Oregon 600: Will there ever be the day...

Torttu99

...when my Oregon 600 will not freeze couple of times a month?

- device just freezes during use and only way to get it to function again is just remove and replace the batteries

- always running the latest firmware

- I haven't found any exact use case for freezes; they occur sometimes when zooming the map and sometimes when browsing the menus, so it's not linked to any specific operation

- of course it _might_ be for example faulty map file

- am I the only one or is there someone else also experiencing this very annoying problem?

The short answer: no. 

Garmin has already replaced the 600 with the 700. And we're about due for the next iteration in the Oregon lineup. I'll be surprised if the 600 gets any more firmware updates.

Despite the freezes, it's still a very capable and handy device. The benefits still outweigh the bugs.

7 minutes ago, Mineral2 said:

Garmin has already replaced the 600 with the 700. And we're about due for the next iteration in the Oregon lineup. I'll be surprised if the 600 gets any more firmware updates.

The Oregon 6x0 series received >9 updates in 2013, 6 in 2014, 3 in 2015, 2 in 2016, 3 in 2017, 1 in 2018, and 2 thus far in 2019.

Not totally dead yet!

8^)

On 11/25/2019 at 2:11 AM, Torttu99 said:

...when my Oregon 600 will not freeze couple of times a month?

- device just freezes during use and only way to get it to function again is just remove and replace the batteries

- always running the latest firmware

- I haven't found any exact use case for freezes; they occur sometimes when zooming the map and sometimes when browsing the menus, so it's not linked to any specific operation

- of course it _might_ be for example faulty map file

- am I the only one or is there someone else also experiencing this very annoying problem?

The only option I have for you is to perform a master reset and reconfigure your device options and profiles again from scratch AFTER the most recent firmware has been loaded. This frequently resolves unforeseen gremlins that are left over after multiple firmware updates without a master reset. If you choose this path, please let us know if the behavior improves afterward.

Edited by Atlas Cached
typo

It is most likely caused by a specific GPX file.  Delete all files and empty the trash if on a MAC.  Master reset the unit and start from scratch.  It should not be locking up.  This problem started during the development period of the Oregon 400 and was clearly shown back then to be caused by bad HTML that the unit can't parse within GPX files.