Coming Soon: PaterQuest

Jamie Z

In four days I will be embarking on PaterQuest. My goal is to catch Pater in his Mississippi state lead.

Right now, Pater47 has 41 finds in Mississippi, I have 18. With 24 more finds in the state, I can overtake him.

Will I be successful? What will I see during my travels? Will Pater run me off the road when I come through his town?

Watch this space.

Jamie

Guess you're going to pass me. Think I have 21 finds in MS. I worked in the Jackson area for a couple of months. If I'd had Pocket Queries and a PDA when I was there I'm confident I could have surpassed Pater at the time. I think last time I looked before Dan's States Page quit I was the number 3 finder in MS.

Mike

Never forget, It's just a game.

Of course, I've been really busy these last few days moving caches away from their posted coordinates! icon_wink.gif Just kidding (maybe). I thought surely mikemtn was going to catch me back when he was in the Jackson area for awhile. mikemtn, did you ever tackle secret agent man? Not nearly as tough as it's appearance. JamieZ, let me know if you plan to hit any of my caches - I'll leave a special prize in there for you (hint:the woman of your thoughts). By the way, Jamie, ever heard of a deskmate named Tahni - looks kinda similar to her icon_biggrin.gif I'm at 41 Mississippi right now and will probably hold close to there for awhile. I've run out of close ones. Closest ones now will have to be on a Bama run.

Stamp out and eradicate superfluous redundancy.

Of course, I've been really busy these last few days moving caches away from their posted coordinates! icon_wink.gif Just kidding (maybe). I thought surely mikemtn was going to catch me back when he was in the Jackson area for awhile. mikemtn, did you ever tackle secret agent man? Not nearly as tough as it's appearance. JamieZ, let me know if you plan to hit any of my caches - I'll leave a special prize in there for you (hint:the woman of your thoughts). By the way, Jamie, ever heard of a deskmate named Tahni - looks kinda similar to her icon_biggrin.gif I'm at 41 Mississippi right now and will probably hold close to there for awhile. I've run out of close ones. Closest ones now will have to be on a Bama run.

quote:
Originally posted by Web-ling:

41 finds, and that's the most? I've got 280 finds in Texas, and I just got passed by Geo Dee, who has 312. I gotta get over to Mississippi. 41 caches would be a decent weekend icon_biggrin.gif

Come on over. You might even find all of Mississipi in a weekend.

Mike

quote:

41 finds, and that's the most? I've got 280 finds in Texas, and I just got passed by Geo Dee, who has 312. I gotta get over to Mississippi. 41 caches would be a decent weekend icon_biggrin.gif

Come on over. You might even find all of Mississipi in a weekend.

Mike

quote:

41 finds, and that's the most? I've got 280 I gotta get over to Mississippi. 41 caches would be a decent weekend.

Be prepared for a lot of driving.

I don't have any true numbers, but I expect probably about 1600 miles of driving in my circuit of the state.

Pater... yes, I do plan to hunt for some of yours. Actually, I was thinking we could meet up and hunt a cache or two.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to post my logs immediately, as will be leaving home (again) almost as soon as I return from PaterQuest.

I'm going to try to con a local cacher (Pssst, Salvo!) into posting real-time updates as I travel.

Any other Mississippi cachers want to join me for a cache or two during PaterQuest?

Jamie

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie Z:

Dan has just fixed the stat page, so here are the state rankings:

http://www.insidecorner.com/geocaching/stats/states.cgi?country=United%20States&state=Mississippi

Which makes it clear that I need to overcome Pater's three _hidden_ caches too... I have a goal of 43 finds now.

Jamie

Dan missed one - I figure it's the one I placed while the page was down. What's more, as of right now, two of them are virgins. Although Mississippi is still way behind most of the states in caches and cachers, they have increased 4-fold since I started 10 months ago. As more caches are placed and more cachers get active, I fear my lead will quickly falter. Surely someone in the Jackson area or Northwest area (like, ahem, maybe even Memphis) will emerge as Alpha cacher.

