Introducing 3, 2, 1 Go! (Souvenir)

Max and 99

Introducing 3, 2, 1, Go! souvenir

Introducing 3, 2, 1 Go!

Introducing a brand new kind of souvenir challenge. Starting December 11, get ready for a three week challenge of geocaching two times per week to earn one special souvenir! It’s the final countdown to 2020 so finish the year strong! The sooner you start, the more likely you’ll be to succeed. Are you ready?

It’s as easy as 1, 2, 3!

• 3 weeks: December 11, 2019 – January 1, 2020.
  • 2 cache outings per week: Find a geocache on 2 different days each week.
  • 1 souvenir: Earn a souvenir if you geocache two days per week December 11 –  January 1.

You can find answers to some of your frequently asked questions below.

3, 2, 1 Go! FAQ: 

What is a geocaching outing?

An outing is any single day where you logged a geocache, an Adventure Lab Cache, or attended an Event Cache. 3, 2, 1 Go! requires you to go on at least six geocaching outings between December 11 through January 1. You can go for six days in a row or two times per week, the choice is yours!

How can I earn the 3,2,1 Go! souvenir?

Log a geocache, an Adventure lab, or attend an Event Cache on at least six separate days from December 11 through January 1. 

Do Adventure finds count?

Yes. Download the Adventure Lab app to find an Adventure near you.

Do I have to log my finds by January 1, 2020?

No. As long as you went geocaching and found a cache or attended an Event at least six times from December 11 to January 1 you will be awarded the souvenir as soon as you log all finds online.

I'm confused about something.

12 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:
  • 2 cache outings per week: Find a geocache on 2 different days each week.
  • 1 souvenir: Earn a souvenir if you geocache two days per week December 11 –  January 1.

13 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

You can go for six days in a row or two times per week, the choice is yours!

Maybe I'm just misdunderstanding, but if I have to geocache two days per week for the duration of the promotion, how can I accomplish that by geocaching six days in a row?

30 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

Maybe I'm just misdunderstanding, but if I have to geocache two days per week for the duration of the promotion, how can I accomplish that by geocaching six days in a row?

That was asked in the "comments" section as well. 

HQ said, "You can go geocaching any 6 days in the 3 week period from December 11 through January 1."

I didn't feel that helped.    :)

Seems a forum regular agreed, saying, "In that case, please update the post to remove the requirement to find two caches in each week. "

There's still a few weeks to get it figured out...

6 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

That was asked in the "comments" section as well. 

HQ said, "You can go geocaching any 6 days in the 3 week period from December 11 through January 1."

I didn't feel that helped.    :)

Seems a forum regular agreed, saying, "In that case, please update the post to remove the requirement to find two caches in each week. "

There's still a few weeks to get it figured out...

Ahhh, now there are comments. There weren't any when I first posted this question.

They really need to clarify the requirement and remove the confusing statement.

Yep. 3..2..1..go feels more like a gimmick when they merely allow you to find caches for any 6 days in that 3 week period.

"Hey '3 2 1 go' sounds cool!"

"But that would be too hard and restrictive to cache twice for each of 3 weeks"

"Hmm, ok, let's just allow them to do it any time then!"

"Do it!"

=/

At any rate, I'm sure I'll qualify in 2nd, if not the first week.

1 hour ago, thebruce0 said:

Yep. 3..2..1..go feels more like a gimmick when they merely allow you to find caches for any 6 days in that 3 week period.

"Hey '3 2 1 go' sounds cool!"

"But that would be too hard and restrictive to cache twice for each of 3 weeks"

"Hmm, ok, let's just allow them to do it any time then!"

"Do it!"

=/

At any rate, I'm sure I'll qualify in 2nd, if not the first week.

For someone in full-time work who can only go out caching at weekends, it would mean caching every Saturday and Sunday during the period so it's perhaps not quite that trivial, although there are some public holidays in there as well.

I do like that there's no incentive to find multiple caches in a day so it doesn't discriminate against the longer hiking caches like some of the previous promotions did.

Edit to add: Looking at my logs, I've gone out caching on six days in the last three weeks so if it had been on now I'd have just scraped in :).

Edited by barefootjeff
4 hours ago, Kalkendotters said:

No; the only rule is:

3, 2, 1 Go! requires you to go on at least six geocaching outings between December 11 through January 1

So the 2-item is invalid. Thus it should be more like: 6,3,1,go

(can we make even better mistakes ...)

How about 3, 2 (average), 1, Go!

