Can I enter a different date for a log?

21 hours ago, desert georangers said:

Maybe I'm just missing it, but it doesn't seem possible to enter a found it log for a different date. For instance, if I find some caches one day and can't log them until the next day. If this is possible, I'd sure like to know how to do it. 

As is implied by the other posters, this isn't something you can do in the app. It seems like basic, essential functionality, but they've never chosen to add that feature. I guess they just assume that everyone will always log their finds right away. Judging by the countless mis-dated logs I see, this is most certainly not the case.

• Upvote 2

Thanks for the replies.  I knew it could be done on the website, but I wanted to know if it could be done on the app.  If anyone with influence reads this, it's on my wish list.  I switched from a third party app that was had lots of options like this.  Unfortunately, that app is no longer supported and lost functionality following the API change.  

On 10/27/2019 at 6:36 PM, Goldenwattle said:

Of course you can. I do this all the time on my computer. If I don't get to log that day I change the date to the actual date I found the cache, rather than the date that is now showing. Just go to 'Date Logged:' above the comment area and change the date.

This thread is for the App, not what you can do on the website. At present, I don’t believe there is a way to change the log date on the app, which I also find most frustrating. My workaround is to make sure I save a draft (even if it’s blank) at the moment of find to mark the correct time and date. The drafts feature will also save your logs in order of find even if you write your final logs out of order. While I would also like the app to feature an option to change the date on both cache finds and trackable finds, this workaround is usually fine and, yes, there is also the option of changing the date on the website. 

7 hours ago, tumbleweed42 said:

This thread is for the App, not what you can do on the website. At present, I don’t believe there is a way to change the log date on the app, which I also find most frustrating. My workaround is to make sure I save a draft (even if it’s blank) at the moment of find to mark the correct time and date. The drafts feature will also save your logs in order of find even if you write your final logs out of order. While I would also like the app to feature an option to change the date on both cache finds and trackable finds, this workaround is usually fine and, yes, there is also the option of changing the date on the website. 

The workaround with the limitations with apps, is to use a computer to log. That's why I don't log with an app. That encourages a decent log; while logging on apps encourages logs such as :TFTC' "Ta' "Nice". Those examples are three logs, not even one. Apps have killed good logging practices. Use a computer and write a proper log..

• Upvote 2
On 10/28/2019 at 9:19 PM, The A-Team said:

Judging by the countless mis-dated logs I see,

Just to I understand this sentence my question is: what is mis-dated log?

The help center states:

You can log caches online as "Found" after you visited the coordinates and signed the logbook. You can also add a photo or a Favorite point to your online log.

Please take time to write at least a few sentences when you log your find — this is how you say “thank you” to the cache owner for creating and placing the geocache.

EarthCaches and Virtual Caches have different logging requirements.

No word about what date to log the found, same day or any day later.  My understanding was, I found the cache today and I log today or any date later which I think is appropriate for me.  I know people which log all there finds of the month at the same day at the end of the month.

Edited by Mausebiber
5 minutes ago, Mausebiber said:

The help center states:

You can log caches online as "Found" after you visited the coordinates and signed the logbook. You can also add a photo or a Favorite point to your online log.

Please take time to write at least a few sentences when you log your find — this is how you say “thank you” to the cache owner for creating and placing the geocache.

EarthCaches and Virtual Caches have different logging requirements.

No word about what date to log the found, same day or any day later.  My understanding was, I found the cache today and I log today or any date later which I think is appropriate for me.  I know people which log all there finds of the month at the same day at the end of the month.

"Mis-dated" would be any date other than the date found, at the finder's location.  The point of this thread is that you cannot select anything other than "today's date" that The Official App chooses, although you may have found it on a different date.

