Why don’t you give Favorites?

The email from GS a couple of weeks ago telling me how many favorites I have available inspired me to raise the question. I thought surely that someone would have mentioned this, but maybe this is not well known. 

I have noticed that some cachers have found many THOUSANDS of caches but have never given even a single Favorite. Some of those people have hidden caches that have received Favorite points.

I have also noticed that there are cachers, often caching in groups, who will travel to an area and find only caches that have lots of Favorite points. But these cachers often do not give Favorite points in recognition of the well done hides they are seeking. Often they post a cut and paste log.

So if you specifically seek out caches with lots of Favorites, why don’t you also award those caches with Favorites? Maybe not all of the caches you find, but it seems like at least some would be deserving of recognition.

I don’t expect a favorite for a lamp post or a guard rail (unless it has a breath taking view of the Grand Canyon).

I know people whose lives have been changed dramatically by this game. The joy of being awarded a Favorite adds a ray of sunshine that can’t be found anywhere else.

Favorites cost nothing but a mouse click on that Blue Heart just below the log form. The message to the CO is priceless, visible and lasting.

This is just one reason that I personally don't always award a Favorite point: A cache owner asking me to, either thru PM or on the cache page. I don't like that, and I'm less likely to award points to that CO. It's just a personal thing. 

I did play with Fav Points with that recent promotion, but generally speaking, I don't put a high value on them. I see them as a gift: you don't ask for them and you don't expect them, but be happy when you get them. ?

You make some good points!

• Upvote 5
  • Helpful 1
  • Love 1
11 minutes ago, Mockingbird559 said:

The joy of being awarded a Favorite adds a ray of sunshine that can’t be found anywhere else.

+1

I don’t expect nor solicit Favorite Points on my caches, but it makes my day when I get one. :P

...or at least when the Find log says it was an especially cool cache. :cute:

The reason I don’t give favorites is... I ran out.  I mean, I will give them, but it’s one per 10 Finds or whatever.  So you have to wait.  :) 

6 minutes ago, Mockingbird559 said:

I have also noticed that there are cachers, often caching in groups, who will travel to an area and find only caches that have lots of Favorite points. But these cachers often do not give Favorite points in recognition of the well done hides they are seeking. Often they post a cut and paste log.

So if you specifically seek out caches with lots of Favorites, why don’t you also award those caches with Favorites? Maybe not all of the caches you find, but it seems like at least some would be deserving of recognition.

I don’t expect a favorite for a lamp post or a guard rail (unless it has a breath taking view of the Grand Canyon).

I'll begin by saying I currently have zero FPs available to award, and that's quite often the case, so I have to be pretty selective in the caches I give them to. But I will address the issue you raise in the section of your post I've quoted. The Cache Carnival promotion earlier in the year made finding caches with 50+ FPs almost essential for completing the souvenirs so I ended up spending a couple of days around Sydney Harbour visiting as many of those as I could - there were some that were too muggled-out for me to search and some ECs that I couldn't even begin to figure out answers to their questions, but I did end up logging nine of them. Of those, I didn't award any FPs as, to my mind, the only reason they'd got so many FPs was because they were in a tourist hotspot and some had well over a thousand finds to get past that 50 FP mark, and yes, one of those was a guard rail MKH with a harbour view. Since I grew up in Sydney, the sight of Sydney harbour lost its wow factor for me long ago, so no, those weren't caches that I'd consider amongst my favourites, not by a long shot. Most of the caches I've given FPs to have been bushland hides often well off the beaten track, because those are the sort that really appeal to me, and a lot of those caches will never get 50 finds, let alone 50 FPs.

I've given out 108 FPs over my six and a half years of caching and according to Project GC, my caches have received back 378, although 73 of those have been on caches I adopted, but even so that still leaves me a long way in debt.

• Upvote 1

Similar to Max and 99, someone trying to be creative, asking folks to FP their caches,  has really turned me from them. 

Maybe it's just me, but the many caches that have crazy FPs I've seen, the date or something was the draw. 

- The  waterlogged or often replaced containers, not so much...

You seriously know people who's lives have  changed dramatically by this hobby and favorite points ?    Please...

Much easier to reverse the question, since it narrows down the options.