....and so the saga continues.... Who will reign as king of Mississippi caching after PaterQuest? Will pater hold on to emerge victorious after the invasion? Will Jamie get sidetracked by his quest for a bed? Will B8P launch a surprise attack from cajun country? Will pater plant enough mitsuko decoys to keep Jamie confused? Will B8P get attacked by the feral Wal-mart bags known to inhabit cache sites in West Mississippi? Will pater be actively pursuing other caches in the state during PaterQuest? Will this dog outside ever shut up - oh wait, where was I? Will mikemtn return to pick up where he left off in his original coup attempt? Stay tuned as the journey unfolds! icon_biggrin.gif

....and so the saga continues.... Who will reign as king of Mississippi caching after PaterQuest? Will pater hold on to emerge victorious after the invasion? Will Jamie get sidetracked by his quest for a bed? Will B8P launch a surprise attack from cajun country? Will pater plant enough mitsuko decoys to keep Jamie confused? Will B8P get attacked by the feral Wal-mart bags known to inhabit cache sites in West Mississippi? Will pater be actively pursuing other caches in the state during PaterQuest? Will this dog outside ever shut up - oh wait, where was I? Will mikemtn return to pick up where he left off in his original coup attempt? Stay tuned as the journey unfolds! icon_biggrin.gif

You boys are on your way to the Tonight Show. This should be interesting.

When I get my brand spanking new Garmin GPS76S next week, I may hit the cach trails again.. OR, perhaps I'll just grab my Legend and do some caches this weekend to scare y'all some.

BTW, anyone want to purchase my Legend with a Garmin carring case, car power cord and dash mount? :-) When wiffie finds out about the new GPS, and she may not be a happy camper, I'm pretty sure I won't be needing two units. :-(

Archie

Jackson Area

[This message was edited by archiedh on August 11, 2002 at 07:45 PM.]

My "Tie One On" cache is no longer virgin. A newbie got her today. Amazing that it stayed unhit for almost two months to be conquered by a first timer just before your quest begins. I will still be leaving your bonus souvenir in this cache unless I hear otherwise that you definitely won't be hitting that one. It's looking like next week is going to be a very busy one for me at work. Don't know if I'll be able to join you on any or not. Three of my caches have my phone number in them and the other tells you where I am most of the time.

quote:
Originally posted by pater47:

mikemtn, did you ever tackle secret agent man? Not nearly as tough as it's appearance.

I looked at Secret Agent once and couldn't figure out exactly what it was. I did look at the logs or something and got to the final leg and the place was closed or something. I never did get back to it. I'm kinda from the Old School of Geocaching. Hide box, post coordinates, find box (or not find box) log find (or not found).

I got a Pocket Query for the Mississippi Caches I've not found. I don't know whether to take a shot at the title or wait for JamieZ to see what He can do. Dang, I keep forgetting, numbers don't mean anything.

Mike

Pater,

I sure do plan to hunt for Tie One On... but that reminds me that I've forgotten to grab a trade item for that cache.

Just a day and half to go before commencement.

Any Mississippi cachers want to get together during PaterQuest? Email me a phone number where I can reach you. I'll call you when I get near your area and we can work together to topple the reigning king.

--and if anyone knows anything about the Carousel Cache, please email me. It's the only questionable cache in the state, and the owners haven't responded to emails or a log.

Pater... I'll nab your number and give you a call.

Jamie

PaterQuest is about to begin.

In about 15 more minutes, at 5:00am central time, I will be leaving to locate the first of many Mississippi caches during the next six days.

I'm just making a last minute check of Mississippi caches to see if there have been any more posted.

Here goes nothing.

Jamie

As of last night, he had 5 physicals and one virtual. He was planning to hit the Gulf Coast today. I figure he'll do the Hattiesburg/Laurel cluster tomorrow and possibly make it up to my area tomorrow evening or Thursday.

quote:

As of last night, he had 5 physicals and one virtual.

