What happened to the Google Earth kml?

xtqx1

Quite some time since I used this feature for the last time.

Today I tried to use the Waymarking kml in Google Earth.

Much to my dissappointment it only produces this message:

Network KML Error

There has been an error in the Network KML File.

Well, obviously there is an error, but how to fix it?

As the search for waymarks on the site itself is more than -insert impolite words here-  the GE overlay was my primary source for looking after them.

Anyone got any idea on how to fix this?

Unfortunately there are no lines with coordinates in the kml, see code below.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<kml xmlns="http://earth.google.com/kml/2.0">

<NetworkLink>
  <open>1</open>
  <name>Waymarking Network KML</name>
  <description>Waymarking.com waymarks located in the view window of Google Earth.</description>
  <open>1</open>
  <visibility>1</visibility>
  <refreshVisibility>0</refreshVisibility>
  <Link>
    <href>http://www.Waymarking.com/kml/kml.aspx?key=7RzjI%2FrGQIjzMpPIenKZMQkb%2Bsh5kLla6wDwL3IG2edlAxS4batSec5Q5DyqTKQoRScVzgYLIpm8dbfbOKZ0Nw%3D%3D&amp;</href>
    <RefreshMode>onChange</RefreshMode>
    <viewRefreshTime>1</viewRefreshTime>
    <viewRefreshMode>onStop</viewRefreshMode>
    <viewBoundScale>0.8</viewBoundScale>
  </Link>
</NetworkLink></kml>

Perhaps there's something wrong with the key?

I had the exact same problem a week or so ago. To get it working again, I clicked on the link that you highlighted in your latest post and, instead of using "Open with" I used "Save file". Double clicking the saved file works OK for me so worth a try! If it does work, don't forget to move it from the "Temporary Places" in Google Earth to "My Places" otherwise you may lose it when you close Google Earth.

20 hours ago, Master Mariner said:

I had the exact same problem a week or so ago. To get it working again, I clicked on the link that you highlighted in your latest post and, instead of using "Open with" I used "Save file". Double clicking the saved file works OK for me so worth a try! If it does work, don't forget to move it from the "Temporary Places" in Google Earth to "My Places" otherwise you may lose it when you close Google Earth.

I did it the same way and the kml file works as expected. I noticed a few differences between my kml file and the code that xtqx1 posted: A different key and "<href>http://www.Waymarking.com...." is written with a small "w" in Waymarking. So maybe you should download the kml file as described by Master Mariner.

Well this is strange, did like you suggested but the error still remains.

Told GoogelEarth to be more verbose about errors and it says

Error while parsing file "***.kml" at line 13, column 4: Unknown element <RefreshMode>

This is weird, since RefreshMode should work. My version of GoogleEarth is 7.3.2.5776 (64-bit), perhaps there is a bug with that version.

Which version do you run?

Edit: Tried to revert to 7.3.1 but without success.

Edited by xtqx1
new info added

Something else you could try... that also works for me! Save the kml file as you have  probably done before and then open the saved file in a text editor. It should look similar to:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<kml xmlns="http://earth.google.com/kml/2.0">

<NetworkLink>
  <open>1</open>
  <name>Waymarking Network KML</name>
  <description>Waymarking.com waymarks located in the view window of Google Earth.</description>
  <open>1</open>
  <visibility>1</visibility>
  <refreshVisibility>0</refreshVisibility>
  <Link>
    <href>http://www.Waymarking.com/kml/kml.aspx?key=... m8v%2Fqjbxv4oIV9ylnQ%3D%3D&amp;</href>
    <RefreshMode>onChange</RefreshMode>
    <viewRefreshTime>1</viewRefreshTime>
    <viewRefreshMode>onStop</viewRefreshMode>
    <viewBoundScale>0.8</viewBoundScale>
  </Link>
</NetworkLink></kml>

I have deleted part of the "key" to make it more readable and replaced with "...".

If you go to the end of the "<href>" line, the one containing the key, you will see, towards the end of the line "&amp;" delete those five characters and then save the kml file. If You now double click on the kml file it should open in Google Earth.

Is anyone else still having issues with the KML? I've used it many times in the past, but I just tried it and it won't load. I get the same error that xtqx1 posted above. Looking closely at the key, I can see that there are "special" (non-alphanumeric) characters encoded in it (the ones like "%2B"). In my case, I have a %2F, which is a forward slash. I bet this extra slash in the URL is tripping things up. Those who aren't having an issue have probably just gotten lucky and don't have a slash in the key that's generated. Since it used to work for me and doesn't now, I'm guessing the key is regenerated occasionally. Unless HQ sees this and fixes the key generator to not use slashes, I guess I'll just have to wait some undetermined period of time and see if I get a new key without any extra slashes.

Guess what:

Tried the *.kml today.

At first there ws a message about an error in line soandso...

Boldly clicked on "ignore" and waited.

Took some time but at last the Waymarking.kml did load waymarks located in the current view.

I have no idea whether there has been any change or fix, but at the moment it is working for me.