Map goes black with each refresh

Sages

I have the geocaching iPhone app version 8.7.0 and it has worked fine. This morning I updated my IOS to 13.2 on my iPhone XR. Now when I have the geocaching app open and navigating to a cache the map turns black for an instant and then reloads. This is repeated continuously and the map will flash black from once a second or less often to twice a second. What is going on and how do I make the map seamlessly refresh. By the way, this only happens as I am moving. I noticed it in the car as I was moving but it will do it as I walke too. It does not do this if I am standing in one place. I have deleted and reloaded the app with no help. Now I have just discovered it is tied in with the map type I am using. It does it with a Trails map but is fine with Street, Satellite and Hybrid. Of course I like the trails map because I cache in the desert and it is nice to be able to see the trails as well as the roads, etc.

Edited by travelingsages

I tried it just now on wifi at home.  Switch to the map from any other function, and the map reloads.  Scroll or zoom, and edges or the entire map reloads.  It typically takes from a half second to 4 seconds, and the "Loading Geocaches..." notice takes even longer.  In the meantime, there's a black grid area of unloaded map tiles.  It flickers as you scroll or zoom and sometimes map scrolling freezes while everything catches up.  This is all new, it used to be pretty smooth.  It looks like tiles are not cached, or a server is flaking out.  Or something.

Version 8.7.0
iOS 13.1.3
iPhone 8

IMG_2269.jpg

Edited by kunarion

Yes, I’m having the same issue with my XR as well...constant flashing/ refreshing, and has been getting worse...but ‘only’ when I’m navigating with the compass function. If I just have the map up, it works fine; once I toggle the compass icon at the top away it goes! (Photo)

So for me it is a conflict between the map and compass; may be something the devs could look at to see what is happening there...

D0040FF3-9577-49EC-9679-718F1357B853.png

My wife and I each purchased new iPhone 11s.  We both have exactly the same problem identified by "travelingsages" above.  I happened to be at Geocaching Headquarters a few days ago and while I was there I demonstrated this problem to them.  They were not aware of this issue and committed to alert the software techs.  Hopefully we will see resolution soon. 

Edited by Engicators
  • Helpful 1
On 11/7/2019 at 11:22 AM, kunarion said:

I tried it just now on wifi at home.  Switch to the map from any other function, and the map reloads.  Scroll or zoom, and edges or the entire map reloads.  It typically takes from a half second to 4 seconds, and the "Loading Geocaches..." notice takes even longer.  In the meantime, there's a black grid area of unloaded map tiles.  It flickers as you scroll or zoom and sometimes map scrolling freezes while everything catches up.  This is all new, it used to be pretty smooth.  It looks like tiles are not cached, or a server is flaking out.  Or something.

Version 8.7.0
iOS 13.1.3
iPhone 8

IMG_2269.jpg

This has been happening to us lately on our android. Caching the other day, only a blue screen came up. I panicked a little because we were on our way to another city to find it. I then turned on "location" and the map came up.