List versus Pocket Query

Randy58

PQs have additional search options not available through the website's Search feature (or any API-based search).  They can be created from existing Lists (just a downloadable package of Listed items), or a dynamic search using its filters, or generated from a route matching the closest caches to the route up to a maximum proximity.

Like Lists they are limited in quantity - 1000 at most.

They can be set to auto-generate, which is beneficial for people who set up a regular timed script to download and populate offline devices. Some software has integrated features with that ability.

There are some who think they're obsolete, but they're certainly not - they have their strengths, and a number of uses and features that Lists don't have. Not that they're essential, but they're useful to people who find them useful :)

1 hour ago, Randy58 said:

I've always used Pocket Queries.  What is the difference between a Pocket Query and the List feature.  I'm trying to figure out which one I should use.  Note:  I cache with a handheld GPS'r and an iPhone smart phone with the geocaching.com app.  

Each is useful in its own way. And they complement each other. I use a Garmin hanhdheld for Geocaching, and carry a smartphone as a backup database and for functions not available on the Garmin. I load the Garmin with everything in a cache area, then load an offline list of select caches onto the phone, the main ones I'd like to hunt on the trip.

You can make Pocket Queries from Lists, and as mentioned the contents of the PQ changes dynamically with changes to the List. There are limits to running Pocket Queries where Lists aren't as limited. Pocket Queries are somewhat better suited for a handheld GPS (especially if you use GPX files for special mapping software or don't have a modern Garmin), Lists are a little better for the official phone App. Features overlap, but for a paying member, it's good to be familiar with both.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1

I use lists and PQs the following way:

1) Create a list of caches based on a common theme (interesting caches someplace I'll be visiting is my main list type)

2) Create a PQ from that list so I can see the list on a map on the website (under PQ I use the preview map feature associated with the PQ).  I never actually run the PQ since I just use an app to find caches these days and don't need to download anything.

3) Update the list as needed (adding / deleting), which automatically updates the map associated with the PQ preview

Typically when I go to a destination I'll skip 99% of boring caches for two or three caches that look interesting, especially if I'm time limited.  On a recent trip I used project-gc to find caches that filled in Jasmer boxes and some high favorite point caches.  I only found a couple of the Jasmer caches (amazing how a T1 can change to a T4 over 18 years).

• Upvote 1