Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
WEST-MURKLE-MAN

how do I transfer a cache ownership?

Recommended Posts

On 11/11/2019 at 6:49 PM, cerberus1 said:

Adopt a geocache , as seen in the Help Center.  :)

We've seen people having luck with folks interested, simply by adding it to the cache description, asking in faceboook, or even the UK forums.

 

Correct! However, there are some caches that you can't adopt, most notably virtuals. But ordinary caches, trads, mysts and multis, etc, can be adopted.

 

Really nice and popular caches are good candidates for adoption. Also, caches in areas with few caches. Ordinary caches in saturated areas, I would just archive and bring in, leaving the location for someone who can use it better than me. You decide.

 

I have adopted something like three caches (plus two that I made for a mega event that was really made by me in the first place so the adoption was planned beforehand). Apart from the mega caches, I can't say I am very happy about doing so. Yes, I do maintain them, but if they are not popular, they feel like a burden (should I waste time on maintaining a cache that isn't popular?), and since they are not made by me, I am not likely to prioritize them.

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, Ragnemalm said:

I have adopted something like three caches (plus two that I made for a mega event that was really made by me in the first place so the adoption was planned beforehand). Apart from the mega caches, I can't say I am very happy about doing so. Yes, I do maintain them, but if they are not popular, they feel like a burden (should I waste time on maintaining a cache that isn't popular?), and since they are not made by me, I am not likely to prioritize them

 

I adopted two old caches (circa 2005) about eighteen months ago but one of them is a bit too popular for my liking. The area around GZ has become a tourist hotspot and is constantly teaming with muggles, and some of the finders seem to struggle with the concept of putting the cache back the way you found it, which has resulted in a muggling and a couple of cracked containers. I've now resorted to putting a laminated card under the cache saying "put it back here and cover with the big flat rock", so I'll see how that goes over the summer holidays. But if the opportunity were to arise, I'd happily offload those two onto someone else.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 11/11/2019 at 12:38 PM, WEST-MURKLE-MAN said:

How do I transfer ownership of a cache to someone else who can look after it better than I can ?

 

I just want to add to this...you can also consider archiving the cache and let the person who was going to adopt it...submit for publish a new cache in the same location. We did that with a few caches. The old caches were getting muggled and were not very active with geocachers because everyone had found them it seemed in the surrounding area lol. Now we have new caches that old cachers can find and add to their smilies. They are very active. We also made them premiums to cut down on them being muggled. 

  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post

I wish I could put my virtual up for adoption, but that seems not to be possible. I am not very interested in it any more.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Ragnemalm said:

I wish I could put my virtual up for adoption, but that seems not to be possible. I am not very interested in it any more.

That's a clever virtual you have!

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
20 hours ago, Ragnemalm said:

I wish I could put my virtual up for adoption, but that seems not to be possible. I am not very interested in it any more.

 

Really?  It's less than three months old and only has 51 finds, and you're already bored with it?  That's really unfortunate.  I imagine there are hundreds of geocachers that would have loved the chance to place a virtual cache that would be enduringly meaningful to them.

 

I have yet to select a location for our virtual reward.  I will take this as a good cautionary tale on making sure one picks the right spot.

Edited by hzoi
  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/15/2020 at 5:40 PM, hzoi said:

 

Really?  It's less than three months old and only has 51 finds, and you're already bored with it?  That's really unfortunate. I imagine there are hundreds of geocachers that would have loved the chance to place a virtual cache that would be enduringly meaningful to them.

 

It is Sweden's second worst, in Wilson score. I thought it was funny and different, but seeing it in the absolute bottom, that means it was not a good idea at all and not fun. 51 finds is more than enough to be statistically significant. It is less popular than count-windows-virtuals! I want to make caches that visitors like.

 

It is really hard to know what will be popular and what will not. Mine is probably too easy, since I was not allowed to demand what I wanted to make it interesting. My guess is that you need to make it really long with multiple (interesting?) locations to make it popular.

  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Ragnemalm said:

 

It is Sweden's second worst, in Wilson score. I thought it was funny and different, but seeing it in the absolute bottom, that means it was not a good idea at all and not fun. 51 finds is more than enough to be statistically significant. It is less popular than count-windows-virtuals! I want to make caches that visitors like.

 

It is really hard to know what will be popular and what will not. Mine is probably too easy, since I was not allowed to demand what I wanted to make it interesting. My guess is that you need to make it really long with multiple (interesting?) locations to make it popular.