Show me something in a truly unique location, or show me some creativity, or show me some time invested in a design, especially show me something I haven't seen before in the previous 13,000 finds (I still like surprises), and you'll get a favorite point.

• Upvote 4
1 hour ago, Mockingbird559 said:

Favorites cost nothing but a mouse click on that Blue Heart just below the log form. The message to the CO is priceless, visible and lasting.

For me, the appreciative logs are much more priceless and lasting than any FPs that might be attached to them. And those aren't limited to just one in ten finds.

• Upvote 7
  • Helpful 1

Why don't we still have nearly 210 of our possible 560 favorite points and haven't awarded them?

Because caches have to be unique, or really scenic, or thrilling, or... different.

Our first gadget cache was cool, so we awarded a favorite... But that was back in the days, nowadays with building instructions via Youtube it's just another birdhouse with ...(add mechanism here)! (we don't know, which cache it was)

Our first cool and challenging puzzle, that kept us busy for over a year got a favorite (and it'll keep it forever) after the introduction of the favorite points. Most of the puzzles nowadays are mostly just simple (but time consuming) Jiggidy puzzles, or strange study_my_special_master_degree puzzles. (Believe us, we're seeing a lot of puzzles and their solution every evening when our schizophrenic alter egos are reviewing them)

We  love those thilling caches, like night caches, or lost place, with challenging or creepy stories, but even the creepiest story ( coming into a big hall with a basin with a few hundret "rats" floating and moving, and you have to look for the one "infected rat") or the the coolest final (standing before a wall shelf in an old barrack used by the russian army, and after you discoverd that you were at right spot, you're able to move the whole wall to get to the final!).

And if you've found a cache, where the story takes place in a 3 storey house, which is exclusivly rented for this Geocache, and after a few hours of pure fun (including crawling through a replica of the time tunnel) your 9V block enables a prefinal that makes you, hear, feel, smell and partially even taste the power of the 4th dimension.

So if you've seen all of this, what comes next?

So we are focussing our to_be_given favorite points to caches on scenic spots mostly away from the touristic hot spots, where the CO is showing us their favorite and hidden special place, or in other words, scenic spots, that we wouldn't have noticed without a cache placed there.

So even just a simple preform hidden on a guardrail but on a special and scenic place is a cache that we love to award with a favorite point.

• Upvote 1

Probably the #1 reason i don't give favorites is poor container or condition of container.  I have favs to spare, but often withhold because the container is in such bad shape. 

That said, I do give favorites. Sometimes, my favorite point is the only one.

I don't seek out high favorite caches as they tend to be gadgets/cute containers, virts, or the listing offers some useful stat, unrelated to the cache.

(I do chase "oldest cache in state".   Only a few of those have been exceptional aside from age, and a few have been dreadful.)

Like others, the direct request for favorites is a mild turn off.  For me, only mild. I've never been solicited for favs, aside from language on the listing.

guard rail (unless it has a breath taking view of the Grand Canyon).

There's a virt on a guard rail on the south rim of the Grand  Canyon ;-)  GCF17A

Edited by Isonzo Karst
  • Upvote 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, speakers-corner said:

I have even given FP's to Caches that I have only solved and not yet found just because the puzzle was good.

log fake find, give point, remove find? (keep find?) what if the cache location/container is bad? 

I've enjoyed puzzles but not the associated cache - in fact, I stopped doing puzzles for years because cache itself was unpleasant, and you can't know that until you've made the solve and hunt effort.

Edited by Isonzo Karst

First of all, your perspective of awarding the owner by giving Favos is just one of many. Refer this thread             to get a glimpse on how different people use them.

I can think of people who just don´t use them at all. It´s just one feedback tool Geocaching provides, but no one has to use it. Do you use the "helpfull" or "great storry" funnction on logs you recive on your caches?

Collecting Favos is a side game some people might play. But if other Geocachers don´t want to play with them, that´s totaly fine.

I for my self never give Favos to PMO caches. No mater how good they are made. Why? cus I´ve choosen to do so for a reason. An no rule tells me how to handle my available Favo points or to handle them at all.

• Upvote 2
10 hours ago, kunarion said:

I don’t expect nor solicit Favorite Points on my caches, but it makes my day when I get one. :P

...or at least when the Find log says it was an especially cool cache.

