Logging Geocaches

LZScout

I have a Garmin Montana GPS. It gives me the normal options for logging a cache  (Found It, Did Not Find, Needs Maitenance). Using these actions creates a geocache.visits text file that I can upload to geocaching.com to log my finds. When I find a cache in bad shape, can I log the find by just logging a "Needs Maitenance" entry or do I also have to have the GPS log a "Found It" (requires locking up the cache again and logging the find)? To illustrate, here is a section of my latest geocache.visit file that I uploaded to the site:

GC15AVQ,2019-10-16T15:37Z,Found it,"Cont and log need repv"
GC15AVQ,2019-10-16T15:38Z,Needs Maintenance,""

I fix the remarks when I enter the uploaded drafts.

The "Found It" log indicates that you found the cache.

The "Needs Maintenance" log indicates that the cache needs maintenance.

They are separate logs, although the new logging system confuses things because it generates an automated "Needs Maintenance" log when someone posts a "Found It" or "Did Not Find" or "Note" log and then uses the "Report a problem" link at the bottom. The old logging system (which I don't think works with field notes drafts any more) kept the two logs separate.

Welllll, we log Redwood, Douglas Fir in these parts.  LOL

Back to topic ... I have noted that many of the Apps and GPS related "on the fly logging systems" are less than stellar.  

My more advanced buddies frequently grumble about "having to go back in" to correct erroneous entries made via the electronic wizardry.

After having had 2.5 weeks of logging disappear from the "systems".  I decided to keep one foot in the pen and paper world. 

I keep hard copy of cache visitations and am subject to much playful ridicule by my more "advanced" caching buddies.  GUESS WHAT >>>>>> the old geezer with pen and paper has bailed out those who operate in the electronic mode. 

Yes I do have my fun explaining to my more advanced buddies where the batteries are housed in a pen and paper system. 

Geo-HUGGGZZZZ to all