• Funny 1
15 hours ago, barefootjeff said:

For someone in full-time work who can only go out caching at weekends, it would mean caching every Saturday and Sunday during the period so it's perhaps not quite that trivial

Well yes, for anyone who can't make every day of the 3 weeks a caching day it's going to be harder than for anyone who can use any of the 21 days towards the challenge. And it'll be impossible for anyone who only has 1 free day to find caches (or none!). Or for anyone with fewer than 6 caches to find in reasonable distance. Since every souvenir is subjectively "difficult" some some segment of the global community, that wasn't really the point...

To qualify my own comment, I generally only go geocaching on weekends as well, as I have a full time job and most evenings are booked. But I've been working on date-found calendar grid challenges recently and prioritizing caching on specific mid-week days so I don't have to wait a year again. Thus, while I haven't looked yet, I'll likely qualify for it by the 2nd week if not the first. And I'm also fortunate as I still have a couple hundred still in my general region (w/in 30-40min drive) that I haven't found, as we have a very active geocaching community here.

(* also note I didn't make any comment about whether I thought this challenge was too easy or too hard, which I typically do =P)

Edited by thebruce0
8 minutes ago, Twinklekitkat said:

Anyone know if there will be some sort of area on your dashboard where you can verify your days were counted and how many are remaining?

I know, it's not difficult to keep track on your own but there are those cases where the promo doesn't always work as planned from the get go.

In cases that there were problems, the site has (by what I've seen...)  provided means for folks to get their issue resolved for their souvenir(s). 

I agree, six caches isn't that difficult to keep track on your own.    :)

On 11/13/2019 at 12:12 AM, Max and 99 said:

So if I time it right, I can find 2 of the 6 caches on days I will get two other souvenirs (last day of 2019 and first day of 2020). 

I have been to busy with work to notice, has first/last been announced for this coming end of the year. is this promo a 'new' version of first/last? either way i am glad, tomorrow is the GIFF event that I am going to attend, and will be the first caching since the earthcache day, and the streak week. Loved that promo.

On 11/12/2019 at 11:12 PM, Max and 99 said:

So if I time it right, I can find 2 of the 6 caches on days I will get two other souvenirs (last day of 2019 and first day of 2020). 

2 hours ago, spotter/g said:

I have been to busy with work to notice, has first/last been announced for this coming end of the year. is this promo a 'new' version of first/last? either way i am glad, tomorrow is the GIFF event that I am going to attend, and will be the first caching since the earthcache day, and the streak week. Loved that promo.

I'm 99% sure this is in addition to, not a replacement for the end of year/beginning of year souvenirs.

26 minutes ago, barnold said:

So, go caching for six days. Suppose that you go for a long hike with a difficult cache at the end and that unluckily you do not find it.

It was a great day caching, but at the end a DNF log. Does that qualify?

At the end of the FAQ, it says:

As long as you went geocaching and found a cache or attended an Event at least six times from December 11 to January 1 you will be awarded the souvenir as soon as you log all finds online.

So I guess DNFs don't count. Better have that PAF ready and waiting for your call.

37 minutes ago, Max and 99 said:

I think the notice I got on my app today is misleading. I showed it to someone unfamiliar with the specifics of the souvenir promotion, and they thought they only had to find two geocaches this week to earn the souvenir, and that this was the third week of the three week promotion.

Screenshot_20191211-194841.png

Yeah, I just got the same notification. It's Thursday today and I went out caching yesterday and this morning, so where's my souvenir?

I got the same notification, and did a double take - I get a/the souvenir if I cache 2 times this week?  I don't really think that's how it will work, but going out to find a cache on two different days will keep me on track to earn the souvenir (I tihnk there is only one souvenir for this whole thing, right?)  If I cache every day this week, will I get it even tho the promo is not over?  I've already missed today, I may go find one tomorrow.

I will likely only get this by sheer coincidence if I get it at all.  My understanding is 6 separate days of cache finds over the next 3 weeks, whether it's a streak of 6 days, or scattered over the three weeks.  But the promo info is confusing.

9 minutes ago, JoJoUK said:

Does that mean I have to cache again before Sun/ Mon

Directly from HQ:

3, 2, 1 Go! requires you to go on at least six geocaching outings between December 11 through January 1. You can go geocaching for any six days during the three weeks, or two times per week, the choice is yours!

12 hours ago, Max and 99 said:

I think the notice I got on my app today is misleading. I showed it to someone unfamiliar with the specifics of the souvenir promotion, and they thought they only had to find two geocaches this week to earn the souvenir, and that this was the third week of the three week promotion.

Screenshot_20191211-194841.png

I see  "2 outings in 3 weeks, get 1 souvenir" and, "geocache two days this week to earn the souvenir" as the same.

- This was supposed to be a three-week promotion with 6 outings.     "Week three is here !" tells me this is the final week.

Wonder how many people are confused as heck now...

