How to Construct a 'Duolocation' Multi-cache?

christyotwisty

I've seen two of these, and logged one, but want to know how to create one perfectly. I have a willing geocaching partner in another area and a theme in mind, I'm using this post to "think aloud" and ask for suggestions and constructive critiques.

She'd create a companion/complementary multi for her city too, I gather.

Our WP1 or starting coordinates would contain offsets or coordinates to give to the finder's 'remote partner', or some trivia question about the remote location that gives the numbers needed for the offset. The remote partner would go to WP2  to find the offset or coordinates to help the local cacher to get to WP3.

Repeat for n number of waypoints until completion,

Is that the basic procedure or recipe for success?

One logistics complication is my remote partner for creating this is on an island that has "real" (i.e. snow for months) winter, and I'm where winter usually is one to six snowfalls that last for less than a day.

Another is, as one'd expect from the first complication, the matter of population in the remote community. The cachers there would likely be approached more than once  by my local cachers, but would receive a smiley for their location's multi only once. In that case, is the optimal solution for contacting us, the cache owners and devisers for coordinates as a last resort, or should we raise the difficulty and/or terrain as recognition that these caches have limitations and restrictions?

Can be done with one little shortfall:

If the final is in your location, your partner has to come to sign the logbook, if the final is at the remote location, you would have to go there to sign the logbook.

2.23. Teamwork caches

Teamwork caches are created cooperatively by two owners from different areas. They encourage two geocachers to work together to find a cache in the different areas. Geocachers trade information that  leads each to the final container in their own area.

Each teamwork cache must

• Have the Teamwork Cache attribute. Teamwork attribute
  • Be owned and maintained by a local geocacher.
  • Be placed in a region where there is a reasonable number of local geocachers, so there will be plenty of partners for everyone.
  • Have at least one additional stage with information needed to find the partner cache.
  • Have all of its stages (including posted and final coordinates) in the same area.

As a geocacher, you should not sign the name of your teamwork partner in the log of your local cache. You can only claim a find if you visit the cache yourself.

Edited by Mausebiber
  • Upvote 1
  • Helpful 2
34 minutes ago, christyotwisty said:

One logistics complication is my remote partner for creating this is on an island that has "real" (i.e. snow for months) winter, and I'm where winter usually is one to six snowfalls that last for less than a day.

Another is, as one'd expect from the first complication, the matter of population in the remote community. The cachers there would likely be approached more than once  by my local cachers, but would receive a smiley for their location's multi only once. In that case, is the optimal solution for contacting us, the cache owners and devisers for coordinates as a last resort, or should we raise the difficulty and/or terrain as recognition that these caches have limitations and restrictions?

Please explain.  What's the issue of only receiving one smiley ?  Thanks.  :)   

You can't claim even one find on your own cache, so guess I'm not really sure what your issue is.  Piggy-backing someone else's caches ?

Mausebiber is correct if you're planning a cache finds scheme,  by offering  caches to "log that smiley..."  that people never went to. 

We used to see a lot of those in the "all nations" forum.  When I'd ask what they meant, most clammed up, so we kinda know what's up.  ;)

Enough reports and issues with guidelines that this is now explained in the Help Center. 

• Upvote 1
53 minutes ago, christyotwisty said:

I have a willing geocaching partner in another area and a theme in mind, I'm using this post to "think aloud" and ask for suggestions and constructive critiques.

She'd create a companion/complementary multi for her city too, I gather.

I've done one of these, kind of as an experiment because I haven't seen any others locally!  I have a multi-cache in California; but the coordinates that get revealed after going to the locations are for a cache in Utah.  Likewise, a Utah cacher has a multi-cache, that eventually reveals the coordinates for my cache in California.  Cachers need to "team up" with each other to exchange the coordinates for their own location.

There are two separate caches, one in Utah and one in Calfornia.  It takes some coordination to set up, and not many cachers will invest the time and effort to solve the multi, then wait for the complementary info from another cacher.  But it has had a few finds, and those that have completed it seemed to have liked it inspite of some frustrations!  

https://coord.info/GC7WY70 and https://coord.info/GC7WZ25 are the two "Teamwork" caches if you want to look at how this works.

• Upvote 3