Which builder?

longwhatton34

Sorry if this has been asked before; I have an idea for a Wherigo where the posted coords don't need to be visited (similar to most puzzles) but the rest of the zones need to be visited in order to unlock the final location. However, I want these to be able to be visited in any order convenient to the cacher. I think it's possible as I have seen a couple of other Wherigos where the initial coords do not need to be visited, and others where the zones can be visited in any order. Which builder should I be using (it's my first Wherigo) and how easy is it to do? Thanks

I've only done the "tour" version if the Wherigo Kit builder and it won't do what you want, as the zones are sequential.  It doesn't appear "Lights Out" would work for you either which leaves you, by default, with Earwigo or Urwigo.  Both involve a learning curve (not too bad but certainly not "easy" in the true sense of the word).

I looked at both the GS builder and Kit and have come to the same conclusion. I had a go with Urwigo and it appears to require zones to be visited in sequential order, although I'll look at it again in light of your reply and see if I missed something. I'm currently waiting for access to Earwigo in order to try that.

Edited by longwhatton34

Yeah, you could do "Lights Out", actually.  Just put the cartridge's posted coordinates elsewhere.  You can then make groups of zones that can be visited in any order (either all or a certain number).  If you just need one group of zones, that's fine, too.  And the last group would have one zone, which would be the final.

If anything, you could start with that kit, then move over to another comprehensive builder when you have the basic cartridge done.

• Upvote 1
22 hours ago, Ranger Fox said:

Yeah, you could do "Lights Out", actually.  Just put the cartridge's posted coordinates elsewhere.  You can then make groups of zones that can be visited in any order (either all or a certain number).  If you just need one group of zones, that's fine, too.  And the last group would have one zone, which would be the final.

If anything, you could start with that kit, then move over to another comprehensive builder when you have the basic cartridge done.

Good to know.  I've not played around with Lights Out but based on the description, apparently I didn't quite understand it.

On 10/27/2019 at 1:53 PM, longwhatton34 said:

I've got one group of six zones, and a message containing the final coords appears when all six have been visited. I've tried it on the emulator and it works when I 'visit' all zones in a random order.

Looks like you've already answered your question.  Yes, you can have it display the final zone and coordinates after visiting all zones in any order.

On 10/28/2019 at 8:11 AM, coachstahly said:

Good to know.  I've not played around with Lights Out but based on the description, apparently I didn't quite understand it.

Then perhaps I didn't do my job properly and describe it properly.  I remember the goal of the Lights Out game was to turn all the lights out.  The goal of the Lights Out kit is to visit all or some of the zones, then move on to the next group (or the final).  Naming things can be hard.  Perhaps I should have called it something like the Zone Group kit.