Adventure Lab Cache Time Stamp Error

TwigNZ

Adventure Lab Caches.

Last Friday (15th Nov) I did my first Adventure Lab Cache in Palmerston North, New Zealand (GC8FF78) and have noticed an odd side effect.

On my Geocaching.com statistics page it has credited the 5 Lab Cache finds for Thursday 14th, whilst ProjectGC has correctly identified the finds as the 15th. This now means that I have a discrepancy between the number of Dot days I still have left as Nov 14th was/is a dot day for me.

I assume that the Lab Cache finds have been recorded within Groundspeak according to Seattle time, instead of local time. And yet PGC has obviously found some other data which has recoded the find date correctly.

Seeing as I cannot edit the date of the Lab Cache finds, is there any way that the Lab Caches can be corrected to show as being found on the 15th?

Cheers,

TwigNZ

2 hours ago, TwigNZ said:

Adventure Lab Caches.

Last Friday (15th Nov) I did my first Adventure Lab Cache in Palmerston North, New Zealand (GC8FF78) and have noticed an odd side effect.

On my Geocaching.com statistics page it has credited the 5 Lab Cache finds for Thursday 14th, whilst ProjectGC has correctly identified the finds as the 15th. This now means that I have a discrepancy between the number of Dot days I still have left as Nov 14th was/is a dot day for me.

I assume that the Lab Cache finds have been recorded within Groundspeak according to Seattle time, instead of local time. And yet PGC has obviously found some other data which has recoded the find date correctly.

Seeing as I cannot edit the date of the Lab Cache finds, is there any way that the Lab Caches can be corrected to show as being found on the 15th?

Cheers,

TwigNZ

Unless there's something I've missed, Project GC can't know about any Lab cache finds. They aren't true caches in the same way as the other cache types, so Project GC isn't able to get any information about them. I just checked my profile stats on there and can't see any evidence of my Lab finds in any of the areas where they should show up (busy day, cache type totals, etc.).

On the other hand, the Multi that you referenced is just another cache. When logging that, you'll run into the typical time zone issues depending on how you logged it. If it's showing up in your stats as the wrong date, try editing the log to change the date to another one, and then change it back to the correct date. That could trigger the servers to rewrite the date in the database and hopefully correct things.

Hi there A-Team,

I don't have the ability just now to do screenshots right now, but if I were to show you the Stats page from Geocaching.com website vs PGC website next to each other you would see that the Geocaching page shows me with 5 finds for Nov 14th and 1 find for Nov 15th, whilst PGC shows 0 finds for Nov 14th and 6 finds for Nov 15th which is correct and made up of the 1 Multi and 5 lab caches I found last Friday.

So firstly PGC certainly do know about Lab Cache finds, and have the ability to date stamp them correctly (at least that's how it appears to me), and when I look at my PGC stats page they (Lab Caches) do show up on my busy day (11 at the WENZ Mega last Oct) as well as showing correctly in Cache Types (I now have 15 Lab Caches - the 5 new ones plus 10 at WENZ) etc.

I don't want to appear argumentative, but PGC seem to be showing my stats more accurately than Geocaching.com

I'm not here to berate anyone, I just want accurate stats which I don't have at the moment due to the date/time stamping issue of Lab Caches.

Cheers,

John

• Upvote 1

Not sure about your date issue, but I can confirm that Project-GC does include Lab Caches in its stats, including one being shown on my Busy Day list.

Perhaps the Adventure Labs are on a different server which doesn't allow for time zone/date correction?

Meanwhile, is there any chance someone from Groundspeak could address this issue please?

I have now done my second set of Adventure Lab Caches and, again, the finds are being recorded on the wrong date due to the time difference!

Cheers,

John

I would also like to see this addressed.  I had a gap in my 'find calendar' where I have never found a cache on 5 December.  So today (which is 5 December) I went and found the lab caches than run through the Sydney, Australia CBD.  And now I find that the lab caches were all logged as found on 4 December, so I still have the gap in my calendar.  At least with other caches you can choose the find date (for example if you are catching up on your logs) or change the date if you accidentally logged it wrong.  However with lab caches there's no options re date/time/timezones, and due to the nature of the cache type you have to log them then and there.

There should be an easy solution for this, eg allow the app to use the timezone for the current location / use the time&date of the phone's calendar / allow the user to confirm the date when logging / allow the dates to be adjusted within the app or on geocaching.com.....

Thanks, John

• Upvote 1

At the risk of sounding like a broken record here, another 2 weeks have passed and not even any kind of official acknowledgement of my query?

Is it even worth reporting bugs if they then get ignored?

Merry Xmas admin, you've obviously taken the month of December off completely.

• Upvote 1