cache distance

Jayeffel

Is the distance between caches strictly a straight line measurement? I am considering a new cache near my house Burt have another cache that may be too close. It may meet distance requirement if the measurement would take in consideration the distance a person would need to walk around building etc.

Edit it: I can always go to the contemplated cache spot and then use my iPhone to see the distance to the other cache. Make it a lot easier!

Edited by Jayeffel

I just checked the distance  from that spot to the existing cache, it is 494 feet so no go!

I can always archive the other and place a new one, but doubt that I will. I like the other one better. The new one could be observed from inside our house.

Back to the drawing board

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1

A reliable way to check the distance between two sets of coords is the Boulter website  LINKY

It's using coordinate geometry that produces the same results as Geocaching.com.

Your phone likely has errors of +-30ft at both ends of the measurement, where it is, and where it's measuring to.  

So there's a chance that the 494 is really 527 ;-)   or something that may work.

If you put your proposed cache coords into Search, it too will provide a distance from the public coords of other cahces, but it provides a rounded distance and may tell that it's too close when it's just barely okay.

• Helpful 3