Actually, he had another find. A macro cache in New Orleans. He took one coffee table, left nothing. icon_wink.gif

I emailed Jamie the coordinates to my house and he arrived right around 8:30 last night. Nice guy. We (he) logged into the chat last night and we shot the bull for a while. Had a good time.

I'm anxious to see how many he can nab.

quote:

Actually, he had another find. A macro cache in New Orleans. He took one coffee table, left nothing. icon_wink.gif

I emailed Jamie the coordinates to my house and he arrived right around 8:30 last night. Nice guy. We (he) logged into the chat last night and we shot the bull for a while. Had a good time.

quote:
Originally posted by rpecot:

quote:

At least not for his quest for Mississippi domination. My opinion of him as a cacher will greatly diminish if he doesn't pull this off and take over. That is, take over for the time being. I'll be making more runs soon myself and we've got a few relative newbies (cachercarry, archiedh, to name a couple) who are hungry for caches and could be contenders in the near future. Unfortunately, I don't know of any caches in the state that coffee table is going to fit in! icon_razz.gif

quote:

quote:

At least not for his quest for Mississippi domination. My opinion of him as a cacher will greatly diminish if he doesn't pull this off and take over. That is, take over for the time being. I'll be making more runs soon myself and we've got a few relative newbies (cachercarry, archiedh, to name a couple) who are hungry for caches and could be contenders in the near future. Unfortunately, I don't know of any caches in the state that coffee table is going to fit in! icon_razz.gif

quote:

quote:

quote:

At least not for his quest for Mississippi domination. My opinion of him as a cacher will greatly diminish if he doesn't pull this off and take over. That is, take over for the time being. I'll be making more runs soon myself and we've got a few relative newbies (cachercarry, archiedh, to name a couple) who are hungry for caches and could be contenders in the near future. Unfortunately, I don't know of any caches in the state that coffee table is going to fit in! icon_razz.gif By the way, I thought I had made a Jamie sighting earlier today. I saw a truck with a TN tag hauling a canoe on the highway. I pulled up beside it though, and unless Jamie has aged 20 years and had a sex change operation, it wasn't him!

Visit the Mississippi Geocaching Forum at

http://pub98.ezboard.com/bgeocachingms

quote:

quote:

quote:

At least not for his quest for Mississippi domination. My opinion of him as a cacher will greatly diminish if he doesn't pull this off and take over. That is, take over for the time being. I'll be making more runs soon myself and we've got a few relative newbies (cachercarry, archiedh, to name a couple) who are hungry for caches and could be contenders in the near future. Unfortunately, I don't know of any caches in the state that coffee table is going to fit in! icon_razz.gif By the way, I thought I had made a Jamie sighting earlier today. I saw a truck with a TN tag hauling a canoe on the highway. I pulled up beside it though, and unless Jamie has aged 20 years and had a sex change operation, it wasn't him!

I just spoke w/ Jamie icon_biggrin.gif(albiet briefly, his battery chg on his handset was near 0).

He asked if I would post the update so far on this thread:

So far, 17 have been found as of this moment.

Sunday, 8/11 he found 5

Monday, he had plans -an off day

Tuesday, 8/13 he had found 10

Wednesday, 8/14 so far he has found 2 and was in route to a couple more at this time.

All attempted caches were found with the exception of 1 so far, Gov Shelby's Courage, a no find for that one. He spent a good amount of effort looking high and especially low on the correct tank.

His spirits are high, and the body is going strong. I think he'll pull this one off! icon_biggrin.gif

I just spoke w/ Jamie icon_biggrin.gif(albiet briefly, his battery chg on his handset was near 0).

He asked if I would post the update so far on this thread:

So far, 17 have been found as of this moment.

Sunday, 8/11 he found 5

Monday, he had plans -an off day

Tuesday, 8/13 he had found 10

Wednesday, 8/14 so far he has found 2 and was in route to a couple more at this time.