 

You've had 53 finds in three months and some even gave it FPs - if it was one of my caches I'd think it was doing very well. My most recent hide, also published about three months ago, has only had two finders. Which is worse, people finding it but not giving it FPs (which is what the Wilson score is based on) or having no-one wanting to do it? You can never please everyone and if you try to do so, you'll end up pleasing no-one. I've enjoyed all the new virtuals I've done but have only favourited a few of those, as I'm always running out of FPs and can only award them to those caches I find exceptionally appealing. People with different tastes to mine will choose quite different caches to favourite.

  • Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Ragnemalm said:

 

It is Sweden's second worst, in Wilson score. I thought it was funny and different, but seeing it in the absolute bottom, that means it was not a good idea at all and not fun. 51 finds is more than enough to be statistically significant. It is less popular than count-windows-virtuals! I want to make caches that visitors like.

 

It is really hard to know what will be popular and what will not. Mine is probably too easy, since I was not allowed to demand what I wanted to make it interesting. My guess is that you need to make it really long with multiple (interesting?) locations to make it popular.

I liked it, sounded like fun. Sadly I'm not close enough to do it.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, colleda said:

I liked it, sounded like fun. Sadly I'm not close enough to do it.

 

Thanks! Sorry for whining, I am tired. Much work.

 

The Wilson score is my measure of popularity (together with nice logs), not the number of finds. I would rather want to make caches that are not necessarily found often but are entertaining than dull ones that are just yet another find among many. No, I don't mind that others go for quantity, that's their preference and diversity is an important strength of this hobby.

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, Ragnemalm said:

 

Thanks! Sorry for whining, I am tired. Much work.

 

The Wilson score is my measure of popularity (together with nice logs), not the number of finds. I would rather want to make caches that are not necessarily found often but are entertaining than dull ones that are just yet another find among many. No, I don't mind that others go for quantity, that's their preference and diversity is an important strength of this hobby.

 

My cache with the lowest Wilson score is GC6647D (1.91%). It's had 38 finds since I hid it in 2015 and received only 2 FPs, so nowhere near as popular as your virtual, but it gets some nice logs like this one:

 

Quote

My first in the dark creatures of Patonga series. What a great cache!! I improved the experience further (in my humble opinion) by going there by SUP. It was very low tide though so ran aground a few times as I paddled up the creek. Startled a ray at one point and thought he was going to jump on my board. When I finally found it (GPS skipping around)... Ha ha, love it! TFTC. You've really nailed this area!

 

It's one I'm quite fond of, located in what I think is an interesting spot with a themed container designed to give a chuckle, and has never needed any maintenance (other than replacing a missing pencil) in the five years it's been there. It's provided some happiness and entertainment for the locals and visitors to the area, so what more can one ask? I'd much rather find a cache like this than a needle-in-a-haystack micro in muggle central with a weather-beaten container and soggy log.

 

Caching isn't meant to be a competition, for hiders or finders, and in any measure someone's always going to be first and someone else last, but does it really matter? Just putting a smile on someone's face is reward enough.

Edited by barefootjeff
  • Upvote 4
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
14 hours ago, barefootjeff said:

My cache with the lowest Wilson score is GC6647D (1.91%). It's had 38 finds since I hid it in 2015 and received only 2 FPs, so nowhere near as popular as your virtual, but it gets some nice logs like this one:

It's one I'm quite fond of, located in what I think is an interesting spot with a themed container designed to give a chuckle, and has never needed any maintenance (other than replacing a missing pencil) in the five years it's been there. It's provided some happiness and entertainment for the locals and visitors to the area, so what more can one ask? I'd much rather find a cache like this than a needle-in-a-haystack micro in muggle central with a weather-beaten container and soggy log.

 

Caching isn't meant to be a competition, for hiders or finders, and in any measure someone's always going to be first and someone else last, but does it really matter? Just putting a smile on someone's face is reward enough.

 

Nice logs do count in the cache's favor, but they are harder to quantify. It isn't a competition, but the FPs is the only measure I have of whether a cache is enjoyable or not, which is important. Also, as CO I judge some of my caches as good even of the ratings are not so good. But I often question them and try to improve them. Why are they less popular, what can I do about it?

 

And then, of course, there are many inofficial competitions, like FTFs, most founds, challenges etc. But there are so many things you can have as speciality, so we can all make our own niche.

Edited by Ragnemalm

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1

×
×
  • Create New...