, I'm fine with the way it is now. :) After all, I enable caches only once in a while.

On 12/3/2019 at 5:43 PM, niraD said:

reminder popup when the CO posts an Enable log on a cache with the NM attribute.

Owner Maintenance is the proper log to clear the Needs maintenance flag - Disabling and Enabling are related, but not the same thing.  Enabling does not necessarily need an OM (if the cache was diabled without the NM flag for whatever reason), and likewise, if the cache is NOT disabled, but has the NM flag, logging just the OM is needed, no Enable.  They can, and often do, go hand in hand, but not in every case.

The reminder popup to log the OM if Enable is clicked and the NM flag is still active would be good.  

• Upvote 1