HEIC files

momndad2boys

So evidently iPhone and maybe others have gone to HEIC file extensions with the new updates.  Finally figured out how to change it to where it's jpeg extension again but is there a way to upload the pictures to logs without converting them?  This may be on the wrong forum and if so please let me know and I will move it.  Thanks.  ACT

1 hour ago, momndad2boys said:

So evidently iPhone and maybe others have gone to HEIC file extensions with the new updates.  Finally figured out how to change it to where it's jpeg extension again but is there a way to upload the pictures to logs without converting them?  This may be on the wrong forum and if so please let me know and I will move it.  Thanks.  ACT

I have iPhone 8 with iOS 13.1.3.  I took a picture with the stock Camera App, and it's a .JPG as always.  Which phone, iOS, and App do you have?

26 minutes ago, momndad2boys said:

iPhone 7 with 13.1.3, I have fixed it to where it takes the pics with jpeg again but after the update it defaulted to HEIC.  Now I either have to convert the pics to JPEG that I took this weekend geocaching or just not upload pics.  It won't let me upload an HEIC file to the cache log.

I haven't changed phone camera settings, and I have the default have the "HEIC" one selected without issue.  All I'm getting are .JPGs at this time.  But I'll keep an eye on it. :cute:

For files with HEIC extensions, here's a pretty good article:

https://www.guidingtech.com/convert-heic-jpg-windows/

There's a camera setting to disable apple's high quality image format, in Formats, set to Most Compatible. It changes both photo and video. The JPGs produced are much larger than HEIC.

Another trick - if you make an edit to the image, some file transfer apps will store the JPG version instead of the HEIC.

I just turned off the High Efficiency setting and deal with the larger space, at least until HEVC and HEIC are more widely accepted.

I use PhotoTransferApp for transferring media files (the edit trick works with that one if High Efficiency is enabled), but if an HEIC slips through, I find the iMazing HEIC converter to be one of if not the best converter to JPG. Though the interface is annoyingly basic :P

• Helpful 1