I have a totally different view on FPs:

FPs are NOT for the cache owner but for my fellow cachers to let them know, I liked the cache and I can recommend it.  One way for them to filter on cache where other think it's worth visiting.

The cache owner gets his award by a nice meaningful cache log where I tell him how I felt, what I liked most, perhaps a very nice location, perhaps a cool cache container I do like and much more.

• Upvote 4
10 hours ago, ecanderson said:

Much easier to reverse the question, since it narrows down the options.

Show me something in a truly unique location, or show me some creativity, or show me some time invested in a design, especially show me something I haven't seen before in the previous 13,000 finds (I still like surprises), and you'll get a favorite point.

I do not get on the bandwagon and give favorite points to caches just because everyone else has. For example, I would not give a favorite to a cache simply because it was an old cache placed in 2001. 

I do give favorites to caches I enjoy finding. This means caches that are hidden in a good location, are creative, and/or are challenging. A good thought out series, not set up as a power trail, sometimes gets a favorite point(s) from me. Needless to say, I have a lot of favorite points left to give since I rarely come across caches with any of these attributes these days.

• Helpful 1

I think the purpose/meaning of FPs to cache owners is as varied as the purpose/meaning of FPs given by geocachers. I think it's risky to assume that because someone enjoyed the cache they would have given a FP, because they might award them for a different reason.

BUT, I have been known to lightly ask on some of mine - but only in instances where 1] their log implies they had a wonderful time, 2] they are a premium member, 3] they haven't added one to the cache for a while since logging it. And then I might send a message thanking them for the visit, happy they enjoyed it, and mentioning that in case they forgot or didn't think of favourite points, perhaps they could award one with their log if they wish, with no obligation to.   I've never been met with a negative reaction to that, and have been retroactively awarded a few points precisely because the loggers didn't think of the FP when posting the log.

I wouldn't say asking for a FP is unilaterally a Bad Thing. But I can certainly understand messages like "Hey can you give me a fav?" or especially "Why didn't you award a fav?" being counter-productive.

• Upvote 1
34 minutes ago, thebruce0 said:

I think the purpose/meaning of FPs to cache owners is as varied as the purpose/meaning of FPs given by geocachers. I think it's risky to assume that because someone enjoyed the cache they would have given a FP, because they might award them for a different reason.

The Favorite Point feature was much requested, a way to "vote" on cool caches.  It's cute and all how these things become "varied".  That is, although it's merely a way to place a Favorite Point on a favorite cache, the Forum as usual fills with proclamations about "Well I Then Do The Opposite".  That's just weird.  Present company excluded, of course. :cute:

https://www.geocaching.com/help/index.php?pg=kb.chapter&id=7&pgid=287

4.7. Favorite points

Geocaching Favorite points are a simple way to track and share the geocaches that you enjoyed the most. Premium members can award Favorite points for
•Interesting or unusual locations.
•Cool hiding places.
•Creative cache container.
•Challenging Mystery Caches.

Edited by kunarion
While typing my post, I was bitten by a duck.
  • Upvote 1
  • Funny 2

Right, the only issue is that because there's no enforcement of "proper favourite point use", practically speaking those guidelines aren't helpful in the slightest at determining a universal meaning of a favourite point. Which is why I said the above :)

The guideline is descriptive, not prescriptive, and not universally applicable.

1 hour ago, kunarion said:

Geocaching Favorite points are a simple way to track and share the geocaches that you enjoyed the most.

So, FP's are a way for me to track those caches that I enjoyed (which I am likely to remember anyway!) and for others to see those that I enjoyed.  They really are not for the cache owner at all - though I admit is IS nice to receive them! 

I've awarded 98 FP's so far, in my 2 1/2 years of geocaching, with 75 yet to award.  I just solved a puzzle that is going to get a favortite point regardless of the container - the puzzle was ingenious!  I have yet to find that puzzle cache - it's been over two years so it will be a lonely find unless someone else gets there first.  Lonely find or not - it's still going to get a favorite because I enjoyed the puzzle so much! (That is, if it is still there after two years!)

5 hours ago, Isonzo Karst said:
7 hours ago, speakers-corner said:

I have even given FP's to Caches that I have only solved and not yet found just because the puzzle was good.

log fake find, give point, remove find? (keep find?) what if the cache location/container is bad? 