5 hours ago, Mausebiber said:

Like kunarion said, it would be any log where the date attached to it is (likely) different than what the logger intended. The place I see this the most easily is on events, where it's obvious which date the loggers would have intended. For example, pick any Mega event that has already happened and you'll see countless logs dated far after the event. I don't know for sure, but I suspect that a lot of these occurrences are due to the use of the mobile app where the date can't be changed. Even if that isn't the case, it only seems logical that one should be able to back-date a log through the app, since you can pretty much everywhere else (the website, other apps, etc.).

You can start a draft log when you find the cache. This preserves the date and time of the find so that when you do submit it, it will submit for the correct date. Your draft also gets saved remotely and can be opened later on a computer or other device or app to finish and submit. But a quick draft (can even be empty or minimal text) at the time of finding the cache can be done even out of data range and submitted later.

• Helpful 1
On 11/28/2019 at 8:01 PM, Goldenwattle said:

The workaround with the limitations with apps, is to use a computer to log. That's why I don't log with an app. That encourages a decent log; while logging on apps encourages logs such as :TFTC' "Ta' "Nice". Those examples are three logs, not even one. Apps have killed good logging practices. Use a computer and write a proper log..

Wow that’s pretty presumptuous of you. I can safely say I have NEVER written a single word log and do 99% of my logging from an iPhone. Here’s proof from my profile page. 

AE81D3AD-FF3A-48C9-87E5-A53F17CF6FD9.png

• Upvote 1
On 12/17/2019 at 1:20 PM, Mineral2 said:

You can start a draft log when you find the cache. This preserves the date and time of the find so that when you do submit it, it will submit for the correct date. Your draft also gets saved remotely and can be opened later on a computer or other device or app to finish and submit. But a quick draft (can even be empty or minimal text) at the time of finding the cache can be done even out of data range and submitted later.

And this is my usual MO, but I do occasionally forget in the excitement of a find to add a draft. 

On 12/24/2019 at 9:56 PM, tumbleweed42 said:

Wow that’s pretty presumptuous of you. I can safely say I have NEVER written a single word log and do 99% of my logging from an iPhone. Here’s proof from my profile page. 

AE81D3AD-FF3A-48C9-87E5-A53F17CF6FD9.png

I never said that everyone writing logs on an App writes short logs; only that it encourages short logs. Your words, "that’s pretty presumptuous of you" to suggest that's what I wrote.

On 12/25/2019 at 11:26 PM, Mineral2 said:

I dislike typing on my phone. So I speak my logs. :anitongue:

I did not even know that could be done! Never noticed the mic icon on the log entry page. but never looked either. May save a lot of rewriting of logs

I normally write a brief log using the iPhone app when finding, or not finding, a cache. Then later at home rewrite or edit the log. When in the field I can barley see what I am typing so there are usually errors which I can correct later. Maybe speaking will help there.  

I put in the wrong date (march 3rd instead of 2nd). I went back and changed to the 2nd and the log shows it as the 2nd, BUT, the date is still missing under statistics (Finds for Each Day of the Year) it's still counted for the 3rd. Is it just a delay or limits in how you can correct mistakes?
I have filled all missing dates and would not be to happy having a hole suddenly....Clipboard01.jpg.f36d696f403628b372e8b1ca54565bc8.jpgClipboard02.thumb.jpg.0ecb5a5dc894326933c763605a29c70b.jpg

Try refreshing the statistics page, and if that doesn't sync things up, then log out of the website, and log back in again.  

I just checked your profile and it looks like you  have 1 find on each of the 3 days of March:
image.png.e72af4d12fea27c8e98ca6f6a18af128.pngFill that grid!!!

Edited by CAVinoGal
15 hours ago, CAVinoGal said:

Try refreshing the statistics page, and if that doesn't sync things up, then log out of the website, and log back in again.  

I just checked your profile and it looks like you  have 1 find on each of the 3 days of March:
image.png.e72af4d12fea27c8e98ca6f6a18af128.pngFill that grid!!!

Thanks for your feedback. I did refresh and restart the browser at the time with no luck and got "nervous" but the change kicked in a little later and I'm all good.
And yes, I'm trying to fill that grid.....

• Upvote 1