Feature Request: County Identification on Cache Page/GPX

South Lyon Trekkers

I use GSAK to add additional information to a log of each of the caches I am looking for, when using my GPSr. One of those pieces of information is what county a cache is in. Having the county information already on the cache page and in the GPX file would be very helpful. It would also appear on the app. I would really like to see this information added to the cache information.

• Upvote 1

Technically, that info is only available via Project-GC. The cache owner doesn't provide it, and afaik HQ doesn't maintain the county boundaries in-house.

Consider installing Project-GC's browser extension for your browser. It has an option which replaces the supplied Region/Country info on listings with Project-GC's location information based on coordinates, showing Country, Region and County (which is the data point used to verify challenge checkers if relevant).  It's a worthwhile add-on.

I was reading about that. I have not tried that, but was thinking of doing so. A question I have about the extension is: does that extension add the county info to the PQ, or does it just add it when viewing on a map within Project GC or Geocaching.com? Right now, with GSAK, I can load the original PQ from Geocaching.com in to GSAK, then run the macro to add info to the PQ. Lastly, I load the PQ into a GPSr through GSAK. Ideally, I'd like to avoid all the processing and just have it there.

At this point there's no way around that to my knowledge. Project-GC holds the county data for the checkers. There are GSAK scripts that identify counties, but there's no guarantee those boundary lines will match with PGC unless pulled directly from them. I don't believe there's a script that will update GSAK county data with data requested from Project-GC.  Personally, I use gsak as a guide, but I have a caches that don't match between my own gsak data and PGC's challenge checkers because the county lines aren't precisely equal.

A gsak script that updates the cache data with PGC counties would be a good one to have, for challenges' sake.

52 minutes ago, South Lyon Trekkers said:

I was reading about that. I have not tried that, but was thinking of doing so. A question I have about the extension is: does that extension add the county info to the PQ, or does it just add it when viewing on a map within Project GC or Geocaching.com? Right now, with GSAK, I can load the original PQ from Geocaching.com in to GSAK, then run the macro to add info to the PQ. Lastly, I load the PQ into a GPSr through GSAK. Ideally, I'd like to avoid all the processing and just have it there.

If you add "YB", without the quotes, in the blank County update box near the bottom of your load settings dialog box it will update the county column when you import your PQ, there is no need to run the county update macro.

• Helpful 2

Case in point: That update doesn't use Project-GC's data.  The couple of caches I have which register a different county due to the differences of the county polygon data update to a different county than as registered on Project-GC.

But yes, that way will automatically update counties without having to run the macro manually. And for the most part it won't be an issue. The only concerns are when a cache is on or near a county border, and may load a different county than PGC (which is used for challenge checkers)