I don't see a way to add a FP until I log a find on the cache, unless I'm missing something.  Write note or other logs don't give me that option.

2 hours ago, kunarion said:

Geocaching Favorite points are a simple way to track and share the geocaches that you enjoyed the most.

30 minutes ago, CAVinoGal said:

So, FP's are a way for me to track those caches that I enjoyed (which I am likely to remember anyway!) and for others to see those that I enjoyed. 

They really are not for the cache owner at all - though I admit is IS nice to receive them! 

That's the way we've understood it, when we were given a lot  to start off with.    :)

- And why the first thing we did was place "favorite points" on caches we've done years earlier, with quite a few long-archived.

Somehow a few COs now believe those FPs are for them, not simply because of a cache they've placed.

The op isn't the first person we've seen (directly or not...) ask about FPs on their caches. 

- One even says they only hide caches that are "FP worthy".  Well, that's their opinion, and not necessarily mine .... 

Favorites are whatever your favorite happens to be.   I like pumpkin pie -- some people prefer apple or something else.

I do give favorite points out, but not frequently, and I have lots left if I wanted to give them out.  

For me, it has to be an almost perfect cache -- one strike and you wont get that favorite point.

Good parking nearby.  Possibly noted on the cache page.

A nice walk to the cache, and/or a nice scenic view.

Good container, usually large enough to hold a TB.

Page is well written, D/T/size/attributes are accurate, and hint matches hide.

So for me, that mostly means a nice walk in the woods or a park -- not an urban micro.  I have occasionally given a point to a clever container or hide, but my 'favorites' are really those that meet the criteria above.

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, Mausebiber said:

FPs are NOT for the cache owner but for my fellow cachers to let them know, I liked the cache and I can recommend it. 

One way for them to filter on cache where other think it's worth visiting.

The cache owner gets his award by a nice meaningful cache log where I tell him how I felt, what I liked most, perhaps a very nice location, perhaps a cool cache container I do like and much more.

That's sorta how we see it as well.  :)

There's a cacher I've had issues with (and then some... ;-) ,  yet I place FPs on many of their caches.
The FP is for that cache.  If it was for the person, I'd want change back.    :D

We leave a thoughtful log on all caches, even the ones I feel aren't noteworthy.  We thank everyone.

- If there's such a thing as an award/reward for the CO, it's our logs.

• Upvote 2
6 hours ago, Mudfrog said:

I do not get on the bandwagon and give favorite points to caches just because everyone else has. For example, I would not give a favorite to a cache simply because it was an old cache placed in 2001.

Likewise. When I'm travelling, I'll often target caches with lots of FPs. However, I may discover when I arrive that the cache really isn't all that great, is the same style I've seen many times, is poorly maintained, etc. There are lots of reasons why I might not agree with the assessment of others and will therefore not give it a FP.

Another reason I will not award a FP is when the cache blatantly violates a guideline. For example, if a really clever birdhouse cache with 100 FPs is screwed directly into a tree, it won't get a FP from me. Doing so implicitly condones such behaviour, which is detrimental to the game/hobby/whatever. I've found quite a few caches that would otherwise have earned a FP from me, but pushed the limits too far with the guidelines and put it into the "you shouldn't do this" realm.

• Upvote 4
  • Helpful 1
  • Love 1

I think there are two main reasons people don't assign favorite points even though they really liked the cache:

1. They're protesting the Favorite Points system.

2. They forgot.

I award Favorite Points, although I usually run a surplus of 10-20 at any given time. I've run out, or nearly so, a few times.

To get a FP the cache general needs to bring me somewhere great, especially that I was unaware of without geocaching, and/or be in some way really creative. However, there are several factors which will cause me to withhold FP. It's almost impossible to get a FP from me for a pill bottle, magkey, film can, or the like. Ditto a cache in need of maintenance, a cache violating or seemingly deliberately skirting Guidelines, or a boring location. The best puzzle in the world that turns out to be a skirt-lifer in a Walmart parking lot is not getting a FP unless there's something really creative about it.

