Back in the game...geocaching

campermama

It's been many years since I did geocaching (when my kids were little), now they are grown and gone and I decided to give it a go again. I have a Montana 610t, I love it but......well I like to pick an area and download all the geocaches for that area then I hike from one to the other. I get lots o exercise while I have fun doing it! My issue....I pick a geocache on my GPS and then say GO, it routes me in a roundabout way to the geocache using roads and unpaved roads. I have set it on hiking, and do Not lock on roads and everything else I can think of to try to get it to just get me there. Nothing seems to work. I finally stopped using the "GO" and just point myself in the direction of the cache and head that way.

Am I missing something or is pointing myself in the right direction the only way I can do this if I am hiking and not driving?

Thanks!

25 minutes ago, campermama said:

Am I missing something or is pointing myself in the right direction the only way I can do this if I am hiking and not driving?

There are Profiles, which are sets of settings.  Select the Geocaching Profile, for example, set it up how you like, and the settings are saved automatically.  I changed a few, and I also made a "CachingCar" Profile, because I want to route on roads while driving.  While walking, "Direct Routing" may be what you want.

Here's a site that shows how to choose settings. In "Setup", look particularly at Routing, Profiles, and Geocaching:

https://www.gpsrchive.com/Montana/index.htm

Edited by kunarion
54 minutes ago, campermama said:

Have you set the routing option to "Direct Routing"? Every other routing option than "Direct Routing" will route using roads, paths etc. So, the most common routing option for geocaching is "Direct Routing".

Edited by Henne1312