Cannot submit a cache for review

TeamGRMJ

While trying to submit a cache I continually get a looping message after step 3 "description".  Below are all the things I have tried with an image of the message I receive.  Is anyone else having this issue?  I placed this cache on the 17th and have not been able to submit it for review.  Should I go remove the cache?

1.       Windows 10, both edge and chrome.

2.       Android galaxy S9 both the android browser and chrome

3.       iPad mini on safari

4.       I have cleared all cookies and history, I have even closed my old account and started another one under TeamGRMJ username

All of this has been done to no avail.  Whether I select start over or continue editing, once I get back to step 3 it does this again, its like ground hogs day the movie :). 

geo1.PNG

Edited by TeamGRMJ
added detail on what happens when I select start over or continue editing.

I have emailed Geo HQ around 8 times seeking advice on this error. I have received nothing but questions and one email to tell me to do what I have done.  Now it is radio silence, I am beginning to wonder if they will ever get back to me.  I am beyond frustrated and extremely disappointed with Geocaching HQ support.  I will go remove my geo cache tomorrow since i cannot get help.  Thank you to all that helped...oh that was sarcastic; my apologies.:(

Oh!  From memory...

Firefox with NoScript, right?  You have to whitelist one extra site, memory escapes me, but it's the external component that provides the wizzy-wig HTML editor.

Drove me nuts until I figured it out.

Ah, here we go: 

EDIT: ah, you're NOT using Firefox with NoScript, I see now.  Well, don't start; it doesn't make this work any better.

Groundspeak: as I hinted earlier, we need better error handling.  Thanks.

Edited by Viajero Perdido
  • Helpful 1
21 minutes ago, Viajero Perdido said:

Oh!  From memory...

Firefox with NoScript, right?  You have to whitelist one extra site, memory escapes me, but it's the external component that provides the wizzy-wig HTML editor.

Drove me nuts until I figured it out.

Ah, here we go: 

EDIT: ah, you're NOT using Firefox with NoScript, I see now.  Well, don't start; it doesn't make this work any better.

Groundspeak: as I hinted earlier, we need better error handling.  Thanks.

The OP said Windows 10 in Chrome and Edge.  The iPad/phone, I dunno if those even work.

Some info about the cache page might help.  There used to be a lot of gotchas.  Some may still exist.

15 hours ago, kunarion said:

The OP said Windows 10 in Chrome and Edge.  The iPad/phone, I dunno if those even work.

Some info about the cache page might help.  There used to be a lot of gotchas.  Some may still exist.

@kunarion 

1. Logged in – I disabled my old account, so I had to open a new one.  TeamGRMJ  But I am logged in
  2. Selected Play
  3. Hide a Cache
  4. Choose traditional cache
  5. I enter my coordinates - N 30° 30.814 W 097° 48.548
  6. I confirm them the coordinates and get approval
  7. I select Continue
  8. Waypoints – I don’t add any
  9. I select Continue
  10. Cache name – I have tried several but the one that I wanted was “More for Forest Oaks”
  11. Placed by – is auto filled with – TeamGRMJ
  12. Placed date – Nov 17th 2019 selected - have tried later and just used the current date
  13. Location auto filled with – United States, Texas
  14. Description – Fun cache, with great things to trade! If you are hiking or biking in the green space in the FO green space, come find me. If entering from Park there is a steep hill to enter the green space.
  15. Hint – I am low among the cedars, protected by pollen
  16. I agree to the terms by checking the box
  17. I select Continue
  18. I then get the error as seen in the image
4 minutes ago, TeamGRMJ said:

@kunarion 

1. Logged in – I disabled my old account, so I had to open a new one.  TeamGRMJ  But I am logged in
  2. Selected Play
  3. Hide a Cache
  4. Choose traditional cache
  5. I enter my coordinates - N 30° 30.814 W 097° 48.548
  6. I confirm them the coordinates and get approval
  7. I select Continue
  8. Waypoints – I don’t add any
  9. I select Continue
  10. Cache name – I have tried several but the one that I wanted was “More for Forest Oaks”
  11. Placed by – is auto filled with – TeamGRMJ
  12. Placed date – Nov 17th 2019 selected - have tried later and just used the current date
  13. Location auto filled with – United States, Texas
  14. Description – Fun cache, with great things to trade! If you are hiking or biking in the green space in the FO green space, come find me. If entering from Park there is a steep hill to enter the green space.
  15. Hint – I am low among the cedars, protected by pollen
  16. I agree to the terms by checking the box
  17. I select Continue
  18. I then get the error as seen in the image

I don't immediately see anything nutty in your reply.  I expected control characters or emojis in the cache title or something B).

Is that when using Edge? (I know you tried others, I'm simplifying to see how to duplicate the effect :anicute:).

Did you start fresh after changing user names?  I'd guess you did, just checking.

Are you running malware software in maximum mode or whatever?

Looking through the Forum history, I see times where Mods that have reviewer access have checked such pages, found no issue, and from that point, the page works.  And a lot of replies where a cacher tried it again and it worked that time.  It's never happened to me, so I can only guess what could cause it.

I have malware-bytes running but it is the free version.  Most of my attempts are via Chrome on Win10.

I have cleared the cache several times to no avail.  One thing that just came to mind was that even though I disabled my original account, I did use the same email when setting up the new account.  I wonder if that left any residue that could be buggering something?

Aside from that I am pretty sure I started from a clean slate.

3 minutes ago, TeamGRMJ said:

I have malware-bytes running but it is the free version.  Most of my attempts are via Chrome on Win10.