One thing that also hurts Favorite Points for me is, ironically, too much of a good thing. Given the same trail, I would certainly prefer 10 ammo cans to 10 bison tubes, but there's no cache I'm giving 10 FPs. I simply don't have enough of them to give to every good cache, and none of the 10 caches probably stands out from the others. I certainly prefer 10 cans to 10 bisons, but the FPs and even the logs probably won't reflect that. The real difference is than I would skip the 10 bisons entirely while 10 cans increase my chances of making the hike. Or if the trail has 5 cans and 5 bisons there's a high chance I only find the cans and skip the others.

I would love a system that retains Favorite points to highlight the best of the best, but also offers every Find the option of a simple thumbs up/down.

• Upvote 2
17 hours ago, Goldenwattle said:

I give favourite points for a variety of reasons; the location; the imaginative cache; one cache gets a favourite point for the whole series; the CO gave some assistance; it's the only cache for a hundred or so kms and I'm grateful it's there even if it's only a boring mintie tin...

That's a curious reason to give a Favorite Point.

11 hours ago, Isonzo Karst said:

I've enjoyed puzzles but not the associated cache - in fact, I stopped doing puzzles for years because cache itself was unpleasant, and you can't know that until you've made the solve and hunt effort.

Ditto. Lots of fun puzzles in boring urban parking lots.

4 hours ago, fuzziebear3 said:

Favorites are whatever your favorite happens to be.   I like pumpkin pie -- some people prefer apple or something else.

I do give favorite points out, but not frequently, and I have lots left if I wanted to give them out.  

For me, it has to be an almost perfect cache -- one strike and you wont get that favorite point.

Good parking nearby.  Possibly noted on the cache page.

A nice walk to the cache, and/or a nice scenic view.

Good container, usually large enough to hold a TB.

Page is well written, D/T/size/attributes are accurate, and hint matches hide.

So for me, that mostly means a nice walk in the woods or a park -- not an urban micro.  I have occasionally given a point to a clever container or hide, but my 'favorites' are really those that meet the criteria above.

I like your checklist. 

My FP checklist is similar:

• Swag-size--the owner appears to place and maintain something meant to entertain most geocachers (not just those looking for a +1).
  • Good container that's meant to keep the contents dry, and looks like it's occasionally checked and maintained.
  • When I get to ground zero I want it to be a pleasant location (just pleasant is enough for me). 
  • Container large enough for stuff, because I like the anticipation of discovering what's inside. And I like leaving stuff. 
  • I want the owner to be active--I want to feel that I'm communicating with him/her and he/she is reading my appreciation for their efforts. 
Edited by L0ne.R
typo
  • Upvote 2

I see it as a 1 in 10 award to give out, so don't need to have my hair blown back *that* much to award one. I also keep a few in the bank so I can give them out pretty freely if needed (10-20). I do expect the owner to be active, and the cache to be maintained. I tend to give one to a series at a lower threshold than for a single cache. If I see someone boasting on facebook that they hardly give them out and they have 500 left, then I just might hang onto mine when logging their caches too.....

1 hour ago, L0ne.R said:

My FP checklist is similar:

• Swag-size--the owner appears to place and maintain something meant to entertain most geocachers (not just those looking for a +1).
  • Good container that's meant to keep the contents dry, and looks like it's occasionally checked and maintained.
  • When I get to ground zero I want it to be a pleasant location (just pleasant is enough for me). 
  • Container large enough for stuff, because I like the anticipation of discovering what's inside. And I like leaving stuff. 
  • I want the owner to be active--I want to feel that I'm communicating with him/her and he/she is reading my appreciation for their efforts. 

Interesting, because I don't think any of those things are likely to be factored into my FPs.

• swag - I'm not into swag and even if I see something that takes my fancy in a cache, I'll leave it there because I won't have anything to swap for it.
  • container - as long as I'm able to sign the log, I don't pay much attention to the container, although a themed container might help nudge a cache over the FP line if the rest of the experience was good. Most of my favourites are bushland hides with containers well-suited to their environments so they don't need regular checking and maintenance.
  • pleasant location - I've given FPs on caches where GZ was decidedly unpleasant for me, usually because it pushed me well outside my comfort zone. But they're ones I'm glad I plucked up the courage to do and survived to tell the tale, something I'll be able to tell the staff in the nursing home about in twenty years time.
  • active owner - a lot of the caches around here now have inactive owners so I guess in many of my logs I'm really only talking to myself and future seekers, but it's not something that I'm likely to think about either when doing the cache or deciding whether or not to award an FP.

