Caches turn into Waypoints

I normally select a few caches by adding them to a list and then, using Garmin Express, transfer the list to my GPSMAP64s. Now I cannot be certain whether or not they will show as caches or waypoints. Over the past week I have experimented with this and I don't think it's me that's going daft!!
I can send a list across and the GPS will show the items as caches. I can then send some ore across and they will become waypoints along with those already sent, so not only are the caches being converted to waypoints but something is converting those already on the unit. It's all very hit and miss and I cannot predict the outcome of any transfer, it's just annoying as waypoints don't allow me to access the full cache information.
I got rid of a previous GPSMAP62stc because of this problem. Could it be a software error as I've just had an update??
Anyone else got this problem as any help would be most appreciated.

I don't believe that the newer units (ie, Colorado and forward) are capable of reading .loc files. Therefore Garmin Express wouldn't write a .loc file to a 64s. It's possible that Garmin Express is doing something weird to the GPX file and not just passing it straight through to the GPS. Luckily, the new list interface lets you download a .gpx file of your list directly, which is one option to try.

If that still doesn't work, try deleting the databases (the whole SQL folder on the device). These will be rebuilt upon boot up.

1 hour ago, Suffolk Dumplings said:

I can send a list across and the GPS will show the items as caches. I can then send some ore across and they will become waypoints along with those already sent, so not only are the caches being converted to waypoints but something is converting those already on the unit.

There will often be waypoints (parking places, trailheads, etc.) as well as Geocaches.  Are you getting GC codes in your waypoint window?

You should post the steps that you're using.  You send a List with "Send To Garmin", then unplug and see Geocaches listed, then plug into USB again and send several Lists, at which point all caches may become waypoints?  Is it different Lists or just one with different caches in it? 

Have the GPX files changed?  Throughout the process, Lists should remain GPX files of Geocaches.

It would be good to know if you're processing stuff through Basecamp or if some helper software is installed that might be intercepting GPX files.

Edited by kunarion
14 minutes ago, Mineral2 said:

Luckily, the new list interface lets you download a .gpx file of your list directly, which is one option to try.

That's great!  One reason I almost never send "Lists" to my Garmin is requiring the Garmin to get the GPX file directly.  What the OP describes is malformed files sent directly to the device.  Although I can't tell if that's what happened in this case, it has previously happened.  I prefer that buffer of seeing the file before I place it, and of course placing it in the correct folder manually.

Edited by kunarion
4 minutes ago, kunarion said:

One reason I almost never send "Lists" to my Garmin is requiring the Garmin to get the GPX file directly.

I'm fairly confident that Garmin Express re-processes the data it receives from Geocaching.com. I suppose I'll have to do some file comparisons to verify that, now that we can get the list GPX files directly. But It's rare to get a gpx file from Garmin that is corrupt, and only happens when the engineers fiddle with the gpx creation code (like that time they dropped the "z" from the date-time stamp and caused GSAK and iCaching to not recognize the hidden date).

15 minutes ago, Mineral2 said:

I'm fairly confident that Garmin Express re-processes the data it receives from Geocaching.com. I suppose I'll have to do some file comparisons to verify that, now that we can get the list GPX files directly. But It's rare to get a gpx file from Garmin that is corrupt, and only happens when the engineers fiddle with the gpx creation code (like that time they dropped the "z" from the date-time stamp and caused GSAK and iCaching to not recognize the hidden date).

If a List is sent directly, is it bit-for-bit identical to the "download" file (the un-processed one)?  I just stick to the most reliable protocol :anicute:.  For now, that seems to be Pocket Queries.  I use Lists, but most of those are set up as PQs.

It could be a new weirdness of Garmin Express.  But how it changes caches already loaded, I can't say, unless the OP's various lists contain those same caches.   In which case, they're loaded again as waypoints.

Edited by kunarion