All attempted caches were found with the exception of 1 so far, Gov Shelby's Courage, a no find for that one. He spent a good amount of effort looking high and especially low on the correct tank.

His spirits are high, and the body is going strong. I think he'll pull this one off! icon_biggrin.gif

Salvo,

Thanks for posting the update.

Pater, tomorrow should be the day.

I'm at Cachercarry's house right now, we're planning our Mississippi river run for next week.

PaterQuest stats:

Sunday: 5 found, plus one virtual.

Monday: Spent the day on a crew boat running around the oil platforms in the Gulf of Mexico.

Tuesday: 10 found

Wednesday: 7 found (including two multi's), one no find, and I had to skip one because of darkness.

Tomorrow is Jackson, then I'll move east and see how far I can get... Friday is north toward Tupelo.

Cachercarry advised me of the archival of Pelahatchie bay, which is a bummer, since I've carried my bicycle all the way just for that cache! Now I have a coffee table and a bike in the back of my truck along for the ride.

I didn't bring my canoe, although I considered it... and there haven't been any women in my truck for a very long time ( icon_confused.gif) so that wasn't me.

quote:
Originally posted by Pater47:

My opinion of him as a cacher will greatly diminish if he doesn't pull this off and take over.

Hmm... you know before I started PaterQuest, I would have thought this comment was right on... but after spending three days caching from sunup 'til sundown.. I can tell you trying to catch you is not easy.

You would not believe how much this trip is beating me up--but there's nothing... well, er, there's only one other thing I'd rather be doing.

Time to get some sleep.

Jamie

Salvo,

Thanks for posting the update.

Pater, tomorrow should be the day.

I'm at Cachercarry's house right now, we're planning our Mississippi river run for next week.

PaterQuest stats:

Sunday: 5 found, plus one virtual.

Monday: Spent the day on a crew boat running around the oil platforms in the Gulf of Mexico.

Tuesday: 10 found

Wednesday: 7 found (including two multi's), one no find, and I had to skip one because of darkness.

Tomorrow is Jackson, then I'll move east and see how far I can get... Friday is north toward Tupelo.

Cachercarry advised me of the archival of Pelahatchie bay, which is a bummer, since I've carried my bicycle all the way just for that cache! Now I have a coffee table and a bike in the back of my truck along for the ride.

I didn't bring my canoe, although I considered it... and there haven't been any women in my truck for a very long time ( icon_confused.gif) so that wasn't me.

quote:
Originally posted by Pater47:

My opinion of him as a cacher will greatly diminish if he doesn't pull this off and take over.

Hmm... you know before I started PaterQuest, I would have thought this comment was right on... but after spending three days caching from sunup 'til sundown.. I can tell you trying to catch you is not easy.

You would not believe how much this trip is beating me up--but there's nothing... well, er, there's only one other thing I'd rather be doing.

Time to get some sleep.

Jamie

JamieZ finished up PaterQuest at roughly 7 p.m. this evening with Legion of Caches. During the trip he accumulated 35 Mississippi finds to bring his total up to 53 in the state, making him the new leader. The go-ahead cache was Lost Rabbit 2. He will be posting all his finds sometime in the near future but starts his canoeing the Mississippi River trip almost as soon as he gets back. I will let him fill you all in on the "special circumstances" that added a little degree of difficulty to the final cache. Stayed tuned for PaterQuest II - The Wrath of Pater, coming to the Mississippi Gulf Coast.

quote:

Stayed tuned for PaterQuest II - The Wrath of Pater, coming to the Mississippi Gulf Coast.

That's why a purposely left a number of caches in the Tupelo area unfound... so's I can answer any offensive moves. icon_razz.gif

That's right. With seven caches on the final day of PaterQuest, I've finished with 35 (plus one virtual and two no-finds) for the trip, and 53 total for the state. I finished the trip off with two caches placed by Pater himself with a special bonus for me at each. Pater joined me on my final find

When I left for PaterQuest, I felt sure I could get at least 40 caches. My first day only netted five, which was pre-planned, since I'd found many along the same route just a few months ago.

