Announcing Community Celebration Events

3 hours ago, Boomshanka said:

Just a heads up, not sure if it's already been mentioned... as these are a new cache type, they probably won't be included as an email announcement when published. Might be useful to prompt (premium member) cachers to update their announcements profile if they want to see when new celebration events are published.

Good tip - I’d forgotten!

Does make you wish you could set up a single notification for multiple cache types...

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1
On 1/3/2020 at 5:50 PM, barefootjeff said:

So far from FB posts, it looks like six people in the Central Coast/Hunter region here have received events in this draw. Most likely there'll be others who either aren't in the FB groups or haven't posted, then there's another nine draws to come. That's going to be a lot of events to pack into the calendar, especially as most will want to hold them on weekends. That makes me wonder how the event stacking rules are going to be applied, particularly in my area on the southern end of the Central Coast where there'll be overlap with northern Sydney which has a lot more active cachers (and presumably a lot more events happening).

It's good that there are going to be plenty of these events, but it looks like there are actually going to be way too many of them, and as a consequence, they won't actually be very special at all.  I'm expecting many of them to become typical let's meet up at the pub (no actual event organisation necessary) event, just to use up the event icon that's been given...  Which seems a shame.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, funkymunkyzone said:

It's good that there are going to be plenty of these events, but it looks like there are actually going to be way too many of them, and as a consequence, they won't actually be very special at all.  I'm expecting many of them to become typical let's meet up at the pub (no actual event organisation necessary) event, just to use up the event icon that's been given...  Which seems a shame.

I know people that haven't host events in years or people that have never host events that have applied. I would love to host one, since I actually host a few events a year, but I fear that if I get one, it will just be lost in the crowd.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, funkymunkyzone said:

I have applied for one and if selected will go for a picnic Event with the possibility to swap Cache container / selfmade TOTT ideas etc.

• Upvote 1
On ‎1‎/‎6‎/‎2020 at 2:12 AM, Boomshanka said:

Just a heads up, not sure if it's already been mentioned... as these are a new cache type, they probably won't be included as an email announcement when published. Might be useful to prompt (premium member) cachers to update their announcements profile if they want to see when new celebration events are published.

Good point. It isn't a new cache type, but it's one that most cachers wouldn't have been expecting to be revived. I didn't have a notification set up for them, but I now do (after a few 404 errors; the notification configuration system seems to be working intermittently).

It would be good to know if or when they release these monthly batches, at the moment, the silence is deafening.  Did they even hand them out in March and April?  There is absolutely no communication on this whatsoever!

I am disappointed that I have yet to receive one.  As one of the very, very few protagonists of the game in South-east Asia, who has folded over backward to make the game happen, I would like to think that I have earned one.  There is however still some time to go, so I hope that eventually one will land with me (yes, I did apply).

14 hours ago, Barnyard Dawg said:

It would be good to know if or when they release these monthly batches, at the moment, the silence is deafening.  Did they even hand them out in March and April?  There is absolutely no communication on this whatsoever!

I haven't seen a public announcement on when batches of community celebration events will be handed out.  Since few areas are publishing events at the moment due to COVID 19, HQ may feel that awarding celebration events at the moment sends a mixed message. 

Fortunately, it appears that the deadline for holding community celebration events will be extended out to 31 December 2021, so there is time.  I believe an official announcement to this end is still forthcoming, but it's been put out through unofficial channels.

14 hours ago, Barnyard Dawg said:

I am disappointed that I have yet to receive one.  As one of the very, very few protagonists of the game in South-east Asia, who has folded over backward to make the game happen, I would like to think that I have earned one.  There is however still some time to go, so I hope that eventually one will land with me (yes, I did apply).

There are many things in life that I felt I deserved that I didn't get.  For the most part, I have kept my disappointment to myself, or grumbled quietly.  Service before self, and all that.

Edited by hzoi
  • Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1
5 hours ago, Ariberna said:

I think that this celebrations will be cancelled, because I have one and in Spain with the COVID and actual status, it is impossible have an event. Or modify and have online.

Well, you certainly cannot have an event online. Perhaps the event will be postponed until a later date when your area allows in-person gatherings.