Why don’t you give Favorites?

10 minutes ago, barefootjeff said:

I don't know how effective that would be. I've just done such a plot for one of my caches old enough to have five years' worth of FPs (GC62WZJ):

image.png.e1ca87cee42bc5561129e25c7ade2755.png

By your reasoning, that cache must be well past its prime now and just about ready for the Grim Reaper reviewer to strike, but, well, when last I checked a couple of months ago it looked like this:

DSC_0130.jpg.2c0217595577680fd834354d71097e8e.jpg

Okay, the clasp is showing a little surface rust and parts of the decoration on the box are fading, but I think it's still fairly serviceable. The reason for the fall-off in FPs is simply due to a corresponding drop in finds, as most of the locals who want to find it did so in the first two or three years and all it gets now are occasional out-of-town visitors with the time and resources to do it (two of the waypoints are boat-access).

Hmmm. Good point.

Is it because you have fewer visitors each successive year? If so, perhaps the best approach to a graph would be percentage per year.

• Upvote 1
26 minutes ago, L0ne.R said:

perhaps the best approach to a graph would be percentage per year

I think percentage has a lot more meaning than number of favourites, because in some areas of the world caches get a lot more visits than in other parts. A cache with say 20 FP doesn't look great against a cache with say 150FP, but a closer inspection might reveal a much higher percentage of FPs for the one with lessor FPs.

33 minutes ago, L0ne.R said:

Is it because you have fewer visitors each successive year? If so, perhaps the best approach to a graph would be percentage per year.

Perhaps, but even so that could be deceptive, especially on a cache like mine that now gets few finds. This year it's had three but only one awarded an FP, whereas overall it's sitting on 74%. It was on 100% FPs for the first year but it's now slipped a bit, maybe because out-of-town visitors are less likely to give FPs, particularly those just doing it to get its relatively rare D/T rating (3/5), or maybe it's just statistical randomness with such a small sample size as everyone has different tastes in caches.

image.png.d2dde06e59ad55a3115670016829241a.png

Edited by barefootjeff

I have one cache with 6 FPs. It got those quickly soon after I published it, but in the years since no more FPs. The reason was that I had made a cache out of the 'cutest' plastic tortoise. I found it on a road and had never seen a cuter plastic tortoise toy, before or since. Others obviously thought the same, because those 6FPs arrived quickly, but then I guess someone did think it extremely cute, because it was stolen. I didn't even try to replace that tortoise as I doubt I would have found another to match it, so I used a plain plastic box as a cache. Now it is a large metal bison tube-like cache. Functional, but not worthy of a FP, and the cache no longer gets points. This can be one reason a cache stops getting FPs; the cache is changed.

• Upvote 2
2 hours ago, barefootjeff said:

The reason for the fall-off in FPs is simply due to a corresponding drop in finds, as most of the locals who want to find it did so in the first two or three years and all it gets now are occasional out-of-town visitors with the time and resources to do it (two of the waypoints are boat-access).

2 hours ago, L0ne.R said:

Hmmm. Good point.

This is how every cache we've ever done since 2011 has been.   :)

Most locals find it, those "just outta the area" find it, then it sits until someone passing through stops by.

Sometimes we see someone local who normally wouldn't finally stops, needing it for something  (like a promotion).

- We've done this too.  Caches I wouldn't normally think of doing, but it satisfies something dreamed up for a souvenir.  ;)

I'm kinda surprised that Lone.R hasn't experienced this, and don't understand why the simple graph that goes by finds suddenly needs fixing.

The "percentage per year" graph can't take into account any cache prior to 12/10.

The same caches that are claimed to be soggy messes years later would often show a jump in FPs as it gets worse.  :D

I give favorite points to caches that IMO deserve them.  Turns out, for me, that is less than 10%.  A great container in a nice spot, or a well-constructed puzzle, are nearly always faves for me.  While I also enjoy so-so puzzles with so-so hides, I don't award them favorite points.  I want my faves to mean something.