My FPs generally come from the overall experience, starting from an enticing cache page, any puzzles that need to be solved, a challenging and/or interesting journey to GZ, even companionship along the way, and, afterwards, a feeling of "wow, that was a great experience!". Quite often I know just from reading the cache page that, if I find it, it'll be getting an FP for sure.

So I'm sure few of your favourites would get FPs from me and few of my favourites would get FPs from you, but that's great because variety is the spice of caching :).

2 hours ago, JL_HSTRE said:
20 hours ago, Goldenwattle said:

the CO gave some assistance; it's the only cache for a hundred or so kms and I'm grateful it's there even if it's only a boring mintie tin...

It's saying thank you, although I wouldn't give it if I found the cache and log needed maintenance. I think it's no less weird than giving a random cache in a series a favourite point for the series. Giving favourite points is a personal thing.

1 hour ago, barefootjeff said:

swag - I'm not into swag and even if I see something that takes my fancy in a cache, I'll leave it there because I won't have anything to swap for it.

I don't swap swag either, but I do place out a lot of trinkets. Jewellery and small, plastic dolls house furniture at present. Because I so rarely take anything from a cache, but often add a trinket, if on some rare occasion I do see something I want, but that day don't have my bag of jewellery with me to swap for it, I tend to just take it. After all I have left a lot of nice things in caches without having taken anything in  return. The jewellery I am leaving at present goes from so-so to very nice. (I got a nice thank you email from one person who found one of the nicer pieces. They were excited to find it.)

• Upvote 1
5 hours ago, bflentje said:

These are my numbers..

Favorite Points: 1510
Awarded Points: 689
Remaining Points: 821

I am not stingy but only award them to caches that deserve it. One thing is for sure, some of you above ^^^ sure seem angry about the awarding of points.

No shame in that. It would be silly to assume exactly 10 % of your finds are worthy of FP. It's just a number they draw out of the hat. Any cacher that has some principle to award FPs either has lots in stock or is always running out of points.

I'm not fan of the FP system and also find it misleading sometimes. Of course, there's correlation between quality and fp score, but I think the caches a like tend to have a few but not too many FPs. My main (and possibly only) reason for not awarding Fp to cache I like is forgetting or "not thinking about it".

I believed I had not given many Favorite Points and I am a bit surprised now by the fact that I have already awarded 168 out of my 278... :rolleyes:

BTW giving a Favorite Point to a cache means building your Favorite List. I prefer more this "building my Favorite List" point of view than giving an FP to someone. So I give FPs to caches that were somehow exceptional to ME in terms of experience. It may even be an ordinary lamp post micro if I met an awesome fellow cacher while searching for it. I know I'll be able to find out why I gave a particular cache an FP when I read my log there. At the same time, there are caches I awarded maximum of 5 stars in GCVote (they were objectively perfect and I wanted to recommend them to others) but not an FP. They just missed that "something" for me.

That's why I don't remove Favorite Points from archived caches. I don't need to, my experience will never get archived. :)

• Upvote 2
15 hours ago, fuzziebear3 said:

Page is well written, D/T/size/attributes are accurate, and hint matches hide

Ah yes. I recently cached all day, and found ONE cache of 20 or so where the page was a  match for the cache.  Caches were about half new and about half older.  The new caches all suffered from ratings inflation (grid candy, fake ratings for fake stats) and zero write up. Of the new  a couple were well done in terms of using the landscape well, nice custom camo, all had quality containers (all micro - some called small), and all had sharp coords, something i appreciate in a hide.

I don't object to micro containers per se, and will  give a fav to a micro as readily as a regular.

• Upvote 1
17 hours ago, CAVinoGal said:

I don't see a way to add a FP until I log a find on the cache, unless I'm missing something.  Write note or other logs don't give me that option.

Odd, I thought I remembered giving a FP for cache that I DNFed, but on checking, you're right:  Adding a fave is not available for any log other than Found It. Hmmmm.

Oh, hold up!  By opting out of the "new logging experience", I see that in the old logging style, it is an option to add a FP for logs other than Found It.

