Overlay a GPX map on a geocaching map?

kurchian

6 hours ago, Red90 said:

On what?  A computer?  A GPS?  A phone/tablet?

Any mapping capable GPS will do that.  Most computer mapping programs will do that.  Most phone mapping apps will do that?  I'm not sure what won't do that.

I'd like to be able to do so on a computer. 

I am planning a 230 mile section hike. I have a copy of the GPX of the trail. I'd like to be able to overlay the GPX tracks on a GC.com map and see what caches are nearby.

Would you be kind enough to suggest a couple options for me?

Much appreciated.

17 hours ago, StefandD said:

On PC/Mac:

Google Earth in combination with the Geocache Google Earth Viewer. You can find the Viewer on the old dashboard page.

Or create a PQ 'Caches along a route' and view it in BaseCamp.

I know how to overlay my GPX route over Google Maps. But how would I overlay the geocaches that are along the route?

Edited by kurchian
7 hours ago, kurchian said:

I know how to overlay my GPX route over Google Maps. But how would I overlay the geocaches that are along the route?

* Go to your Geocaching.com dashboard page. If you use the 'new experience', go back to the old page with the link on top of the page.

* When you scroll down you'll see in the right column Geocache Google Earth Viewer. Download it and open it in Google Earth.

* Please Note: The feature is a tool for viewing geocaches in a general location. The coordinates used in Google Earth are only an approximation and can be up to 100 ft from the actual location.

Your best bet here might be to import the GPX file as a route, and then create a pocket query from the route, deciding how far off the trail you're willing to go for a geocache. Keep in mind that when tracks are imported into the Groundspeak route maker, points will be removed, but the basic shape of the trail will still be intact, and searching say a mile on either side *should* cover you. You can then preview the results of the pocket query on the gc map, and you can run it to put the caches on your GPS to view alongside the trail while hiking.

On 11/23/2019 at 7:49 AM, HHL said:

I've created this geocache map with a third party tool (here: GSAK) and added layers with Railways, Public Transport and my local GPX track file (the blue line) in it.

Hans

How does GSAK support display or management of track files?

I have imported GPX files that have waypoints, geocaches and tracks into GSAK and it seems to ignore the tracks.

On ‎11‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 3:01 AM, HHL said:

GSAK is a database tool for Geocaches (and waypoints) only. The tracks should be added to a map created by GSAK, not to GSAK itself.

Hans

In addition to the base functionality GSAK has a library of macros that complete ddescrete tasks. Map geochaches on a google map is one such macro.

I run a list of 1000 caches within my common search area on a periodic basis and map it to Mapsource to aid in planning caching runs.