Retirees just starting gc

Geojeannie68

That is what I use, 99.95 % of the time . I use he geocaching app on iPhone. I have an Etrex 20 I use now and then. Just remember the Iphone will get you within ca 30 feet, so the cache may be in a 60 for area. And the phone signal is not always present.

Edited by Jayeffel
On ‎10‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 1:02 PM, Geojeannie68 said:

Any tips for an old retired couple newly moved to Texas? Can we simply use our phones to find stuff?

You can most likely use phones, depending on the phones.  There's an official Geocaching App in smartphone stores, where you may try it out.

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, Jayeffel said:

And the phone signal is not always present.

The GPS on your phone works without cell service. However, your app won't be able to download cache data or map data without a network connection (cell service or a wifi network). So if you're going geocaching in areas without cell service, then you'll need to load cache (and perhaps map) data before you leave your network connection.

Welcome to Texas!

Yes you can use your phone with the Geocaching App from play store or whatever its called on your phone. In my part of East Texas, before the turn of the decade, we'd get dropouts standing in the driveway even though the tower is located about a mile and half away. Thankfully that is a resolved issue (we hope).

Didn't have the GPS the other night so Nicole grabbed the phone, and set out to find a nearby cache while I drove. We were within 13 feet when the message popped up "you have arrived." First for me to learn the app did that.

So yes, the phone will work fine, depending on the area you are caching. I still find the GPS simpler (I'm not phone savvy). On that note you don't need a $500 handheld GPS to enjoy geocaching. Etrex20 or Etrex30 is about $150 on Amazon. 

You got questions. We got answers (well, somebody here got answers).

G

• Love 1

Hubby and I began this "hobby" in March of 2017, after his retirement in Dec. 2016.  Up until recently, we've only used our phones to find and hide caches.  We found a Garmin Etrex 30x on sale at Costco for $130 and decided to be "real" geocachers (as some consider it) and use a dedicated GPSr, or at least learn how to use one.

He hasn't explored it, but I have done a couple of outings using only the GPSr, rather than my phone.  FORCING myself not to go back to the phone, and JUST use the GPSr.  It works, accuracy seems to be a bit better?, and I'm planning a hike tomorrow with caches loaded and hoping to do all on the GPSr, uploading to GSAK and logging via that interface.  Granted, using my phone, logging drafts as we go, and filling in details later seems simpler, only because that's the way I've always done it.  The GPS device is smaller, way better battery life, and the end result is the same.  Everyone does what works for them!

4 hours ago, ecanderson said:

You should be able to add your 'drafts' as you go on the 30x as well.  After you hit "Found", hit "Add comment" instead of "Done".  This will add that information to each entry in your drafts that you upload when you get home.

Sure, I *could* - but typing on the 30x is cumbersome, as compared to using my smartphone.  I prefer to simply hit "found it", then Done or Next closest and make any observations or notes with a pen and notebook as I go.  Still, you are correct, I can log a note (or draft) on the 30x as well.

18 hours ago, CAVinoGal said:

Sure, I *could* - but typing on the 30x is cumbersome, as compared to using my smartphone.  I prefer to simply hit "found it", then Done or Next closest and make any observations or notes with a pen and notebook as I go.  Still, you are correct, I can log a note (or draft) on the 30x as well.

Usually the only info I add as a comment in the draft on my GPSr is the tracking number of any trackable that I dropped there.  Sometimes a brief comment like "lid cracked" or something like that.  

On 11/17/2019 at 9:28 PM, CAVinoGal said:

This will undoubtedly open up an old can of worms, but your explanation is exactly why I chose a touch screen model instead of a 'button' model.  Field notes.

35 minutes ago, ecanderson said:
On 11/17/2019 at 8:28 PM, CAVinoGal said:

This will undoubtedly open up an old can of worms, but your explanation is exactly why I chose a touch screen model instead of a 'button' model.  Field notes.

I hear that!  I'm enjoying using the Etrex 30x - it's small, I can use it one handed, and the battery life is amazing.  BUT, since I "learned" goecaching with the phone app on a 5" touchscreen, it does feel like a step backward to cache with a GPSr. I am glad I'm learning how to use it, it's a double check on coordinates and a backup if we need it.  So we got an inexpensive, pretty basic unit to learn on.

When (IF?) we upgrade, I think I would like a touchscreen, and the "geocaching live" feature,  making it more like the smartphone app.  Or maybe I'll just stick with my smartphone!!