On my winding way back north, I had a general idea of the order in which I'd get them, and some thoughts about how many I might be able to do each day. I just wasn't expecting the types of caches I encountered.

Even with my 6:30am alarm clock and my searches until darkness overcame me... my daily total never climbed higher than ten.

The caches (I hadn't already found) in Mississippi are not only spread out in rural areas of the state, but a great majority of the caches I searched for during PaterQuest took an hour or several to complete, not to mention the relatively long drives between caches. Most caches had hikes of at least a half-mile involved, some much more than that.

Pater (and anyone else) has at least a week to catch me while I'm not looking. I will be on the Mississippi River, and although there are two caches with easy riverbank access... they won't add to my total, since I've already found both of them.

The logs for PaterQuest will take several weeks to post. The river trip with Cachercarry is next week, and then the following week is the beginning of school.

I'd like to compose fairly decent logs for each of the caches, and to write all 38 of them and thread them into a story will take some time.

I've got good notes, and lots of memories. I hope I can share them in an interesting way.

Thanks Pater for the challenge and the great ending to my journey.

Jamie

quote:

Stayed tuned for PaterQuest II - The Wrath of Pater, coming to the Mississippi Gulf Coast.

That's why a purposely left a number of caches in the Tupelo area unfound... so's I can answer any offensive moves. icon_razz.gif

That's right. With seven caches on the final day of PaterQuest, I've finished with 35 (plus one virtual and two no-finds) for the trip, and 53 total for the state. I finished the trip off with two caches placed by Pater himself with a special bonus for me at each. Pater joined me on my final find

When I left for PaterQuest, I felt sure I could get at least 40 caches. My first day only netted five, which was pre-planned, since I'd found many along the same route just a few months ago.

On my winding way back north, I had a general idea of the order in which I'd get them, and some thoughts about how many I might be able to do each day. I just wasn't expecting the types of caches I encountered.

Even with my 6:30am alarm clock and my searches until darkness overcame me... my daily total never climbed higher than ten.

The caches (I hadn't already found) in Mississippi are not only spread out in rural areas of the state, but a great majority of the caches I searched for during PaterQuest took an hour or several to complete, not to mention the relatively long drives between caches. Most caches had hikes of at least a half-mile involved, some much more than that.

Pater (and anyone else) has at least a week to catch me while I'm not looking. I will be on the Mississippi River, and although there are two caches with easy riverbank access... they won't add to my total, since I've already found both of them.

The logs for PaterQuest will take several weeks to post. The river trip with Cachercarry is next week, and then the following week is the beginning of school.

I'd like to compose fairly decent logs for each of the caches, and to write all 38 of them and thread them into a story will take some time.

I've got good notes, and lots of memories. I hope I can share them in an interesting way.

Thanks Pater for the challenge and the great ending to my journey.

Jamie

just six today. not quite enough to catch back up. I had hoped to hit some TN caches too today, but Geocache by Quercus took me A LOT more time than anticipated and then after part one of Roundabout, I needed to head back. Besides, I was too pooped to go any further. Hopefully I'll get the logs up tomorrow evening.

I'm probably about 30% finished with the logs. I created a template page for each cache, and now I'm going through and composing the story for each one.

After I have them all posted, plus pictures, I'll have to go back through each one to make sure the links point where I want them to...

So... when you get e-mail notification that I've posted a log on a cache you're watching, that doesn't mean the whole deal will be ready yet. I'll post on this thread when they're good to go.

Jamie

Uh oh..

I have some discouraging news.

Due to a double log I made way back on a cache in Vicksburg, Dan's stat page had me with an extra Mississippi find that I didn't really have.

As it turns out, I had 17 Mississippi caches to begin PaterQuest, and ended with 52 total for the state.

I've emailed Dan to correct the error, and within a week or so (I'm feeling ill the past few days, so little has been done) I'll be posting my PaterQuest logs.

Jamie