deactivate trackable dog tag?

SimmyJellers

hello- i found a trackable dog tag the other day. apparently it was not already active and/or owned by anyone. when i went to log it, it asked for my code. i did the step to get the code. i didn't realize until it was too late that i was adding it to my ownership. can i deactivate it, then leave it for someone else to have/own? i don't want to own another trackable, i'd rather someone else that might want it find it. thanks for any help!

AFAIK you can only offer it up for adoption now.  Possible that Geocaching  HQ could help,  but I feel they'd probably tell you the same.   :)

Curious, did it say it was unactivated on a baggie or something ?

We see a lot of logging errors these days (not sure why...), one being new folks not understanding how to activate their trackables.

40 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

AFAIK you can only offer it up for adoption now.  Possible that Geocaching  HQ could help,  but I feel they'd probably tell you the same.   :)

Curious, did it say it was unactivated on a baggie or something ?

We see a lot of logging errors these days (not sure why...), one being new folks not understanding how to activate their trackables.

Thank you for the reply. inside an ammo can, loose, no baggie, nothing attached, nothing noted.

how do you offer up for adoption?

There's good info on adoptions in the help center.

Trackables might need you to attend an event, meet someone on-trail, etc., and ask if they want it.

- There's really no way to "make the announcement" you want to be rid of it otherwise.  

The reason I asked about a baggie or something, is we sometimes leave our unactivated gecoins as swag.

- But we say it's unactivated on it's baggie, and mention it in our Found It log.

If me, I'd first look and see if someone mentions "dropping a trackable" in logs, looking for a trackable time-frame to match, and if none, odds are you found your owner.  :)