On 11/19/2019 at 5:39 AM, Mockingbird559 said:

I don't automatically consider one cache out of every ten as my "favorite," just because I get a favorite point for every 10 finds.

Sometimes I come across a whole string of caches that I'd consider my favorite.  Sometimes I go weeks at a time without awarding a favorite point.  They also came out after I'd been caching for a while, and while I did try to go back and give out FPs to the deserving caches I could remember, I'm sure I missed some.

I've handed out 555 so far, which works out to about 1 FP handed out every 17.3 caches.  So far, I'm comfortable with that.

On 11/19/2019 at 5:39 AM, Mockingbird559 said:

If that's the case, then such behavior is disappointing, in more ways than one. 

I'll use FPs as a guide, and when I agree that a given cache is worth the hype, I will often (in my non copy paste log) comment that I am adding another well deserved favorite point to the pile.  

• Upvote 1

On 11/19/2019 at 1:10 AM, Goldenwattle said:

I give favourite points for a variety of reasons; the location; the imaginative cache; one cache gets a favourite point for the whole series; the CO gave some assistance; it's the only cache for a hundred or so kms and I'm grateful it's there even if it's only a boring mintie tin...

12 hours ago, JL_HSTRE said:

Not so curious to me.  That may well be "above and beyond" the normal expectations for some, making the experience a positive and lasting one.

10 minutes ago, hzoi said:

I don't automatically consider one cache out of every ten as my "favorite," just because I get a favorite point for every 10 finds.

Sometimes I come across a whole string of caches that I'd consider my favorite.  Sometimes I go weeks at a time without awarding a favorite point. 

Same here. I have 285 remaining to give out and it can take time before there's a cache I'll give a FP  but we have done series of unique caches where we gave a FP to all of them.

13 minutes ago, Isonzo Karst said:

Only on caches where you have already logged a find. You cannot add a favorite to an unfound cache. Never have been able to.

Ok, the check-box is there; it just doesn't register.  Sorry ... add this to the long list of my Old Fart moments.  :rolleyes:

I've marked 432 caches as favorites. I have 775 favorite points not yet doled out. Frankly, I don't consider 1 out of 10 caches favorite worthy and that's why I have a lot available. I'll give a favorite point when I consider a cache special, whether that be the location, the journey to the location, or the cache itself. Some caches are in poor condition, so they disqualify themselves even though the location and journey were fun and special. Sometimes I just forget to give a favorite point. Sometimes I go back and reward them later on when I have time to reflect and realize that that cache really is a favorite.

Interestingly enough, a lot of the caches I see with a high number of favorite points are past their prime and are now trash and should be archived.

• Upvote 1
25 minutes ago, Corfman Clan said:

Interestingly enough, a lot of the caches I see with a high number of favorite points are past their prime and are now trash and should be archived.

I see that a  lot too. Some older caches have lots of FPs because the original cache was fun. Fast forward a few years and the plush dog chew toy is now tattered, wet and moldy, with a  logsheet to match.  It hasn't been given a favorite point in the 18 months.

I would like to see a 5-year bar graph in the Favorites drop menu. 

bargraph.jpg.055c1f827fc3151354ef538bc1f19bf9.jpg

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, L0ne.R said:

I would like to see a 5-year bar graph in the Favorites drop menu. 

bargraph.jpg.055c1f827fc3151354ef538bc1f19bf9.jpg

I don't know how effective that would be. I've just done such a plot for one of my caches old enough to have five years' worth of FPs (GC62WZJ):

image.png.e1ca87cee42bc5561129e25c7ade2755.png

By your reasoning, that cache must be well past its prime now and just about ready for the Grim Reaper reviewer to strike, but, well, when last I checked a couple of months ago it looked like this:

DSC_0130.jpg.2c0217595577680fd834354d71097e8e.jpg

Okay, the clasp is showing a little surface rust and parts of the decoration on the box are fading, but I think it's still fairly serviceable. The reason for the fall-off in FPs is simply due to a corresponding drop in finds, as most of the locals who want to find it did so in the first two or three years and all it gets now are occasional out-of-town visitors with the time and resources to do it (two of the waypoints are boat-access).

• Upvote 1