I have cleared the cache several times to no avail.  One thing that just came to mind was that even though I disabled my original account, I did use the same email when setting up the new account.  I wonder if that left any residue that could be buggering something?

Aside from that I am pretty sure I started from a clean slate.

I opened a new cache listing to help you. Please, accept the adoption request to go over this problem.

1 minute ago, TeamGRMJ said:

I have cleared the cache several times to no avail.

You cleared web site history?

From the post, your page looks very basic with nothing that I'd expect to trip up the site.  Weird!

I created a new page in Edge using the text you posted, and the next step (cache size selection) occurred, and I was able to complete and save the draft page.  No error, except for a popup that said the cache is "far away" from Atlanta.  I'll try it in Chrome.  I don't use phones or tablets for any cache page editing, because that's known to be iffy.  This is best on a desktop PC.

The only thing I see is a fancy HTML editor for a cache description.  That's new.  Well, I haven't seen it til today.  But it's been maybe a couple of months since I edited a cache page.  Anyway, I don't know if there may be glitches in it.

I enabled pop ups and that did not help on making my own geocache but i will clear my cache, log in log out and see if that changes that.

With the shell that @arisoft sent me,  I was able to submit after enabling the pop ups. I did use the preview on the one that submitted.  sort of invalidates if the pop ups did it since i changed 2 variables.

The first hurdle is complete, the cache is finally submitted!  yay!!  Thank you to all with a big shout out to @arisoft for the shell. 

The next issue I have to address is will I ever be able to submit on my own.

Edited by TeamGRMJ

I logged out, cleared browser cache, logged back in and when I proceed to hide a cache it still pulls up the original one with that error.  I hit start over then backed out, when I come back in the residue is still there.  Clearing the browser cache is not clearing my profile it seems.

As a reviewer I can now see the submitted cache page.  At the time of the initial report, I couldn't, because no cache page had been saved.

I can confirm that the cache is now properly awaiting review.  TeamGRMJ, you can expect to hear back soon about your coordinates, which are on top of a house in the neighborhood to the east of the park where you hid your ammo can.  It's likely that you used the DD MM SS format to obtain your coordinates.

@Keystone  I used an app called GPS coordinates, the pin does show atop a house on mine too.  Now it is close to a house, however, it is not on top of it.  This could be a rookie move on my part since this is the first cache that I have posted.  If there is a preferred method please let me know.

I am thrilled that it will finally be reviewed!!!  thank you!

Edited by TeamGRMJ
8 minutes ago, TeamGRMJ said:

@Keystone  I used an app called GPS coordinates, the pin does show atop a house on mine too.  Now it is close to a house, however, it is not on top of it.  This could be a rookie move on my part since this is the first cache that I have posted.  If there is a preferred method please let me know.

You can view coords within the App (they are displayed on the compass screen while navigating to any cache), and you can test where a GPS may guide you by setting your coords as a waypoint (again, while navigating to any cache).  Yeah, what arisoft said. :anicute:

There are other Apps than the Official One, better suited to collecting coords and testing coords in the field, such as Spyglass.  That works OK for free in either Android or iPhone versions.  And there are more.

Edited by kunarion
  • Helpful 1
17 minutes ago, TeamGRMJ said:

I logged out, cleared browser cache, logged back in and when I proceed to hide a cache it still pulls up the original one with that error.  I hit start over then backed out, when I come back in the residue is still there.  Clearing the browser cache is not clearing my profile it seems.

The new one from arisoft didn't work?

I tried the whole thing in Chrome just now and I can't get the issue to occur.  The buttons and the description editor seem to load a little more slowly (they take a few moments to respond) than in Edge, but I get that at times, and it's never created the Topic's problem for me.  I also tried to cut-and-paste, in case that introduces some control characters, and even that was no problem.

The good news is this thing tends to clear up for people and then it stays working (based on previous threads).

Maybe since Keystone helpfully got it over the last hurdle, you can now complete that cache.  If this happens again, do you have a different computer on a different Internet connection you could try?  I don't suggest editing a cache page on a phone, but you could "tether" to a phone's wifi, and then be on a different connection (but using data of course). 

1 minute ago, TeamGRMJ said:

Yes, I have a laptop that I can try from.  I will see how that goes.  I'm just so elated that it is in review.  It has been 10 days of grinding but it is there!!!

I'm guessing it's a rare combination of things that sometimes goes bad, and kind of latches a fault.  Maybe next time it will be just fine.  Fingers crossed. :)

• Helpful 1

I have the cache in my review queue now. I assume that you wanted the coordinates N 30° 30.808 W 097° 48.570 used as the actual cache coordinates (the posted ones were obviously incorrect) and I was able to edit the page to use those coordinates with no difficulty. I'll finish reviewing the cache shortly. If those are NOT the desired coordinates, please let me know ASAP.

• Love 1

The same problem:

I cannot submit a cache for review. Every time I clickat CONTINUE, the box appears SAVED DRAFT "Looks like you already started creating a geocache or event. Would you like to continue or start over?"
When I click on CONTINUE, the last input page comes and the same box again. When I click on START OVER, I have to start over and at the crucial point, this box comes again. An endless loop!
My cocacher (different account) has the same problem.
We tried it on Windows 10 with Firefox, Chrome and Edge, even on mobile phones and tablets under Android (with Firefox, Chrome and Brave) we didn't. Cookies deleted, restarted, etc.

It seems it depends on the internet connection. At home I have only mobile internet. I tried it from a wired connection and it seems to be working.

• Helpful 1