My criteria for a favorite point are probably similar to Lone.R's, even though we frequently disagree on everything else in the forums.  If you want faves on your caches, you could do far worse than considering their opinions about what makes a good cache.

• Upvote 1
On 11/20/2019 at 10:23 AM, thebruce0 said:

How many old farts have you had? :blink::o:wacko::laughing:

On 11/20/2019 at 1:01 PM, The Jester said:

More and more as I age... :D

On 11/20/2019 at 2:18 PM, cerberus1 said:

As you get older, you pray it is one.  ;)

Oh, you guys!

MaxClowns15.png.4cee107788eee0c3bc8b5583405595de.png

:laughing:

Edited by VAVAPAM
  • Funny 2
1 hour ago, GrateBear said:

I have 398 out of 450 to give.  As others have said, to award a FP, the cache has to be unique, or clever, or interesting, and has to be well maintained.  Even if it's a really old cache, like Mingo, I won't give it a FP.  

I pretty much place all my FPs, because I go through the list and remember all the cool caches. I can place them all. I guess I'm easily entertained. :P

But I don't give them because a cache is old or because I'm getting a stat from it or because I got FTF or a bunion or whatever. If it's merely for personal record keeping, a List might be suitable. Sure, since I'm always out of Favorite Points, a List of favorite caches would also be cool. There aren't limits in a List (except maybe the size of the List).

For me, FPs are recommendations, not some kind of gift to the CO, not a "thank you", but a "check this out, it is pretty good". Of course I am happy when I get FPs but I want to deserve them, I want the cache to be worth the recommendation. To me as CO, the FP is part of the feedback.

• Good location, good puzzle, interesting construction: All positive things, they get FPs if I have any left.
  • First, last or random cache in a trail as "Thank you for the trail": never. That is noise in the FP system.
  • Helpful 1
  • Love 1

My FPs are a mix of both recommendations and marking great personal experiences. Basically, it denotes something positive. =P  But, I'm always aware that the FP is a front-facing metric people might use to judge the cache before finding it. So the above case is true and I would award a favourite, the quality of the cache might rescind that choice. I might have had a great experience, and for another cache I might add a FP, but if I think that cache shouldn't get a FP (that's a different judgment), then I won't.

It's more like  if (A or B or C) and (not D) then +FP. :)

• Upvote 1
28 minutes ago, thebruce0 said:

My FPs are a mix of both recommendations and marking great personal experiences. Basically, it denotes something positive. =P  But, I'm always aware that the FP is a front-facing metric people might use to judge the cache before finding it. So the above case is true and I would award a favourite, the quality of the cache might rescind that choice. I might have had a great experience, and for another cache I might add a FP, but if I think that cache shouldn't get a FP (that's a different judgment), then I won't.

It's more like  if (A or B or C) and (not D) then +FP. :)

I think that pretty much sums up my approach.  All sorts of things play into my equation, including some that others have dismissed:

- I might give a FP for the extra thrill of an FTF race.

- I might give a ‘cumulative’ FP to the last cache in an enjoyable, well-thought out series, even though the individual caches don’t reach my own subjective threshold.

- I might give a FP for the fun had with my companions along the way.

Basically, anything that has contributed to my enjoyment could tip the balance in favour of a FP.  However, a poor cache at the end of the hunt, tips the scales in the opposite direction.

• Upvote 1
21 minutes ago, IceColdUK said:
1 hour ago, DerDiedler said:

Wasn´t the thread about why not to give FP´s? :)

Apologies.  I don’t give a favourite point if the cache is not one of my favourites (see above). ?

Ah yes!  Okay I don't give a FP if not D. Wait, I do if not D. I don't if D. What is D? ..not A or B or C that's for sure. So for sure, but not D. I don't give a FP If D or not (A or B or C). There we go!

• Funny 2