Historical murders

The Rat

I'm starting a new Cliff Knowles Mystery. It's based on an old unsolved murder mentioned in a geocache. I know the approvers don't usually allow caches discussing recent murders or grisly descriptions, but some caches have mentioned murders from long ago of a historical nature. One example is GC4BXT0. Does anybody have any other good examples? I'm especially interested in ones in or near graveyards but don't limit responses to those. I think the rules about such things were more lax in the early days, so maybe even archived caches that were active for a long period would interest me.

One I've found is GC865F at the site of an unsolved 1963 double murder in Lane Cove, a riverside suburb in northern Sydney. I was eight years old at the time and can remember hearing about it on the news. A few years ago a new theory was proposed that it mightn't have been a murder at all, rather they died from toxic gases coming from the nearby swamp.

• Upvote 1
35 minutes ago, barefootjeff said:

One I've found is GC865F at the site of an unsolved 1963 double murder in Lane Cove, a riverside suburb in northern Sydney. I was eight years old at the time and can remember hearing about it on the news. A few years ago a new theory was proposed that it mightn't have been a murder at all, rather they died from toxic gases coming from the nearby swamp.

Without even looking it up I know it was the Bogle/Chandler mystery. Many rumours at the time but the gas one seems to be a good fit.

The Trailside Murders caches originally had a much more troubling name.   The Jack the Ripper series was an interesting tour of East London and the ripper crime scenes.  Murder in the Desert also comes to mind.  The Black Dahlia is the grave of a victim of an unsolved murder.   At the moment I am not too far away from a Son of Sam cache but doubt I'll make it there on this trip.  

Joe Hill Lives might Include two murders - counting Joe as one of the victims

There are several caches that focus on the Zodiac Killer but I am not sure there are any where the killings occurred.

I have a cache that focuses on the last political duel in California where one person died - a homicide if not a murder.

Edited by geodarts
On 10/24/2019 at 10:22 AM, The Rat said:

I'm starting a new Cliff Knowles Mystery. It's based on an old unsolved murder mentioned in a geocache. I know the approvers don't usually allow caches discussing recent murders or grisly descriptions, but some caches have mentioned murders from long ago of a historical nature. One example is GC4BXT0. Does anybody have any other good examples? I'm especially interested in ones in or near graveyards but don't limit responses to those. I think the rules about such things were more lax in the early days, so maybe even archived caches that were active for a long period would interest me.

Have found most of what's within a large radius here, and I can't think of one in the area off hand.  Will spend some time digging back through some GSAK logs looking for titles that I might have forgotten.

But you can bet I'll enjoy sitting down with Cliff again when the time comes.  If not for your note here a while back, I'd have never known about the series.  Since you said you had chucked Amazon as a distribution network, can you give us an idea how future volumes will be accessed?  If it's a bit too OT for this forum, a PM would be much appreciated.