Edited by cerberus1
ern
  • Upvote 1
42 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

I see  "2 outings in 3 weeks, get 1 souvenir" and, "geocache two days this week to earn the souvenir" as the same.

Better wording would be "2 outings in each of 3 weeks..." but that doesn't sound as fun. "3 weeks, 2 outings each week..." is better.  The 2/3/1 is awkward.

Even so, it's "6 outings in 3 weeks for 1 souvenir" :tongue:

Possibly, though often the souvenir appearing lags 24 hours or so of the qualifying log(s).

QUOTE: "....six geocaching outings between December 11 through January 1. "

As stated, it's hard to know for sure that Dec 11 is or is not  part of the period.  I believe that it is not.

Inclusive would mean finds of Dec 11 through Jan 1 - which is 22 days, so likely "between" applies  to Dec 11 - meaning that the 3 week period actually started Dec 12. Dec 17 would be the first day where someone could have 6 days of finds within the designated period.

I hope whoever wrote this never submits a challenge cache, they require that the challenge,  "be simple, and easy to explain, follow and document."

I'd state it as,  "6 days of finds beginning  on Dec 12 through end of Jan 1"  <- I believe that's correct.

edited to note that I posted this on 16 Dec 14:30 GMT

Edited by Isonzo Karst
  • Upvote 2

I think it's inclusive, because they're providing special Jan 1 events and I assume they'd want to let people include that in their qualification (which of course assumes they haven't already qualified with only 5 other cache-found days in almost a month.  Dec 11 is an odd start date, but including Jan 1 makes sense, imo.

Except that 12/11 to 1/1 inclusive is 22 days, so *1* day over an even 3 weeks. Which is even odder. But I think it would make more sense to have 21 days of December +Jan 1, than Dec 12-Jan 1 +Dec 11 (or 20 days if it's not inclusive).

In short, "3 weeks" being 22 days as Dec 11-31 +Jan 1 (inclusive of both dates) makes the most sense to me.

1 hour ago, Isonzo Karst said:

QUOTE: "....six geocaching outings between December 11 through January 1. "

As stated, it's hard to know for sure that Dec 11 is or is not  part of the period.  I believe that it is not.

31 minutes ago, thebruce0 said:

I think it's inclusive, because they're providing special Jan 1 events and I assume they'd want to let people include that in their qualification (which of course assumes they haven't already qualified with only 5 other cache-found days in almost a month.  Dec 11 is an odd start date, but including Jan 1 makes sense, imo.

Except that 12/11 to 1/1 inclusive is 22 days, so *1* day over an even 3 weeks. Which is even odder. But I think it would make more sense to have 21 days of December +Jan 1, than Dec 12-Jan 1 +Dec 11 (or 20 days if it's not inclusive).

In short, "3 weeks" being 22 days as Dec 11-31 +Jan 1 (inclusive of both dates) makes the most sense to me.

Looks like I'm gonna have to find an "extra" day JIC, in-between this sleet n carp we're getting every-other day, I guess.  :D 

I took the odd timeframe simply to include the "goodbye/hello" souvenirs. 

On 11/12/2019 at 12:16 PM, Max and 99 said:

OK, so if I'm understanding correctly, If my friends and I (WildSpirit-Wolf, FlyBoy7292) go out on each Monday and Tuesday (our only days off from work) and find at least 2 (or more) caches each week, then we can get the Souvenir, right?

Edited by AeroMechAZ
mis-spelled word
13 minutes ago, AeroMechAZ said:

OK, so if I'm understanding correctly, If my friends and I (WildSpirit-Wolf, FlyBoy7292) go out on each Monday and Tuesday (our only days off from work) and find at least 2 (or more) caches each week, then we can get the Souvenir, right?

If those days are between Dec. 11 and Jan. 1, then yes. 6 different outings are required. 

• Upvote 1
11 hours ago, Harry Dolphin said:

Got my souvenir today!

14 hours ago, mustakorppi said:

I got it today after logging my find for the day.

Thanks y'all for confirming that 6+ days of finds are all that's required and the 2 days per week isn't set in stone.  I wasn't going to fret about this souvenir if I didn't get it - I did not bother trying to get the 7 day streak souvenir earlier, I just don't have that kind of flexibility during the work week - but it looks like I'll have a shot.

22 hours ago, AeroMechAZ said:

I dont think so.  You must find at least one cache on each of those six days.  Finding two on Monday and getting shut out on Tuesday won't do it for you.  Don't think caches found, think days on which caches are found.

3 hours ago, rosebud55112 said:

I dont think so.  You must find at least one cache on each of those six days.  Finding two on Monday and getting shut out on Tuesday won't do it for you.  Don't think caches found, think days on which caches are found.

You are correct! Six different days of caches found.